Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Battles Between Spider-Man’s Enemies (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2016 at 5:16pm | IP Logged | 1  

Pick three (only three, no honourable mentions, ties or contrived fourth choice) battles between Spider-Man enemies that you'd really like to see. Feel free to explain why.

Here are mine:

Electro VS Scorpion
Kraven VS Lizard
Rhino VS Green Goblin

I tried to pick opponents that would give each other a hard time. Electro's powers are impressive, but would Scorpion's suit protect him in any way (and watch out for that tail!); Kraven probably wouldn't last long against Lizard, but he'd have some traps in place and would probably relish the chance; and I can't see Goblin's bombs working well against Rhino, yet Rhino lacks the intellect that Goblin has.

I'd really like to see more supervillain vs supervillain battles in comics. Best not to overdo any idea, of course, but I could see it working at times. I mean, there's logic to some battles: surely Kraven, who likes hunting, would relish the chance of hunting down Lizard? And sometimes it may simply be about two characters having a dispute, i.e. Electro and Scorpion falling out when a plan goes awry.

Over to you.
Back to Top profile | search

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2016 at 7:33pm | IP Logged | 2  

Sandman vs Electro - could get some cool art with the electricity on sand effect. 

Dr. Octopus vs Green Goblin- winner is named Spider-Man's arch nemesis.

Lizard vs Kraven- agree with Robbie, with the right cteator could be a fantastic story. 

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2016 at 7:51pm | IP Logged | 3  

Lizard vs Kraven- agree with Robbie, with the right cteator could be a fantastic story. 

================================

Doug - That would be one hell of a commission!!!

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2016 at 7:27am | IP Logged | 4  

Doom vs. Venom

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2016 at 9:22am | IP Logged | 5  

I'd love to see Doc Ock vs Green Goblin (the original)
Vulture vs Mysterio
Lizard vs Rhino

Edited by Andrew Bitner on 30 June 2016 at 9:23am

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2016 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 6  

Shocker vs. Sandman - Would Shocker's vibrations be able to disrupt Sandman enough to make it a decent battle?

Doctor Octopus vs. Venom - One of Spider-Man's greatest enemies who has been Spider-Man vs. essentially an evil version of Spider-Man

Electro (in his original green and yellow costume) vs. Green Goblin (Norman)  - No reason other than the visuals. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2016 at 1:32pm | IP Logged | 7  

Great ideas, guys.

This is why, and I have said this previously, I get so down when a comic company does its umpteenth reboot or goes down the "Year One" route. There is a place for that, but I can't help think that there are so many stories that haven't been done yet.

Not just with supervillains, but other encounters (have the Fantastic Four ever fought Juggernaut?). Wouldn't it make sense for Kraven to hunt down Venom or Lizard?

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2016 at 2:41pm | IP Logged | 8  

Doctor Octopus vs Mysterio
The Lizard vs Scorpion
The Shocker vs Stegron
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2016 at 2:52pm | IP Logged | 9  

Wouldn't it make sense for Kraven to hunt down Venom or Lizard?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Lizard, yes. For Venom I'd think he'd need a reason like a bounty put out on him. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2016 at 4:28pm | IP Logged | 10  

I'm thinking that Kraven would like a challenge and that that would be enough for him to go after Venom.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2016 at 6:28pm | IP Logged | 11  

I think you could justify a Kraven vs. Venom in much the same way that Predators supposedly hunt Aliens, for sport and to prove they can. Speaking of Venom, has Marvel ever told us what sort machine it was on Battleworld that would contain a symbiote and then dispense him like a gashapon toy when a super-hero sat down at it and wanted a new costume? Did Venom just get into the mechanism and await a victim? Marvel super-heroes were going in and out of that building of unusual machines in Secret Wars #8 like it was a shopping mall arcade, making new costumes for themselves. Did anyone else sit down at the "you look like you want to make me a costume" machine and come out with a carnivorous symbiote? What machine were they using and why did that one seem like an obvious clothing-manufacturing machine to them, while Venom's seemed like one to Spidey? What was Spidey missing that everyone else seemed to pick up on? Venom has a very weird "origin sequence."

As for who vs. who, I'm not sure... I haven't been able to come up with anything that I would pay money to see, especially in this day and age. More than more heroes, Spidey's story seems "over and done with" to me, with no need for me to enter that world again to find out "what's next." An odd back issue here and there more than meets my need to revisit Spidey and his environs. 

The closest I've been able to come so far is:

Morbius vs. Hammerhead- Is Hammerhead dead? If he is at the time this story is written, you could have another villain, doesn't matter at the outset who, "frankenstein" him back to life and have a Universal-style Dracula vs. the Monster bout, with Morbius as the only-barely reluctant vampire and the resurrected Hammerhead as the flat-headed, lumbering brute, back from the grave to avenge himself... Maybe this could be a Halloween themed issue!

Fusion, the Twin Terror vs. Mud-Thing- This possibly crosses the line on the one-on-one, no other characters mentioned rule, but for a short time there, Hydro-Man and Sandman were fused together into one monstrous, wet, muddy form. For an even shorter period of time, Spidey fought a possibly-Firestorm-inspired menace, a pair of twins who'd worked at a reactor and been melded accidentally into one glowing being. I believe Spidey cured them at the end of the story, but hey, this is comics, so cures of this kind come and go. Two freaky, compound creatures battling it out to return to their original forms could make for a fun story. We could even round-robin the mixtures, leaving at one point, three of them co-joined and only one to stop them. "No Composite, No Return," maybe? "I've Got You Under My Skin?" "I Am So Into You?" "The Big Mix-Up?" We'll work on it... :-)

Green Goblin vs. The Vulture- The one would be an attempt to "up" the value of the Vulture as a Marvel villain, by pitting him in a cagey, merciless battle with a character who's always been fairly showy and respected and for a while there, held considerable cache. The story could open to find Norman Osborn once again on his way up, gaining considerable wealth and traction and Adrian Toomes watching from overhead, circling, knowing that Osborn has left himself vulnerable in some way he hasn't realized yet. We'd get to see Toomes as a cunning foe, far more intelligent and opportunistic than we've seen before, as he begins to exploit the weaknesses in Osborn's new undertaking, and ready to feed upon carcass of what Toomes will leave him holding. Of course, upon seeing the Vulture has taken an interest, Osborn's no dummy himself...

Edited by Brian Hague on 30 June 2016 at 6:33pm

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2016 at 7:53pm | IP Logged | 12  

Kingpin vs. the Green Goblin. Both of them are "big bads" with a propensity for getting their own hands dirty. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 30 June 2016 at 7:55pm

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version