Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Happy Birthday, Mr. President. . . (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 June 2016 at 5:48am | IP Logged | 1  

Donald Trump is 70 today.
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2016 at 5:54am | IP Logged | 2  

This is the first time (in my lifetime) where I feel I'm living through a bad dream as far as Trump is concerned.

Remember when Hulk Hogan announced he was going to run for president (1998, I think)? At the time, the world knew it was a joke. No-one (I hope) considered he was serious. And, of course, he didn't run.

That's how I felt when I first heard about Trump. The usual thoughts ran through my head: it's a publicity stunt, it's an egotistical game and he'll drop out, it's just him getting publicity for his shows, etc. And yet, here we are, not long from the general election, and he's a serious candidate.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 June 2016 at 6:00am | IP Logged | 3  

Read an amusing online article yesterday -- which I can't find now, of course!

The writer presents the notion that Trump is actually trying to self-destruct. He suggests that Trump's unconscious mind, which he names "Don Trump," has recognized that Trump is unqualified for the job, and is deliberately sabotaging the campaign by compelling him to say and do all these patently stupid things.

If only!!

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2016 at 6:21am | IP Logged | 4  

Uggh!
When I read the title I had this wonderful picture of Marilyn Monroe singing.
Then I see "The Donald" !!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2016 at 6:26am | IP Logged | 5  

The writer presents the notion that Trump is actually trying to self-destruct. He suggests that Trump's unconscious mind, which he names "Don Trump," has recognized that Trump is unqualified for the job, and is deliberately sabotaging the campaign by compelling him to say and do all these patently stupid things.

That is amusing.

I really wish I knew what Trump's angle was. He has money so he's not in it for the salary, I'm sure. Is it delusions of grandeur?

I find the two-party system odd. We have it here with the Conservative Party and the Labour Party. Every election, most people seem to think it's only those two parties standing, even though we have numerous others (Liberal Democrats, Green Party, etc.). 

After so many decades, and I am being naive here, why not give another party the chance to govern? Does it have to be the Republicans or Democrats?

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2016 at 6:44am | IP Logged | 6  

My 12 year old asked us last night if we could move to England if Trump is elected. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2016 at 6:53am | IP Logged | 7  

If Trump gets elected, will the last person to leave the United States remember to turn off the lights? 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 June 2016 at 7:32am | IP Logged | 8  

After so many decades, and I am being naive here, why not give another party the chance to govern? Does it have to be the Republicans or Democrats?

••

Multiple party systems seem to scare most Americans. They see chaos running rampant, governments toppling, nothing getting done.

But then, most Americans also think this country is a democracy, and they proudly proclaim the concept of One Man, One Vote -- neither of which are the case here.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 June 2016 at 7:37am | IP Logged | 9  

If Trump gets elected, will the last person to leave the United States remember to turn off the lights?

••

If Trump gets elected, it will be a major embarrassment, but not yet reason to flee for the borders. An increasing number of Republicans are showing disgust with Trump, so even if he gets into office backed by a Republican majority, there probably won't be a whole lot of damage done. Not a whole lot of good, either, unfortunately. Four years with the wheels spinning, as rational Republicans (not a complete contradiction in terms!) and Democrats find themselves united to block anything coming out of the Trump House.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2016 at 7:37am | IP Logged | 10  

True. I remember a fascinating teacher of mine at school who told me the difference between a republic and a democracy.

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2016 at 7:54am | IP Logged | 11  

My 12 year old asked us last night if we could move to England if Trump is elected.
--------------------------------------
Not a great idea. Once we leave the EU and Boris Johnson becomes Prime Minister - on top of Trump as POTUS, I'll be wanting to leave the planet.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2016 at 8:03am | IP Logged | 12  

Unfortunately, the United States is currently a plutocratic oligarchy.

In the inordinately unlikely but not impossible situation that Trump gets elected, how long will it take for the first article of impeachment to be written and voted on? Surely it can't happen on day 1 - as has been noted, it's hard to do anything THAT stupid in just one day* - but how long would it take for Dumb Donald to show up? How much of a razor wire tightrope would he be walking?

I personally think that the Electoral College will be our final, and best, safeguard against such an occurrence. But one never can tell what politicians will do for money, power, or their own sense of self-worth.

*Still, if anyone is actually able to cause that much hectic chaos in one day, Dumb Donald is the guy.

Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version