Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 21 Next >>
Topic: Alpha Flight Omnibus (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2016 at 4:38am | IP Logged | 1  

I just recently reread Alpha Flight for the first time in forever, and I missed that little reveal!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2016 at 8:55am | IP Logged | 2  

I own the original run of AF, but I also tried to get the Classic Alpha Flight TPBs (1 - 3, containing all of Mr. Byrne's AF.) But the first two are so rare that it would be cheaper to just dig up my originals and reread them. Less efficient in the head, though...
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 August 2016 at 11:08am | IP Logged | 3  

Get 'em bound in hardcover, Eric!

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2016 at 5:03am | IP Logged | 4  

I got the original comics still. I already bought the three trade paperbacks and I've ordered the Omnibus. Yep I'm a sucker. :)

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2016 at 6:27am | IP Logged | 5  

Mr. Byrne - I've read about this binding in hardcover several times, but I'm afraid I'm completely ignorant of it. I am certainly NOT ever intending to sell my AFs, but I have this image of sitting at home with a big pair of shears, a three hole punch, and several hardback binders, with me having to be vewwy vewwy caweful.

Or is that it? Perhaps someone could elucidate for me... I'd surely do this with a few series I own. Thanks!

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2016 at 6:46am | IP Logged | 6  

There are professional companies who will do it for you (at a premium of course). The Collected Editions forum at http://marvelmasterworksfansite.yuku.com has a whole section on Homebinding. Most of the results look absolutely beautiful.

Marc Cheek
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2016 at 7:35am | IP Logged | 7  

Eric,
You need to search for the thread that William Roberge posted a couple of weeks ago with his bound JB collection. It was quite impressive!

Brandon Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2016 at 8:59am | IP Logged | 8  

Last week, while on a work trip, I visited an Indianapolis comic store and picked up a back issue (appropriately enough) of Back Issue Magazine, #83, which featured articles on international heroes. One of the articles was on Alpha Flight. It included comments by JB. I don't think any of them were new for the article but there were excerpts from past interviews, many of which were during JB's Alpha Flight run. Here's the part I found the most intriguing:

"Because of my particular frame of mind on the book," Byrne told Comics Interview #25 in 1985, "I couldn't turn it into what they [the readers] wanted. In fact, before my decision to jump to The Incredible Hulk, I was planning to turn it into something even farther from what they wanted. I wanted everybody to lose their powers permanently, turn it into a Challengers of the Unknown."

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 August 2016 at 9:02am | IP Logged | 9  

"Because of my particular frame of mind on the book," Byrne told Comics Interview #25 in 1985, "I couldn't turn it into what they [the readers] wanted. In fact, before my decision to jump to The Incredible Hulk, I was planning to turn it into something even farther from what they wanted. I wanted everybody to lose their powers permanently, turn it into a Challengers of the Unknown."

••

Wow! I have NO memory of that! "Dragged to the trash" I guess!!

Brandon Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2016 at 10:04am | IP Logged | 10  

As a reader, that direction is not really something that I would have thought I wanted but I have no doubt it would have been interesting and would have gotten quite a bit of attention if it had come to pass! Had it existed back then, the internet would have exploded!

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2016 at 8:24am | IP Logged | 11  

Curiously Amazon are now showing the cover to look like this. Do we get to draw them in ourselves?

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2016 at 10:28am | IP Logged | 12  

I've heard of minimalist art but really!

<< Prev Page of 21 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version