Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Does Photoshop Coloring Ruin Comic Art? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2016 at 8:10pm | IP Logged | 1  

On a recent trip to my local comics shop, I saw that they were selling copies of the Amazing Spider-Man #1 reboot from 2014 for 2 bucks.

Original price was $5.99.

Since the issue had a full reprint of Inhuman #1 by fellow HS of Art and Design alum Joe Madureira, I decided to pick it up. (since nothing else in the store interested me at all.)

I was saddened to discover that the computer coloring pretty much overpowered most of Joe Mad's great line work.

Not only does it overpower the art, when coloring like this is printed in an actual book, as opposed to seeing this on a computer screen, it makes everything too dark. It lacks clarity.
Totally ruined the experience for me.
I found some of Joe Mad's line work for this issue.

Quite a difference, isn't it?

I know some will say that black and white will always be better for comic art than color, but I still think you can color in a way that doesn't  totally cover up the art underneath.

What do you guys think?
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2016 at 8:55pm | IP Logged | 2  

It's not photoshop that's diminished the art, it's the colourist's choice to knock out the blacks.

The first panel with the character (Beast, I'm assuming?) climbing is victim to some particularly poor choices.

Photoshop is an amazing tool, but like all tools, it requires judicious use by the hand that wields.

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2016 at 9:21pm | IP Logged | 3  

This is a case where they opted to color the pencil artwork and skip the inking altogether. Which I think is a less appealing approach. I think that is part of the reasoning to knock out the blacks. It is a real pain in the ass coloring pencilled work versus inked work.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2016 at 9:23pm | IP Logged | 4  

I think "blacks" is a generous use of the word in many cases nowadays too.  I really don't like when they forego inking pages and shoot from the pencils.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Peck
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2016 at 10:03pm | IP Logged | 5  

Has nothing to do with photoshop , it has everything to do with the colourist.
He or she has no concept of how the colours will print, the problem is never
with the tools but the person who wields them.
I think many colourist need to understand colour theory and the printing
process, too many think the tools will handle everything for them.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2016 at 10:43pm | IP Logged | 6  

Like everything else in comics, coloring is overdone. Instead of working as a team, its as if each contributor is screaming for attention. 

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2016 at 12:00am | IP Logged | 7  

While colourists used to colour backgrounds weird colours like purple and the like to emphasise aspects of the art, nowadays colourists seem to have never seen anything that is not shiny or reflective.

When I see glints of light off breasts/heads etc (the recent JB Omnibus is a perfect example of this) I just shake my head in disbelief

(never has a post I have written had so many underlined spelling mistakes due to UK/USA spelling differences)

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2016 at 2:01am | IP Logged | 8  

You mean breasts don't normally have glints of light?

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2016 at 2:30am | IP Logged | 9  

Mostly, yes, but I agree it's the colorist's fault, not only photoshop...

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2016 at 2:36am | IP Logged | 10  

You mean breasts don't normally have glints of light?
------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------
Only in our heads Eric, only in our heads.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2016 at 6:23am | IP Logged | 11  

Eric Jansen - only Iron Man, Jocasta, Robotman, and the Metal Men.

Twinkle twinkle, little nip,
How you glisten at the tip...

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 June 2016 at 7:50am | IP Logged | 12  

Those are some excellent pencils, but they represent a problem that goes back beyond my earliest days.

The idea behind having a penciler and an inker working on a page goes back to the most persistent demon in comics: chasing deadlines. If we have an artist who is a really solid storyteller, it makes little sense to have him/her draw each page twice. Better to have someone else handle the inks, so the penciler can do another book in the same time. (This is how Jack Kirby ended up doing so much work at Sixties Marvel.)

A plus, those pencils do not have to be crisp and sharp, since they are not meant for reproduction. It's the inker's job (at least as the job was originally conceived) to sharped up those lines, add distinguishing line weights, shadows, textures, etc.

But by the time I was working my way into The Biz, things had changed. "Soft" pencilers, like Curt Swan, Carmine Infantino or Dave Cockrum were becoming more and more the exception, as young punks like me turned in pencils that were so clean and precise one could cut oneself on the line. (This was a contributing factor in my getting work at Marvel. My pencils were so complete the mantra became "Anybody can ink Byrne.")

Fortunately, my mutant power is that is was sharp and clean, but also FAST. But most pencilers who were turning in work so clean it could be reproduced without inks, if needed, were incredibly SLOW.

This has continued. Artist who can turn out two pages a day (really a necessity with a monthly deadline, at least if the artist wants to have a real life, too) have almost disappeared.

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version