Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: The Brexit (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2016 at 2:34am | IP Logged | 1  

The UK started charging for petrol in litres rather than gallons at the time of the first Gulf War - I took it at the time to be a way to confuse the issue with regards to 'just how much is this stuff going up by'.

Of course, anyone that knew there were 4.54 litres in a gallon didn't have a problem (i.e. anyone who was educated from the '70's up at least).

I'm a real mix bag of imperial and metric measurements. I measure human weight in stones and ounces, not kilograms. I measure my height in feet and inches. I measure car distance in miles and speed in miles per hour. I measure fuel efficiency in miles per gallons.

Pretty much everything else, I use metric. I used to work in the water industry. I used metric (cubic metres, litres) throughout.

When I went through school I was taught both systems. I could not for the life of me understand why we just didn't use metric. Everything is connected for crying out loud. Everything revolves around water. Which I know alters with pressure and temperature but it gives you a fantastic way of moving from something you don't know to something you do know.

What's a kilogram? A litre of water
What's a tonne? A cubic metre of water
What's zero degrees? When water freezes
What's 100 degrees? When water boils

Fahrenheit, pounds, ounces, feet, inches etc just don't seem to have a unifying 'thing' the way metric does
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2016 at 4:32am | IP Logged | 2  

I`m the same James,i can mentally quantify a mile,a stone,a foot etc.It irks me when tv news talks in kilometres as our roads,cars and speed limits are measured in miles!
Another thing that bugs me is when it snows,and the media go into panic stations `We`ve had 5 centimetres of snow` using centimetres to make it seem like we`ve had more snow than we have! I`m thinking,a couple of inches,it`s nothing!
Mind you,the American use of pounds when stating someone`s weight loses me! I am used to stone!
Regarding the switch from gallons to litres(Petrol consumption is still measured in miles per gallon!) i think the petrol companies did use the switch to up the cost.
In my old job in the steel industry,our machines were using metric gauging,but we thought in Imperial,so it was easier for us to convert it! It also helped that our American orders were in Imperial!

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2016 at 5:56am | IP Logged | 3  

Now, see, Bill, I don't have a problem with 5 centimetres of snow. That's a scientific measurement as far as my brain works and those I do in metric.

My brain is weird

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2016 at 6:07am | IP Logged | 4  

I can quantify it,but it`s the way the media uses centimetres to `big up` the story!

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2016 at 6:13am | IP Logged | 5  

Brian Miller wrote:
Well, the Brexit must be scaring the oil companies. Gas in my town went up $.12/ gallon today. It had been going down for the last couple weeks.

It's more like it's because of the upcoming holiday weekend.  Gas prices tend to go up then.
Back to Top profile | search

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2016 at 7:03am | IP Logged | 6  

Yes,that happens here too,it rose just before Whitsun week over here.

Jeremy Simington
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2016 at 7:14am | IP Logged | 7  

The New York Times provides four ways the Brexit could be reversed.

Option #1: "The referendum is not legally binding. The process of leaving does not begin until the prime minister officially invokes Article 50 of the European Union’s governing treaty. So he or she could, in theory, carry on as if the vote had never happened."

Why in the hell don't they just do this? The vote's not legally binding!  Yes, you'll piss off a bunch of people but it's clear that a significant number of "leave" voters already regret their decision. For crying out loud, the #2 Google search in the UK after the vote is "What is the EU?"!!! (Not any better, the #1 search is "What does it mean to leave the EU?")

When the country is burning down around you (market in freefall, Pound sinking like a stone, Scotland & Ireland planning new votes for independence, etc.), why not treat the referendum as a very well-organized straw poll?

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2016 at 8:42am | IP Logged | 8  

`What is the EU?` 
Well,there was something like 16 weeks of lobbying by both sides,so people had ample time to research the EU.

From what i`ve read,the youth are blaming the older generation,but the demographic least likely to vote are the youth.I saw on BBC news they were interviewing young people at the Glastonbury festival,the replies ranged from `I forgot to vote` `I couldn`t be bothered` to `I wish i`d voted now,seeing the result`

Also a lot has been blamed on ignorant racism against immigrants,but looking at maps of key `Leave` areas,many are areas that are predominantly second/third generation immigrant communities,Leicester,Coventry,Bradford etc.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2016 at 8:45am | IP Logged | 9  

It's more like it's because of the upcoming holiday weekend.  Gas prices tend to go up then.

Not that big a leap in one day. It's usually more gradual throughout the week.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2016 at 12:49pm | IP Logged | 10  

Bradford and Coventry demography is still predominantly white. There are significant chunks that are Asian (like 20 to 30%). I have little trouble believing that these areas produced large numbers of white voters who believed Farage and co's immigration scare stories.

As for the generational gap, I have some sympathy with the youth. Voter apathy amongst the young is not something idiosyncratic to this referendum -- it's a consistent trend. In most democratic votes, the youth will get a chance to overturn the vote with time if they don't like the outcome. Not here. Out seems a one-way street and it's the youth who are going to have to live with it for the rest of their lives, even though they don't want it.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2016 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 11  

Regarding scare stories,i think that the remain campaign`s `Project Fear` backfired on them,we British are a bloody minded people,if people try to threaten us or scare us we retaliate,i think the out of touch MP`s in their governmental ivory towers have no idea how life outside the M25  colurs peoples behaviour.I voted remain,and fully expected to wake up on Friday morning to find nothing has changed.But i like to look at things from both perspectives.Local tv news has been out on the streets of Birmingham,obviously you only see what they want you to see,but they interviewed black and Asian people,and the result was they voted 50/50.
P.S. Regarding Labour`s Jeremy Corbin,everytime he`s filmed coming out of his house,his small front garden looks an overgrown mess,it strikes me that if he can`t keep his house looking smart,what chance has he of running a country?

Edited by Bill Collins on 29 June 2016 at 1:14pm

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2016 at 1:40pm | IP Logged | 12  

And the market bounced back. As expected.

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version