Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Wish-List Omnibus! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2016 at 7:16pm | IP Logged | 1  

Old pros like John Buscema, Gil Kane, Steve Ditko, Gene Colan, Jose Luis Garcia Lopez, and others (just because they worked so long and did so much) have a bunch of hard to find random stories that were printed here and there (an annual here, an anthology there, Marvel Comics Presents, Marvel Fanfare, etc.) that I would LOVE to see collected in an omnibus or similar form.

Marvel has done some VISIONARIES editions, but those are weird mixes of rare stuff and other things that have been reprinted a dozen times; some sort of "RARITIES" series would be great!
Back to Top profile | search

Brandon Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2016 at 8:46am | IP Logged | 2  

Does an omnibus HAVE to be 1,000 pages for $100 and weigh 20 pounds? I wouldn't mind some SMALLER omnibuses.

Of course, I had no problem buying the three Neal Adams BATMAN collections for $150 total!

The ones with lots of pages that retail for about $100 or $125 are the norm but there are smaller ones as well. Marvel did an omnibus that collected the 17 issues of Superior Foes of Spider-Man for $50. There's an upcoming Dr. Strange Ommnibus that collects the entire Lee/Ditko run, which is 456 pages for $75. It's annoying, though, when smaller ones like the Elektra Omnibus have a $100 cover price and only have 400 pages. Incidentally, the three Neal Adams Batman collections plus Batman Odyssey are collected together in one Batman by Neal Adams Omnibus now. It has a $100 cover price but I saw it on Amazon listed for $45.39 several months prior to release so I preordered to lock in the price!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2016 at 12:50pm | IP Logged | 3  

I was hoping IDW's revival of ROM might somehow lead to a ROM Omnibus collecting all of the Marvel issues, but…

ROMnibus!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2016 at 12:51pm | IP Logged | 4  

ROMnibus!

Exactly!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2016 at 12:51pm | IP Logged | 5  

I'm not giving up hope on a classic ROM collection just yet.  IDW and Marvel are on great terms, and the fact that ROM's seeing the light of day at all is a good sign. It would be really difficult to do a reprint that just cuts out the Marvel stuff, especially since Marvel seems to own the Spaceknights, and the final year of the original book was especially heavy on guest stars.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2016 at 3:52pm | IP Logged | 6  

I'm just sad that they have (apparently) ceased publishing the softcover MARVEL MASTERWORKS editions!  They're still doing the hardcovers, but, really, why should two pieces of cardboard double the price?  For softcovers, they're switching to the EPIC COLLECTIONS, which is fine for the 70's and 80's stuff, but I wish they had gone farther with the MM 60's stuff.  I have the whole Stan Lee/Jack Kirby FANTASTIC FOUR in ten volumes, but they stopped SPIDER-MAN and the rest before they reached their 100th issues!  I will miss the painted covers and the Stan Lee/Roy Thomas introductions.

Brandon Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2016 at 8:02am | IP Logged | 7  

I would like to see collections that reprint chronologically all Richie Rich appearances. It would be a daunting task, since Richie Rich has had over 50 titles at one time or another! Of course, it was seven years after he first appeared before he got his own title, so the first few years would be mostly 5-page stories. The prime period would be between 1960 and 1982 (when Harvey Comics went out of business). When Harvey resumed publishing in 1986, the number of titles was greatly reduced. I estimate around 1700 Richie issues altogether. A significant portion of the material would be reprints, which would reduce the amount of material to collect. Also, stories with characters not in the Richie Rich universe proper (like Little Dot and Little Lotta) would not need to be included. It wouldn't even have to be in hardcover. Something like Marvel's Epic Collection series would be nice.

Marc Cheek
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2016 at 8:53am | IP Logged | 8  

Well that's one I never thought of Brandon! Along those lines, an similar collection of SAD SACK would be pretty cool.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2016 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 9  

I'm just sad that they have (apparently) ceased publishing the softcover MARVEL MASTERWORKS editions!

Me, too. I bought almost every Marvel Essentials collection for years, then switched to the paperback Masterworks when I realized that I wanted the best stuff--Ditko and Kirby--in color.

I'm glad those collections went as far as completing Ditko's Spider-Man and Doctor Strange, nearly completing Kirby's FF, and covering the entire history of the X-Men from issue 1 all the way through the end of the Phoenix Saga...but now I've got to figure out if I want to switch over to out-of-print hardcovers or go with those Epic Collections until Marvel pulls the plug on those. 

Jason Larouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2016 at 3:23pm | IP Logged | 10  

I would like to see DC put out a hell of a lot more pre-crisis collections. They have been getting slightly better at it, but only a few years ago it was pretty hard to find pre-crisis comics for even heroes like Batman and Superman (besides the really early stuff). 

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2016 at 10:09pm | IP Logged | 11  

Jason, it is getting better. DC is
putting that stuff out but under the
writer or artist.

For Batman, there are collection for Jim
Aparo, Alan Davis, Marshall Rogers, Gene
Colan, Archie Goodwin and Len Wein.

Superman has collections for Jose Luis
Garcia Lopez and Gil Kane. Others may
exist but those are the ones I know about.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2016 at 12:27am | IP Logged | 12  

DC is planning a LOT of Silver Age and pre-CRISIS trade paperbacks, and some are already starting.  (Who would have thought a BLACK LIGHTNING trade would be the first thing after the NEW TEEN TITANS volumes?)  It's like the dam has broke!

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version