Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 21 Next >>
Topic: Alpha Flight Omnibus (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 June 2016 at 8:29am | IP Logged | 1  

It was Smith on the book when I first came aboard. I never felt she was made to be "sexy" or "hot" when he was on it. I was just a couple years younger than her and saw her as a cute nerdy-type. And what a treat it was when I finally got those back issues that introduced her. I didn't really see that different a character.

••

This is why artists despair!

Not to belabor the issue, but the first thing Smitty did was straighten her hair and give her a Paul Smith Girl face. The last vestige of the character I'd created disappeared.

Back to Top profile | search

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2016 at 9:03am | IP Logged | 2  

Oh, I certainly noticed a difference in the hair, but the "feel" I got from the character was the same. She was still the spunky, teenage girl when Smith drew her.

Brandon Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2016 at 4:01pm | IP Logged | 3  

The Amazon entry's been updated with contents information. It's a pretty impressive collection with 45 issues contained, even if not quite all of them were done by JB.

Alpha Flight by John Byrne Omnibus Hardcover
– February 14, 2017

by John Byrne (Author),    Chris Claremont (Author),
Roger Stern   (Author),    Tom Defalco (Author),    Sal Buscema (Illustrator),    Steve Ditko (Illustrator),    Ron Wilson (Illustrator),    Mike Mignola (Illustrator)

Legendary writer/artist John Byrne steers one of his greatest creations to glory! Exploding from the pages of the X-Men, Canada's premier super-team Alpha Flight takes the Marvel Universe by storm before starring in their own Byrne-helmed series! Guardian, Shaman, Snowbird, Sasquatch, Aurora, Northstar, Puck and Marrina fight to protect Canada from injustice and evil - including the Master of the World, maniacal alchemist Diablo, and the terrifying Great Beasts! But they'll face their darkest defeat at the hands of rival Omega Flight. An Alphan will fall...but can the team fight on?

COLLECTING: X-MEN (1963) 109, 120-121, 139-140; INCREDIBLE HULK ANNUAL 8; MACHINE MAN (1978) 18; MARVEL TWO-IN-ONE (1974) 83-84; INCREDIBLE HULK (1968) 272, 313; ALPHA FLIGHT (1983) 1-29; X-MEN AND ALPHA FLIGHT (1985) 1-2; X-MEN/ALPHA FLIGHT (1998) 1-2; MATERIAL FROM MARVEL TEAM-UP ANNUAL 7

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2016 at 4:56pm | IP Logged | 4  

John Byrne wrote:
...The first of my "ordinary teenage girls" who turned into jailbait once I let go of them...

The changes Paul Smith made to Kitty's appearance didn't bother me -- Maybe I figured she was growing older and changed accordingly, becoming less gawky... I dunno, really. She was a a few years older than me when I "met" her in "Uncanny X-Men" #129, and by the time Paul Smith was on the book, I started to catch up to her in age. I'm sure I noticed the change, but I don't recall it sticking out to me so much.

On the other hand, I have been more annoyed with other artists who glamorized your other more plain-looking characters, JB. I appreciated that you drew REAL people in many instances, not cookie-cutter men and women who all looked like babes or hunks. And people like Puck, Roger Bochs, and such were very refreshing to see in the comics. Si, naturally later writers and artists had to screw them up. Sigh.

Over in "New Mutants," Bob McLeod designed what looked like average teens of all varieties. One tall and lanky, another shy and demure, and so on. Of course, it didn't take long for artists to turn them all into sex symbols and perfect specimens.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 19 July 2016 at 4:57pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2016 at 4:59pm | IP Logged | 5  

X-MEN/ALPHA FLIGHT (1998) 1-2 seems a strange inclusion. Why not include the ROM issue as they were in the same time line as the other issues included, I think.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 July 2016 at 5:00pm | IP Logged | 6  

There is a terrible irony in Marvel, which began under Stan and Jack and Steve by creating "ordinary folk," lost the ability to continue that model.

And, yes, truth to tell, it began while the founding fathers were still in charge.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2016 at 6:30pm | IP Logged | 7  

Eric Smearman wrote:
...The X-MEN/ALPHA FLIGHT book looked really good. I couldn't
remember the story to save my life, though...

I have not read it entirely since it first was published, but I recall that it was basically a wrap-up of the Asgard stories from the "Uncanny X-Men" annual, and "New Mutants" special one-shot, both with Art Adams artwork. It definitely was a Chris Claremont plot, as it was an extension of those stories. I don't recall why Alpha Flight was involved in the mess, though.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 19 July 2016 at 7:04pm

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 19 July 2016 at 6:59pm | IP Logged | 8  

"Why not include the ROM issue as they were in the same time line as the other issues included, I think. "

Marvel does not have the rights to ROM anymore, so they can't reprint stories that feature the character.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 5:52am | IP Logged | 9  

Well, O can see I won't be contacting Marvel to ask for a freebie.* Too much stuff in there that makes me cringe -- including my own work!!

* Marvel used to send me freebies of anything and everything that had my work in it. Sometimes this meant collections that only had a couple of pages. Eventually I had so may reprints in various forms, editions for which I had no practical use, that I asked them to stop sending me anything unless I asked.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 6:04am | IP Logged | 10  

The changes Paul Smith made to Kitty's appearance didn't bother me -- Maybe
I figured she was growing older

It's bewildering that people still don't realize why aging the characters is a bad
thing.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 6:35am | IP Logged | 11  

The changes Paul Smith made to Kitty's appearance didn't bother me -- Maybe I figured she was growing older

It's bewildering that people still don't realize why aging the characters is a bad thing.

••

When I created the character, I described her as a "young Sigourney Weaver," which is what Dave drew when he returned. Smitty turned her into the then-current Brooke Shields.

Dave B Stewart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 7:29am | IP Logged | 12  

COLLECTING: X-MEN (1963) 109, 120-121, 139-140; INCREDIBLE HULK ANNUAL 8; MACHINE MAN (1978) 18; MARVEL TWO-IN-ONE (1974) 83-84; INCREDIBLE HULK (1968) 272, 313; ALPHA FLIGHT (1983) 1-29; X-MEN AND ALPHA FLIGHT (1985) 1-2; X-MEN/ALPHA FLIGHT (1998) 1-2; MATERIAL FROM MARVEL TEAM-UP ANNUAL 7

I don't necessarily agree with the non-JB contemporaneous work being included, but at least it has some (however slight) connection with his work.  I don't get the 98 X-Men/Alpha Flight crossover's inclusion at all.

<< Prev Page of 21 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version