Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Happy Birthday, Mr. President. . . (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 June 2016 at 8:19am | IP Logged | 1  

I personally think that the Electoral College will be our final, and best, safeguard against such an occurrence.

••

This is the first election in which I have ever had anything good to say about the Electoral College.

Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2016 at 8:24am | IP Logged | 2  

You Americans don't do anything simple. Even your law enforcement confuses me (state police, county police, city police, just who do you call if you have a burglary?). Your Electoral College, too.

No, I'm just kidding, but joking aside, what would you say the pros and cons of the Electoral College are? 

Derek Rogers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2016 at 9:10am | IP Logged | 3  

@Robbie Parry

After so many decades, and I am being naive here, why not give another party the chance to govern? Does it have to be the Republicans or Democrats?

=================

I just wrote a paper on this topic for my Democracy class. To keep it simple, the French political scientist Maurice Duverger noted the electoral process is what determines the number of major parties in a democracy. This has become known as Duverger's Law.

Other democracies like Italy, Germany, India, etc. have many political parties represented in their congress or parliament. In the US, however, we have a single member district plurality system where winner takes all. They do not need to win with a majority, just more than their rivals – a plurality of votes. Political parties then strive to be as large and inclusive as possible. As a result, two parties will usually dominate plurality electoral systems to the disadvantage of third and minor parties.

Supporters of the SMDP state that this type of voting promotes a two-party system and usually produces stable single-party majorities in legislatures than multi-party systems. Additionally, since the two parties seek to appeal to the largest number of voters to win elections, they tend to be more moderate, pushing extremists to form their own minor fringe groups. Lastly, they argue that there is an ease to voting since voters only have to decide between two parties.

Opponents of SMDP point out that the lack of choice limits voter options since the two parties tend to be similar. There is a psychological effect because voters feel that they will waste their vote on a third or minor party because there is no chance for that party to win. They argue that it also less democratic since a percentage of the electorate is denied fair representation by this system. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2016 at 9:13am | IP Logged | 4  

Fascinating, Derek, thanks for the link.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2016 at 9:21am | IP Logged | 5  

One of the things I find confusing about Trump is how many of the things he is saying are the opposite position to where he was, say, 10 years ago.

Has he had an epiphany in later life that has changed him from a liberal into this right wing caricature we see before us?

Or is he just pushing the buttons of the voters where he sees a hole to be exploited?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 June 2016 at 9:43am | IP Logged | 6  

Electoral College:

PROS: They are not actually required to cast their votes for the winning candidate, so if Trump is elected they could choose somebody else.

CONS: Everything else.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2016 at 3:56pm | IP Logged | 7  

I've heard it'll be the greatest Donald Trump birthday ever. Really, it's gonna be so fantastic, you're not gonna believe it...

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2016 at 5:16pm | IP Logged | 8  

"The writer presents the notion that Trump is actually trying to self-destruct. He suggests that Trump's unconscious mind, which he names "Don Trump," has recognized that Trump is unqualified for the job, and is deliberately sabotaging the campaign by compelling him to say and do all these patently stupid things."

--

Was that writer Jim Starlin? That's sounds very much like the plot of INFINITY GAUNTLET.

(Now somebody just needs to photoshop Donald wearing it!)

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2016 at 5:19pm | IP Logged | 9  

" An increasing number of Republicans are showing disgust with Trump, so even if he gets into office backed by a Republican majority, there probably won't be a whole lot of damage done. Not a whole lot of good, either, unfortunately. Four years with the wheels spinning, as rational Republicans (not a complete contradiction in terms!) and Democrats find themselves united to block anything coming out of the Trump House."

--

That's pretty much what I've been thinking, too. Not that I want to see Trump anywhere near the White House, but the saving grace if that did happen is that he's pissed off so many people that nobody on either side will want to work with him....and though he does not seem to realize it at the moment, he does not have the power to enact his crazy notions alone.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2016 at 5:33pm | IP Logged | 10  

Read an amusing online article yesterday -- which I can't find now, of course!

The writer presents the notion that Trump is actually trying to self-destruct. He suggests that Trump's unconscious mind, which he names "Don Trump," has recognized that Trump is unqualified for the job, and is deliberately sabotaging the campaign by compelling him to say and do all these patently stupid things.

If only!!

I have actually been thinking something similar. Except I don't think that it is Trump's unconscious mind that is telling him to say those stupid things, but that he was consciously doing it because he knows that the job is too big for him to handle and because he knows that he isn't qualified. I think that Trump wants to win the Presidential race in order to prove to the naysayers that he can win and as a final "drop the mike" crowning achievement on his life and career, but he doesn't want to be the President and take on all of the responsibilities and headaches that come with the job. Trump is doing this purely for bragging rights and (maybe) to blow up the political system.

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2016 at 6:08pm | IP Logged | 11  

Robbie Parry wrote:
it's a publicity stunt, it's an egotistical game and he'll drop out, it's just him getting publicity for his shows, etc. And yet, here we are, not long from the general election, and he's a serious candidate.

I wonder if Trump himself intended it that way, and is surprised he's gotten this far?  He ran what was essentially a publicity-seeking campaign in 2012, and dropped out when he started to slip in the polls.  Perhaps he expected the same thing to happen this time, but the slippage never came, and before he knew it he wound up winning the primary.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2016 at 7:18pm | IP Logged | 12  

Trump is doing this purely for bragging rights 

I firmly believe this. 

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version