Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: The Flash -- Season 3 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2017 at 5:47am | IP Logged | 1  

Sorry, but the fact that the Big Bads have all had something to do with speed affects me far less than how those characters actually manifest regardless of their powers.
--

You're absolutely right, Matt. And I guess that's another thing that's been nagging me deep down; Savitar doesn't come near to being as compelling as Wells/Reverse-Flash from the first season.

Back to Top profile | search

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2017 at 8:01am | IP Logged | 2  

Matt Reed wrote:
Eh, can't agree with you, Dave.  Sorry.

I need to get my wife to join the board so there'll be someone who agrees with me... It's lonely out here...

Matt Reed wrote:
I think you're being far too harsh on Wally.  He's, what, 18? 19 maybe?  Nothing he's done with that as the lens makes him "irredeemable as a heroic character".  Far too hyperbolic from where I'm sitting.  Ditto your comments about Iris, but to each their own.

To be fair, I said "running the risk," meaning if they continue for a few more episodes with Wally acting out like that, it'd be over that line. There's still a chance!  Bear in mind, I WANT to like this show.  I LOVED it in season one, where it usually beat out AoS in my personal derby.  Now I think AoS is one for the ages and The Flash has just been running in circles (lousy pun thoroughly intended).
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2017 at 12:43pm | IP Logged | 3  

I hate having an evil speedster every season. The Flash's nickname should really be "One of the Fastest Men Alive....but not the fastest."!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2017 at 5:05am | IP Logged | 4  

Last night's Flash was the musical episode. I want to call it a crossover episode, but it wasn't really. Both Barry and Kara were in it, in pretty full roles, and I enjoyed it a lot. But it wasn't a Flash/Supergirl team-up... the two heroes didn't really show up, and I think we never saw Supergirl use ANY of her powers (well, except being an excellent singer.)

Five songs... I guess that makes a musical. Most importantly, I noted that Kara got one song, Barry got one song, and they dueted on "You're My Super Friend" and I damn near wet myself on that, it was so much fun. It took me back to the rule for "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" - Disney and Warner characters got the same amount of screen time.

As for Music Meister - what the ever lovin' hell? Was he supposed to be Amazo? For being a music master (I knows my German! :P ), he didn't do anything with music - just performed one song (really nicely, I must admit.) Instant hypnosis, Flash's speed, Supergirl's strength and heat vision... oh, and teleporting (at the easiest explanation.) My only guess was that he was from Earth-Prime... I mean, who else would be aware of both Supergirl's and Flash's romantic travails, and want them both to have happy endings?

I was amazed at the number of REMARKABLE singers in the DC TVU. My God, that Malcom Merlyn has a set of pipes... he missed his calling! Ditto for Winn and Cisco.

If you're a Flash or Supergirl fan, the episode isn't bad, although off the beaten path (not a bad thing.) If you're a fan of music, it's GREAT.

Still, I would like a little more from a "two part" episode than thirty-eight seconds at the end of Supergirl, and most of the action taking place in Flash. It happened here, as it happened in Invasion.

If this shows up again, don't miss it; it hits the right note.

Edited by Eric Sofer on 22 March 2017 at 5:06am

John Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2017 at 5:11am | IP Logged | 5  

The best part of this episode for me was being able to fast-forward 90% of it and erase it quickly, since I'm running low on DVR space. 

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2017 at 5:24am | IP Logged | 6  

My God, that Malcom Merlyn has a set of pipes... he missed his calling!

-----

John Barrowman was a highly acclaimed musical theater star and recording artist long before he did TV.

The DC shows are strangely loaded with musical theater talent, for sure, though: Melissa Benoist, Jesse L. Ferguson, Laura Benanti, Jeremy Jordan, Ciera Renee, Grant Gustin all have serious MT chops.

Edited by John Popa on 22 March 2017 at 5:29am

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2017 at 8:36am | IP Logged | 7  

Assume you mean Jesse L. Martin. Victor Garber and Carlos Valdes (Cisco) also have musical theater backgrounds. Doing a musical episode almost seems a natural considering the pedigree of so many of the actors. Found it to be oddly one of the more enjoyable episodes although the villain seemed to be more of a plot device than a character. There's no real background as to who he is, how he knows what he knows, what he's after, what and where do his powers come from... At first I assumed that he would be Abrakadabra (it fit all the questions), but that's next week.

Found it interesting that the son of Malcolm's doppelganger was also named "Tommy".

Liked that the episode advanced the relationship downers of the previous Flash and Supergirl episodes so we don't have them bemoaning their self-sabotaged relationships for the rest of the season.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2017 at 9:23am | IP Logged | 8  

QUOTE:
Found it to be oddly one of the more enjoyable episodes
although the villain seemed to be more of a plot device than a
character. There's no real background as to who he is, how he knows
what he knows, what he's after, what and where do his powers come
from...

I'm just deciding that he's a Fifth Dimensional imp from Earth-1. The
character is too weird otherwise.

QUOTE:
Found it interesting that the son of Malcolm's doppelganger
was also named "Tommy".

Too bad they had to deal with the Romeo/Juliet subplot with the Mon-El
and Iris stand-ins, because it would've been an opportunity to bring
back Colin Donnell, another Broadway star.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2017 at 11:03am | IP Logged | 9  

Whoops, wrong Jesse L. The dangers of typing on autopilot! Thanks. (And how could I forget Victor Garber!)

Edited by John Popa on 22 March 2017 at 11:04am

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2017 at 12:11pm | IP Logged | 10  

"The Music Meister" originated in the BRAVE AND THE BOLD cartoon a few years back, where he was also pretty much just a plot device (voiced there by Neil Patrick Harris, without the 'stealing powers' thing).

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2017 at 12:41pm | IP Logged | 11  

I also would have thought if Barry and Kara are into movies and recognize that they are in a version of "West Side Story" which is a version of Romeo & Juliet, that they would also recognize how the plot goes ie confessing to the respective fathers would not work, they're in a musical but it's a tragedy!

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2017 at 10:35am | IP Logged | 12  

Definitely one of the more enjoyable episodes in a long while - it's telling that the show gets much more energetic when Melissa Benoist drops by. But it also broke Candace Patton out of her weep of the week and showed how badly the writers treat her - she was great as the gangster's daughter.  I could have used an entire episode of that.

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2017 at 11:34pm | IP Logged | 13  

I usually don't like fill-in stories like this - that take characters out of character but I really enjoyed the episode. It was great seeing everyone show off their singing talent. I hope it is only a one-time experiment though.

Edited by Robert Shepherd on 24 March 2017 at 11:35pm

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2017 at 1:33am | IP Logged | 14  

I want an episode where Barry and Kara chase down a villain to an alternate Earth where everyone communicates by singing or playing instruments. This time all the cast members with musical talent (including any who play instruments but do not sing) appear as that Earth's versions of their normal characters.

Guest starring as the villain? Peter Capaldi, as....The Punk Rocktor. Or not. 

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2017 at 6:54am | IP Logged | 15  

Liked  that the episode advanced the relationship downers of the previous Flash and Supergirl episodes so we don't have them bemoaning their self-sabotaged relationships for the rest of the season.

That's about the only thing I cared for. Except when it ended. I was thrilled with that. 

Mario Ribeiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2017 at 7:22am | IP Logged | 16  

Haven't seen it yet, but it's the one episode I'm looking forward to.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2017 at 12:49pm | IP Logged | 17  

I found the episode to be a bit of a disappointment. I wanted to enjoy it but it didn't do enough for me. Oh well it was a nice try.

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2017 at 6:45pm | IP Logged | 18  

I was bored silly by the musical episode. It reminded me of the excruciating holodeck episodes on Voyager; just an excuse to drop the premise of the show entirely and play around in the wardrobe closet.

Having the Flash and Supergirl singing and dancing = potential fun

Having the Flash and Supergirl dress up in evening wear and pretend to be other people singing and dancing = a pointless mess

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2017 at 11:31pm | IP Logged | 19  

The soundtrack for the episode is available on iTunes. Its 7 tracks long.

(Music Meister theme, the 5 songs they sang on the show, and a guitar version of the song Barry sang to Iris. I assume that means its an acoustic version.)

I normally only watch an episode of any of the CW superhero shows once, but I kept the episode on the DVR, watched it again late Friday night, then deleted it. 

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 March 2017 at 5:33pm | IP Logged | 20  

I thought the songs were good, and actually preferred 'Barry and Kara', as opposed to 'Flash and Supergirl', singing. 'People in evening wear singing' is standard musical stuff. 'People in superhero costumes singing' is...musical cosplay. 

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 March 2017 at 9:21pm | IP Logged | 21  

Flash and Supergirl are cosplay regardless. Musical cosplay in a cosplay show would have been fine, and superior in many respects to the Holodeck approach taken here. While I enjoyed the light-hearted nature of some of the songs and found the final number to more effective than others here did, taking place as it did in "the real world," rather than on the Hypno-Holodeck, I did feel the lyrics strained for rhymes in places and fell down more often than they succeeded. Still, it was nice to see nonetheless. 

It came nowhere near touching Buffy's "Once More with Feeling." I might even put it somewhere behind Xena's "Bitter Suite." 

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2017 at 4:33am | IP Logged | 22  

The only thing I can say about the most recent episode is how HR was mysteriously absent for most of it when a certain villian was present

Hmm.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2017 at 4:42am | IP Logged | 23  

The only thing I can say about the most recent episode is how HR was mysteriously absent for most of it when a certain villian was present

Hmm.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If HR has a connection to Savitar. I't's going to be such a huge disappointment. We've been down that road twice now.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2017 at 5:42am | IP Logged | 24  

Funny thing ,I hadn't even noticed HR was missing until he showed up.
He's not having much impact on me.

Darren Ashmore
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2017 at 8:32am | IP Logged | 25  

I caught up with the musical episode last night (Sky TV in the UK is a week behind the US).  As a one off change of pace it was pretty decent, I thought the 'Barry/Kara both like musical movies' backstory felt a bit shoehorned in, since its never been mentioned before, but that was a minor quibble.
Gustin and Benoist are such likeable leads and, to me, the screen sparks when they are on together.  
Holy heck, Victor Garber and Jesse Martin can sure belt out a tune!  Best part though was seeing J'onn J'onzz, Vibe and Kid Flash together, as an 80's DC geek that was pretty special.

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version