Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9
Topic: Is Victor von Doom Smarter Than Reed Richards? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2016 at 4:52pm | IP Logged | 1  

Doom thinks Reed believes himself to be the smarter of the two. Such a consideration is not ever on Reed's mind, but Doom cannot imagine that. So he wants to crush and humiliate Reed -- emphasis on the later. He wants to destroy Reed, not just kill him.
------------------------------------------
SPOILERS FOR RECENT MARVEL

I actually thought Jonathan Hickman rather nailed this in the recent Secret Wars mini.  He intended it to be the last story of the universe created by FF #1 in 1961, and so it made a great jumping off point for me (and I think a lot of other people).

Basically, the plot is that Doom has found a way to remake the Marvel Universe in his own image with himself as absolute ruler.  Due to his psychological issues (vanity, jealousy, et al.) the cracks start to show and the world starts to fall into chaos.  The climactic battle is FF #200 style, between Reed and Doom, with Doom finally yelling, "You think you could have done this better than me!  You think you could make a better world than me!  Admit it!"  And Reed saying, "You know that I can."  After which Reed proceeds to remake the universe, including leaving a Victor Von Doom with a healed face as leader of Latveria.
Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2016 at 6:26am | IP Logged | 2  

...and then Reed, Sue and their kids spent the time after Secret Wars building new universes and exploring them, taking their "worldbuilding" to a whole new level.

It was a well done moment between Reed and Doom. I hope that Marvel will bring back the FF one day--I'm pretty sure they will if they get the movie rights back from Fox--but if they don't, this is probably about the best sendoff Reed and Sue might have gotten.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2016 at 7:15am | IP Logged | 3  

"But before I kill you, Professor Richards - Professor! HAH! What sort of fifth rate educational institution would grant you the paltry rank of professor?"

"The same one that threw you out, Victor, for making a mathematical error."

"DAMN YOU, RICHARDS! I didn't think I could hate you more - but you have pushed me past the human limits of rage!"

"Because I'm right?"

"...
I shall return, Richards, to destroy you utterly, when you least expect it!" (Sulks off into the night.)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 9
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version