Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: In Bob We Trust Discusse The Phoenix Saga (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2016 at 12:55am | IP Logged | 1  

MovieBob on YouTube analyzes movies, not comics, typically, but in order to discuss the movies' mishandling of Dark Phoenix, he discuses her comics history.

He seems to think the Dark Phoenix saga was entirely the brainchild of Chris Claremont, since -- Unless I missed something -- he doesn't credit JB in the video for any part of that story. Of course, he also said something about Jean becoming a big fiery bird, which isn't quite accurate. Still, he makes some interesting points about the comics compared to the films.

I posted this is the main forum because the video deals as much with the comics as the films, and this particular storyline is related directly to JB.

Here is the video: LINK!

Opinions?

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 June 2016 at 2:48am | IP Logged | 2  

That credit issue is always irksome!
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 June 2016 at 3:57am | IP Logged | 3  

To expand: in my early days working with Chris, which go back to the very beginnings of my career, I found myself often frustrated at conventions when fans would tell me how much they enjoyed some element of an IRON FIST, or a MARVEL TEAM-UP or -- what was that other book? Oh, right, X-MEN. In the majority of instances, the praise would be for Chris. After all, he wrote the books, right? I was just drawing what he told me to draw.

So many people who claimed to be hardcore fans were unaware of the so-called "Marvel Method," where the artist works from a plot, not a full script. A plot which s/he is free to interpret as the visual storytelling demands. Then the writer adds dialog (as the artist sits back and hopes that dialog will actually fit what s/he has drawn).

So many times, then, when a fan would tell me how much they loved some scene Chris had written, I would say "No, that was mine!" I'd usually point out that any "moment" that was purely visual was most likely mine.

Of course, as the years went by, and I took on more and more of the responsibilities of plotting (to the point that I asked for a shared credit), I would be saying "No, that was mine" more and more often. And right about then is when I started hearing tales of how "Byrne tries to hog all the credit."

sigh

Anthony Pfau
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2016 at 4:17am | IP Logged | 4  

JB - sounds similar to mr. Kirbys frustration with Stan.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 June 2016 at 4:30am | IP Logged | 5  

Only in the sense that nothing similar is the same! ;)

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2016 at 1:28pm | IP Logged | 6  

I'm a strong believer in credit where credit is due. Too many fans don't understand the process, however, and tend to misdirect credit where they feel it "ought" to belong.

And, as JB notes, trying to correct their misperception often leads them to blame others for hogging credit or tearing someone else down, etc. God forbid a fan should be wrong...

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version