Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Happy Birthday, Mr. President. . . (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2016 at 9:43am | IP Logged | 1  

Yes, JB, but we're a Christian country*!!!!

*note: this is sarcasm
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 June 2016 at 10:22am | IP Logged | 2  

Yes, JB, but we're a Christian country*!!!!

••

That may be a big part of the problem!

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2016 at 10:38am | IP Logged | 3  

While I'm sure it was around long beforehand, I first came across the idea in the comic series "The Shadow Strikes" by Gerard Jones that in order to attain the Kingdom of Heaven, you must be forgiven for your sins. No sins means no forgiveness. No forgiveness, no entry, so... by all means, by every means, sin. Sin like there's no tomorrow. God can't forgive you your sins if you don't have any.

This came up again recently in dealing with a very, very Christian, dried-apple-headed little sweetie of a grandma at work. She was a horrible person, smiling as she stuck the knife in people and giggled behind their backs. She'd turn people in, refuse to give them their mail, throw things away, and generally perform her job with unprecedented mediocrity because, well, she didn't owe anyone HERE anything. Her allegiance was to God and God forgave her. As long she came clean about it on Sunday in that little booth, she could behave however she liked everywhere else the rest of the week. Life as a Christian is Good. It's Very Good.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 21 June 2016 at 5:13am | IP Logged | 4  

After the announcement that the Trump campaign has a pathetic $1.3 million on hand, #TrumpSoPoor began trending on Twitter. My favorite? #TrumpSoPoor that he's being sponsored by a kid in Africa.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2016 at 9:30am | IP Logged | 5  

He just doesn't want to use his own money.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2016 at 9:46am | IP Logged | 6  

God can't forgive you your sins if you don't have any.

I'll become Christian, then. And get drunk all week. And spraypaint cop cars. And then I'll listen to the most demonic metal music all night long!

On the subject of Trump, the whole thing has become like the worst comedy you can imagine.

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2016 at 6:13pm | IP Logged | 7  

And the punchline is: he could still end up president!

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2016 at 11:18pm | IP Logged | 8  

A lot of people will never, ever vote for a woman as president. And a huge segment of the population has been successfully convinced that Clinton is a criminal, despite the lack of charges brought against her. She's likely the most investigated politician in history and none of accusations against her have stuck. She should be the most vindicated individual in our country by now, but that's not how it plays to the cheap seats. 

A dirty, lying, murdering criminal as President? A woman?? Unthinkable to vast swathes of our nation's people. Trump stands a pretty damn good chance at this point of becoming the leader of the free world.

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2016 at 11:28pm | IP Logged | 9  

I'd like to say Brian's wrong but (anecdotally, yes) I have heard "It's a man's job" much more than I ever heard "It's a white man's job", and it really takes the wind out of my sails.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2016 at 2:30am | IP Logged | 10  

But, Trump will make sure manufacturing comes back to the USA. How can you argue with that.

It's not like he manufactures his products in China or anything.

Is it?

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2016 at 7:20am | IP Logged | 11  

I'm about THIS close to deciding Trump has telepathic, mind cotrolling powers. Listening to NPR this morning, I heard that the president of the Southern Baptist Convention has endorsed him. Not only that, some other national Christian big-wig* was interviewed and he announced his support and stated how good friends they were, and what a good, moral (he specifically did not use the word Christian) man Trump is.

Now, these big Christians are supporting a man that has publicly maintained that he is Christian, yet he's never had any reason to ask God for forgiveness. The very basis of the faith, Trump says "no, I don't do that" and they still support him. WTF am I missing?

*Sorry, can't remember his name.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 22 June 2016 at 7:23am | IP Logged | 12  

She's likely the most investigated politician in history and none of accusations against her have stuck. She should be the most vindicated individual in our country by now, but that's not how it plays to the cheap seats

Hillary is either a criminal mastermind on par with Lex Luthor or on the receiving end of one of history's great political smear jobs. Obviously I think the later is far more likely.  Which doesn't entirely absolve her, as I think some of her problems arise from her guardedness and the Clinton impulse to lie even when the truth would be met with a shrug.

+++

Trump stands a pretty damn good chance at this point of becoming the leader of the free world.

No chickens should be counted just yet as elections can be stolen or bungled, but this is looking like Hillary's election to lose.  Polling, funding, voter trends, party unity and the Electoral College are all in her favor.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version