Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Name that Knock-Off (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2016 at 2:22am | IP Logged | 1  

Hm. Interesting approach to the Captain America stand-in there: Gary Concord, the Ultra-Man, was an actual Golden Age character, presumably "resurrected" for this team, ala' Cap in Avengers #4.

And of course, those interested in seeing an Alan Davis interpretation of the Legion should look into the two-issue Elseworlds, "Superboy's Legion."

Similar to the situation in Superman #276, where the creators wanted to crossover two characters, but felt that doing so wouldn't be right, the Hulk battled "Kronak, the Barbarian" in Hulk #201.

While not a character in and of itself, "Star Trek" got the knock-off treatment with the Teen Titans' Gar Logan in the role of the shape-changeling alien Tork on the TV series, "Space Trek: 2022."

Edited by Brian Hague on 30 June 2016 at 2:25am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2016 at 6:49am | IP Logged | 2  

Isn't Blockbuster a Hulk knock-off?

And then the last few years, DC seems to have made Bizarro, Solomon Grundy, and Keith Giffen's blue OMAC all "Hulks" too!
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2016 at 7:31am | IP Logged | 3  

@Brian Hague - if we want to go the Star Trek route, you could point out the Shi'ar's first appearance in X-Men... 97, I think? I was surprised the ship's name wasn't "Shi'ar Cruiser Enterprise Homage." :)

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2016 at 9:26am | IP Logged | 4  

Brian Hague, as always, your posts are a very entertaining, interesting read and they have given me many "time to take a coffee break and read" moments. Thanks!

One tiny note:

And of course, those interested in seeing an Alan Davis interpretation of the Legion should look into the two-issue Elseworlds, "Superboy's Legion."

This was actually a Mark Farmer interpretation of the LOS. He wrote and inked the story, while Alan Davis "merely" provided the pencils.

Side note - I'd long thought Dreamslayer was a Mysterio stand-in but he is, indeed, Dormammu.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2016 at 7:00pm | IP Logged | 5  

Ronald, thank you! That's great to hear. As for "Superboy's Legion," I should have said, "more of Alan Davis' visual interpretation of the Legion." And I suppose Dreamslayer's lack of a real head does pretty much nail him down as a Dormammu clone.

Eric, thank you for that Dave Cockrum nod to Trek. I was trying to come up with another after "Space Trek 2022," but I was drawing a blank. Looking at it now, I suppose we could add DC's "Star Hunters" to the list with it's design for it's ship, "The Sunrider" and the Legion's long-time go-to starship as well.

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2016 at 8:28am | IP Logged | 6  

Ronald, thank you!

No, thank you! Keep it up!

As for "Superboy's Legion," I should have said, "more of Alan Davis' visual interpretation of the Legion."

Either way, it's a great, fun read. I happened to have it on my drafting table (the work of Alan Davis and JB are always within reach) the day you made your post.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2016 at 2:53pm | IP Logged | 7  

The Shroud is interesting in that he's a reflection of Batman but by drawing on the same pulp roots and is mishmash of various pulp heroes: The Shadow (motif), Black Bat (blinded hero), and the Green Lama (received his training in Asia). And his posing as a villain to fight crime is a nod to the radio hero the Green Hornet.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2016 at 3:09pm | IP Logged | 8  

If one is allowed to step outside Marvel and DC, what about Unicron from the TRANSFORMERS franchise? Very, very similar to Galactus.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2016 at 3:56pm | IP Logged | 9  

About the Shroud, Steve Englehart has come out and said that he specifically created the Shroud because he never thought he'd ever get to work on Batman--and then his DETECTIVE run with Marshall Rogers one year later or so has become one of the most admired and referenced Batman storylines of all time!

Looking at all these posts, it's clear that Marvel does the "knock-offs" so much better than DC does!  Every DC analog that Marvel does is clear and understandable; all the ones that DC does are not clear at all--even the explanations presented for them aren't too clear on exactly which characters are being "knocked off."

You'd think doing analogs for Captain America or Spider-Man would be easy.  Neal Adams did obvious "tributes" to the Fantastic Four and X-Men with his EARTH 4 and HYBRIDS books back in the Continuity days.  Taken as a whole, the beginnings of Image were chock full of,...maybe not Marvel knock-offs exactly, but they certainly brought Marvel characters to mind:

SPAWN brought Spider-Man to mind with his full-face mask, red and blue colors, and the chains Spawn "shot out" had the same visual impact of Spider-Man's webs.

SAVAGE DRAGON and PITT were TWO Hulk stand-ins, giving Larsen and Keown plenty of chances to draw big muscles and destruction.

WILDCATS, CYBER FORCE, and CODENAME: STRYKE FORCE were ex-X-Men artists Lee and Silvestri's attempts to do their own "mutant" types.

And, of course, everything Liefeld did was a thinly veiled rip-off of Marvel AND DC characters.

Edited by Eric Jansen on 01 July 2016 at 3:57pm

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2016 at 1:15pm | IP Logged | 10  

I wonder if Marvel'ls success with knock offs comes from so many of them being created by fans turned pro? 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version