Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Abortion = Felony (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 May 2016 at 9:11am | IP Logged | 1  

How is that misleading? The denser the population, the closer one is likely to be to a facility that provides abortions.

Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2016 at 11:18am | IP Logged | 2  

I couldn't believe it when this story showed up on my Facebook page last night. Land of the free? :/

And, yes, I concur with what has been said: it's a shame that they aren't as concerned about life when it comes to people being shot due to the availability of guns.

I'm no legal expert, but wouldn't this be unconstitutional in many ways?

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 20 May 2016 at 11:23am | IP Logged | 3  

The denser the population, the closer one is likely to be to a facility that provides abortions.

Yes but that's true of everything.  Someone living in a sparsely populated area would have to travel further to get to a Wal-Mart; why wouldn't they have to travel further to get to an abortion clinic?  There is undeniable attack on women's rights and shutting down clinics, I just don't think that map is particularly reflective of it.  An area with few people just isn't likely to have an abortion clinic.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 May 2016 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 4  

I don't know the source of the abortion clinic map, but is it really an "attack"?

Doesn't it show that for a large part of the population getting an abortion is a major adventure even without considering the various moral and physical ramification? Anti-abortionists tend to portray abortion clinics as if they are second only to ATMs in terms of availability. The truth is something else.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 20 May 2016 at 11:37am | IP Logged | 5  

The "attack" wasn't in relation to the map; I was acknowledging that there is indeed a push by Conservatives to make getting an abortion difficult.  I just don't think that map is a clear indication of it because it does seem to correlate with populate density. 

Sure someone in rural Wyoming probably has to go far for a clinic, but they probably have to go far for a dentist too!  My grandparents' lived in the boonies and it was a 30 minute drive to the nearest convenience store (or the not-very-convenient store).

I'm not trying to make light of the lack of availability, but there's context too.  If there's only a handful of people living in an area, there probably isn't going to be a clinic.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2016 at 1:15pm | IP Logged | 6  

THOM:Sure someone in rural Wyoming probably has to go far for a clinic, but
they probably have to go far for a dentist too!

SER: But I wonder how far they have to go to buy a gun? A friend who grew up
in a densely populated area was surprised to learn how relatively easy it was to
find a gun shop in a rural part of the South.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Monte Gruhlke
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2016 at 1:51pm | IP Logged | 7  

"Once again, the life of the unborn is considered more important than the life of the mother."

And I'll suggest that the life of the baby, the moment it is born, is even less important. In fact, most often the direction goes from saving a life to endless years of shaming it by the very same people.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2016 at 2:09pm | IP Logged | 8  

I'm with Monte. None of these "pro-lifers" give a damn about the baby once it's born, to judge by their lack of support for working moms, affordable day care or other taxpayer-funded amenities that would make their lives bearable.
Which is one more reason to have no respect for them or their "beliefs."

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2016 at 3:07pm | IP Logged | 9  

We should strive to reduce the need for abortions, not the access to them.  Every hospital should be able to perform them.  That would nip all this shit in the bud.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 20 May 2016 at 5:37pm | IP Logged | 10  

Oklahoma governor vetoes bill that would criminalize abortion

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2016 at 5:41pm | IP Logged | 11  

What pisses me off is that some states (mine included) allow pro life license plates but do not allow pro choice plates. The reasoning for not allowing pro choice plates is that doing so might incite violence.

Sorry, but if you can't/won't allow pro choice plates, then I don't believe pro life plates should be allowed, either.

(And personally, I believe abortions should be illegal purely as birth control, but should be allowed in the case of rape, incest, danger to the mother or if the baby will be born extremely mentally or physically impaired to the point of making their life unbearable. If a state doesn't want to allow abortions, then they should have to set up anonymous drop-offs at hospitals and orphanages for unwanted babies that result from the instances I mentioned.)

Edited by Brian Floyd on 20 May 2016 at 5:44pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jeremy Simington
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2016 at 9:02pm | IP Logged | 12  

And just when you thought Oklahoma couldn't get any stupider, the floor sinks another few feet:

Separate Bathrooms by Religion? Oklahoma Opens New Front in Transgender Debate

"Oklahoma lawmakers have introduced a bill that would allow students torequest on religious grounds that their public schools provide a bathroom orother facility that bars transgender people."

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version