Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 21 Next >>
Topic: Alpha Flight Omnibus (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2016 at 3:05am | IP Logged | 1  

I too spotted the Snowbird's father link but where was the Julie Angel subplot, I missed that?

Back to AF, another thing I appreciate more in later life is how at the time I was desperate for the team to get together, stay together and fight bad guys. It was like JB didn't want to play by the rules, he deliberately kept them apart in those early issues and then after the death in #12, it's a new start and you think it'll be plain sailing but no, it's a constant rollercoaster of disruption and chaos.

Maybe this is because of JB's own dissatisfaction with the team itself but now, looking back, that atypical team behaviour made it stand out. It was more than just a Defenders/Champions-type oddball team - it was a superhero team that genuinely clashed in so many 'real-life' ways and yet they all tried to be real heroes. Ahead of its time.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 August 2016 at 6:36am | IP Logged | 2  

Not too long after, I picked up AF # 25-28, and had a big "Ah-ha!" moment. I thought that JB's fake Guardian resurrection was a ****ing brilliant twist of the knife, and was simultaneously appalled that subsequent creative teams had turned around and made it "real". Sigh.

••

I don't think "creative" is the word you're looking for there, Greg.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2016 at 8:42am | IP Logged | 3  

Ha!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2016 at 8:50am | IP Logged | 4  

Back to AF, another thing I appreciate more in later life is how at the time I was desperate for the team to get together, stay together and fight bad guys. It was like JB didn't want to play by the rules, he deliberately kept them apart in those early issues and then after the death in #12, it's a new start and you think it'll be plain sailing but no, it's a constant rollercoaster of disruption and chaos.
+++++++++++

Perhaps the genius thing about ALPHA FLIGHT is the way (particularly during the first year) that it pretended each issue was a story from each team member's non-existent solo book. Hence the reference in # 12 from Puck to his encounter with the Brass Bishop (along with the clunky editorial note which tried to explain why we hadn't seen that story). It's a reference to a non-existent issue of Puck's "series" that we didn't get to see. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 August 2016 at 9:12am | IP Logged | 5  

When ALPHA FLIGHT was announced, there was a general chorus of "Not ANOTHER group book!" from the ennui-engorged fanboys who wrote in to the various fanzines of the time.

Okay, I thought to myself, NOT another group book!

So I played ALPHA just as Greg observes, as if each issue was a peek at the solo issues of the main cast.

The result, a torrent of complaints that the team was "never together!"

(I mentioned this to Stan Lee at a convention, not long after, and he said something about never giving the fans what they think they want....)

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2016 at 10:01am | IP Logged | 6  

In that same vein, let us not forget the extremely subtle reveal that Julie Angel (from FANTASTIC FOUR) was actually the daughter of August D'Angelo, head of Roxxon!

I never made this connection at all.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 August 2016 at 10:35am | IP Logged | 7  

In that same vein, let us not forget the extremely subtle reveal that Julie Angel (from FANTASTIC FOUR) was actually the daughter of August D'Angelo, head of Roxxon!

I never made this connection at all.

••

It's a kindness to say it was "very subtle." It was barely there at all. But it WAS my intent to make this reveal part of an important story. It was just one that didn't get done!

(Some hints of it lie in references to Julie's wealth. Despite rooming with Sharon in a less than spectacular apartment, the girl is not poor!)

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2016 at 10:47am | IP Logged | 8  

I'm trying to remember where August D'Angelo's name was mentioned anywhere in AF or FF and, for the life of me, I can't.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2016 at 10:59am | IP Logged | 9  

In Delphine Courtney's flashback, from AF # 12. Jerry Jaxon goes to D'Angelo and Roxxon, who provide him with Courtney. D'Angelo has a photo of Julie on his desk. That's the "reveal".

David Bensette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2016 at 12:53pm | IP Logged | 10  

I remember reading AF in parking lots, immediately after purchasing it.
I really miss JB's magic on that book.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2016 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 11  

That's it. After I finish COLD WAR, I'm breaking out AF and reading them.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 02 August 2016 at 1:36pm | IP Logged | 12  

"In that same vein, let us not forget the extremely subtle reveal that Julie Angel (from FANTASTIC FOUR) was actually the daughter of August D'Angelo, head of Roxxon!"

This is so cool - I had no idea about this!

<< Prev Page of 21 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version