Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 20 Next >>
Topic: Again and again. (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2016 at 9:05am | IP Logged | 1  

The problem with such 'debate' is that they'll always throw something at you. You'd spend more time telling them WHY swimming pools are not a valid comparison with guns than you'd spend on the actual issues.

And they would throw anything out there eventually. Shut down the swimming pool comment and this person will mention irons/wheel clamps/microwave ovens, etc.

I hate the false equivalency, anyway. I cut my wrist once on a cereal box. Yes, a cereal box (I opened it and the flaps were a bit sharp). Didn't require hospital treatment, didn't touch a vein. Thankfully. Almost anything one can think of could cause death, accidentally or on purpose. But guns are a separate issue and should remain one.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 June 2016 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 2  

The Second Amendment grants the right to keep and bear arms (under specific circumstances), but nowhere does it say those guns should be unregistered. In fact, following logically from the wording of the Amendment, keeping track of who has guns, and how many, would be necessary in support of "a well regulated militia."

Not much point in granting the right if nobody knows who has how many guns when heavily armed bears come down the road!

Tim Cousar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2016 at 11:31am | IP Logged | 3  

The Second Amendment does not grant the right to keep and bear arms. The Second Amendment says that right shall not be infringed.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 June 2016 at 11:38am | IP Logged | 4  

The Second Amendment does not grant the right to keep and bear arms. The Second Amendment says that right shall not be infringed.

•••

sigh

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2016 at 12:49pm | IP Logged | 5  

Speaker Paul Ryan calling this sit-in a stunt?? How about Ryan gaveling out until July or turning off CPAN's cameras?? So much for transparency and doing the will of the people.

If we can't get movement on an issue with over 80% or 90% public approval, then I think we all know where the blame lies in this case.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2016 at 1:17pm | IP Logged | 6  

"It’s a politically convenient thing to imply — and House Democrats sitting on the floor of the House since 11:30 a.m. aren’t shy about implying it — that House Republicans shut off the normally unblinking eyes of the C-SPAN cameras to try to hide the Democrats’ sit-in demanding a vote on gun control.

Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) even accused House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) of doing it himself.

But that’s actually not the whole story. In fact, the cameras are turned off as a matter of procedure when the House isn’t in session — and the Democrats are essentially forcing the House out of session with their sit-in. It also seems worth noting that, when the tables were turned eight years ago and Republicans were doing a sit-in, both the cameras and the lights were also off.

So let’s put partisan politics aside and explain the real reason the C-SPAN cameras — the only cameras allowed in Congress — are off."

More at https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/06/22/th e-real-reason-c-span-cameras-arent-showing-democrats-gun-con trol-sit-in/?postshare=321466657780791&tid=ss_tw

Matthew Chartrand
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2016 at 5:38pm | IP Logged | 7  

A fully catered sit-in with access to bathrooms and showers in a modern government building. Gee, how will they survive.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 June 2016 at 6:39pm | IP Logged | 8  

Nobody told me ethics had to be uncomfortable.

Guess I might as well take down the new ByrneRobotics banner. After all, it costs me nothing to have it up.

Incidentally, I call bullshit on the cameras being off because the house is "not in session." Representatives are carrying out their business (literally) on the floor. I've seen the cameras on with only one Rep reading himself into the Record.

Matthew Chartrand
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2016 at 6:50pm | IP Logged | 9  

Politicians with ethics? Does such a beast exist?

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2016 at 7:14pm | IP Logged | 10  

I guess some people just don't care to see the point of WHY these politicians would stage a sit-in this past week.

Message lost... so easily... by the ignorant.

-C!

Edited by Charles Valderrama on 25 June 2016 at 7:15pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 June 2016 at 6:50am | IP Logged | 11  

LINK

If he'd only had a gun to protect himself!

Matthew Chartrand
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2016 at 8:06am | IP Logged | 12  

Not ignorant just cynical, thank you very much. I'm all for gun control. I've never owned a gun. I just don't believe this sit-in will change any minds. I hope i'm wrong.

<< Prev Page of 20 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version