Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: The Greatness of Our Pal Sal (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2016 at 6:04am | IP Logged | 1  

And Sal not only COULD draw everyone well, but he DID draw everyone well. His tenure included just about every character, thanks to his solid and consistent work on Marvel Team-Up. There are a few artists whom I love and whose books I would pick up in a second - but even they had a couple of characters that just looked a little quirky. Curt Swan, George Perez, Neal Adams - great art, but they each had a weak spot. I don't remember any characters that Sal Buscema drew without hitting the model spot on.

Michael Penn: Those two pieces are brilliant. I don't remember seeing them before; whence came they? (And to support my point... damn, that's a good looking Hellcow! :D )
Back to Top profile | search

Thad Studebaker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2016 at 6:54am | IP Logged | 2  

When I was young and stupid and just getting back into comics, Sal was one of my least favorite artists... or so I thought.  Back then I could only afford maybe a dozen titles per month and Sal was often the penciler on two or more of those books.  It wasn't until his work with Uncle Walt on Thor that I finally grew to appreciate his abilities. 

He can tell a story like few other artists and he adds an incredible amount of energy into the action.  And I cannot recall ever thinking that something looked wrong with his characters' movement or positioning during those action scenes, such as a character's head snapping in the opposite direction of a punch.  It was "little" details like this that I grew to appreciate in his work.

Sal is a consummate professional whose work I miss.  I wish all of the comics I used to love still had his style of artwork rather than what is hot today.  It might be enough to get me back into the hobby.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2016 at 7:23am | IP Logged | 3  

I grew into my appreciation of Sal. Like Gil Kane, I didn't care for his work when I was a kid. I'm so glad I've grown up.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2016 at 7:28am | IP Logged | 4  

It is my belief that it's Sal, not his brother John or even Jack Kirby, who is the most representative of the 'Marvel Style'.

Sal's work in the 70's was very 'meat and potatoes' because he was doing so much of it for Marvel and frequently to beat a deadline few others could reach, but it was always quality work, and later in his career his style evolved and he did some terrific work as both a penciller and an inker.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Bill Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2016 at 9:01am | IP Logged | 5  

You know, as a kid, I never particularly cared for Sal's work. However, as an adult, I'm a big fan! Once I got to the point to where I could appreciate storytelling, layouts and long runs on titles, Sal quickly became rather awesome in my eyes.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2016 at 9:24am | IP Logged | 6  

He is truly a grandmaster, and I hope more readers come to appreciate that.

Larry Gil
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2016 at 10:06am | IP Logged | 7  

I loved his early Avengers run.Such a great artist.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2016 at 10:47am | IP Logged | 8  

His work on the INCREDIBLE HULK was awesome…. this is probably the first issue that i was exposed to growing up and I was instantly hooked.

DYNAMIC is how I'd describe his work-

-C!

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2016 at 11:01am | IP Logged | 9  

Avengers #158 is the first story that comes to mind for Sal Buscema - his storytelling was always terrific and he could really convey the power in a punch!

Brian Kelly
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2016 at 8:24pm | IP Logged | 10  

I was a fan of Sal's a long time ago when he was on The Incredible Hulk, but I lost my taste for his art as time went on. I was impressed with his work on Thor when he took over the art from Walt. Sal's style was still recognizable but he had morphed it a bit to hint at what Walt had been doing previously. 
I agree with Bill Collins. Sal's mouths were very identifiable.
Loved his inks on his brother's Silver Surfer.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2016 at 10:20pm | IP Logged | 11  

As a big fan of Captain America and the Falcon and The Defenders back in the 70s, you know I love Sal.. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member
Evertonian

Posted: 23 June 2016 at 5:38am | IP Logged | 12  

Sal's Avengers issues inked by Sam Grainger are among my favourites.

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version