Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Q For Mr. Byrne - Justice League Europe (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2016 at 6:11pm | IP Logged | 1  

Mr Byrne, any views on the premise that was Justice League Europe and super-teams getting spin-off teams in other cities/parts of the world?

Thanks!
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 May 2016 at 8:02pm | IP Logged | 2  

Nope!

Wish I had more to say!

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2016 at 8:31pm | IP Logged | 3  

I enjoyed the Great Lakes Avengers, which seem a related topic.

Great Lakes Avengers seemed in part to parody the idea of regional spin-off teams. But the point did not seem to be that these were or were not inherently a good idea-- just that the idea could get diluted or extreme to the point of silliness. And, being a JB story, these characters did not turn out as shallow or easy to dismiss as they may have appeared.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2016 at 2:51am | IP Logged | 4  

Nope!

Wish I had more to say!

That's fine, always happy to hear a reply from you. :) Thank you.

I don't mind the idea of regional teams, in the same way that I understand the likes of the FBI or CIA have offices throughout a country or throughout the world.

Even when we're talking about super-speed or flight, no character can be everywhere at once. When I eventually set up a super-team, I may well have a team on each continent (except Antarctica, where nothing seems to happen!). 

Edited by Robbie Parry on 29 May 2016 at 2:52am

Taavi Suhonen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2016 at 4:19am | IP Logged | 5  

Hey now, having an Antarctica team is important. That's where you put your G'norts and Scarlet Skiers.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2016 at 4:50am | IP Logged | 6  

It WOULD have made sense years ago when it would have taken the Avengers or the FF hours to travel from New York to the West Coast or wherever, but now that we DO have regional teams, comic book technology has advanced so far I think the Avengers could get anywhere they need to be within half an hour or an hour.

Watching a movie or TV show from the 70's or 80's, I'm struck by how many plotlines depended on two characters getting separated and having no way in the world to reach each other!  One little invention like the cell phone renders a lot of fiction obsolete.  Likewise, a super-supersonic quinjet or teleportation system, etc. makes regional teams just an excuse to sell a spin-off title.

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2016 at 5:06am | IP Logged | 7  

"...comic book technology has advanced so far I think
the Avengers could get anywhere they need to be within
half an hour or an hour."

Unless they're busy "elsewhere" (like, SERIOUSLY
elsewhere - Asgard, Negative Zone, etc). Always a
reliable fallback!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2016 at 5:16am | IP Logged | 8  

It WOULD have made sense years ago when it would have taken the Avengers or the FF hours to travel from New York to the West Coast or wherever, but now that we DO have regional teams, comic book technology has advanced so far I think the Avengers could get anywhere they need to be within half an hour or an hour.

I echo Trevor's comments. If the Avengers' hi-tech mode of transportation is grounded in New York whilst they battle Juggernaut and Destroyer, then I hope Warsaw or Berlin has a super-team to defend it if attacked!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 May 2016 at 5:25am | IP Logged | 9  

I echo Trevor's comments. If the Avengers' hi-tech mode of transportation is grounded in New York whilst they battle Juggernaut and Destroyer, then I hope Warsaw or Berlin has a super-team to defend it if attacked!

••

I was baffled by DC's decision to move the JLA's headquarters to the Moon. On Earth, no point can be more than about 12,000 miles from any other point. From the Moon, that distance becomes 250,000 miles! How is this better?

(That distance is what tends to derail traditional sci-fi notions of military bases on the Moon "policing" the Earth with atomic missiles. Aside from the difficulty of accurate aim over a quarter of a million miles, there's the matter of response time. A military Moonbase works only as a "dead man's switch," a threat that retaliation is still possible even if ground forces have been wiped out. Of course, and enemy would still have about three days to stop those incoming missiles!)*

_______

* It's often been noted that America wasted a lot of effort on our space program by basing out rockets on missile technology. Boosters were built filled with complicated hardware, based on ICMBs. But ICBMs needed all that fancy wiring to guide them with a fair degree of accuracy to their targets. All boosters need to do is fall down!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2016 at 5:30am | IP Logged | 10  

Fascinating stuff, Mr Byrne. Makes much sense.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2016 at 1:10pm | IP Logged | 11  

The Moon base was stupid.  It's amazing how many of these decisions by higher-ups are things a six year-old would know are dumb.

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2016 at 2:38pm | IP Logged | 12  

Isn't this a sort of trap line of thinking, though?  We're talking about comic books and fiction where anything should be possible.

Teleporters, magic, etc. can easily take care of this issue unless the whole team is preoccupied for some reason.

I like the idea of having regionally located teams but it really shouldn't be because the heroes can't get to someplace.

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version