Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5
Topic: Of all powers, Speedsters are the hardest to portray. (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 June 2016 at 5:47am | IP Logged | 1  

Not to mention his Superman knocks up a girl and then leaves town for five years.

+++

To be fair, it's not like he knew she was "knocked up" when he left. I doubt Superman is in the habit of scaning Lois with his X-Ray and microscopic vision after they have sex.

••

But to check the contents of her purse, or make sure she doesn't have lung cancer -- that's something he does?

We're talking SUPERMAN here. And a version of the character at Silver Age power levels. If Lois was pregnant, it would be almost impossible for him NOT to know.

Back to Top profile | search

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2016 at 7:39am | IP Logged | 2  

And in "Superman Returns", not only is Lois pregnant - but immediately after Superman leaves, she starts a romantic relationship that happens SO FAST that this new man can conceivably* be the father of her son. Consider the timing, and we find out in this movie that A) Superman is a cad, and B) Lois must be pretty promiscuous... it couldn't have been more than a week or two, could it?

And it isn't just a one night stand... she's still with this man five years later.

*Pun intended, of course.

Paul W. Sondersted, Jr.
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2016 at 7:46am | IP Logged | 3  

Despite JB's insistence that he only has a limited number of running poses, I would have loved to see an issue of the Flash drawn by him.

••

Several generations of the Flash appeared in GENERATIONS.

••

I enjoyed the short story JB did in Flash 80-Page Giant #1 (published in 1998). Golden-Age Flash & Silver-Age Flash team-up!

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2016 at 9:35pm | IP Logged | 4  

I enjoyed the short story JB did in Flash 80-Page Giant #1 (published in 1998). Golden-Age Flash & Silver-Age Flash team-up!

Oooh. Must get that!

And I loved Generations, JB.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 June 2016 at 7:51am | IP Logged | 5  

And I loved Generations, JB.

••

Thanks! The first two series still stand as some of the most fun I have had working in comics. The third was less so, not because the overall work is any less satisfactory, but because Editorial insisted I change the format that had worked so well for the first two. Instead of visiting the gaps between chapters, as I had done in the second series, they insisted I go forward in time. Problem with that, DC's timeline is very sparse when it comes to what happens in the Future, so I had to make stuff up, rather than playing off what was already there.

Also the promised fourth series, which would have been back on model, did not happen when the Powers That Were declared there would be NO MORE ELSEWORLDS (which GENERATIONS was not), a declaration which was immediately followed by more NEW FRONTIER.

sigh

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2016 at 7:19am | IP Logged | 6  

No more Elseworlds... I'll wager that came about by the same fuzzbrains who couldn't understand the concept of Earth-1 and Earth-2, and so read the Elseworlds books wondering, "Does this really happen? Batman can't be a pirate! Or a vampire! Can he?"

Probably by the same rocket surgeons at Marvel who decided - maybe around the same time - that now, at Marvel, dead means dead. First, that's how it SHOULD have been in the first place. Second, why state the policy publicly? Why not just DO it?

I'm sure this sparse group of comic book fans love what they're putting out... but there's a buying public for these periodicals, and I think that the public is not being served by self-entertaining publishers.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 5
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version