Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Generations and "Elseworlds" series (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 19 July 2016 at 11:09am | IP Logged | 1  

I went in thinking this would be a fun read, but the author of this piece has immediately made it obvious that he (she?) is a steaming P.O.S. in my opinion:

Link: 10 Craziest Alternate Reality DC Comics

After opening the analysis with an out-of-the-ballpark slam against JB as a person, the author follows-up with this:

"The art on this one is great and worth the price, if you can find it a little discounted. The writing is a bit stilted and Byrne is a legit terrible dude, but if you can stomach all of that, this is a pretty decent little story that is at least full of imagination."

Grrr . . .

>:-[

Edited by John Bodin on 19 July 2016 at 11:11am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 July 2016 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 2  

Dumping on me is a quick and easy way for small people to embiggen themselves.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 July 2016 at 11:24am | IP Logged | 3  

Your original thread title was correct, btw. GENERATIONS was most assuredly not an "Elseworld," despite DC insisting on sticking that bullet on the cover -- without asking me, of course.

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 19 July 2016 at 11:28am | IP Logged | 4  

Thanks JB -- I thought that was the case (that Generations was NOT an Elseworlds series . . . at least in your estimation), but I was a bit surprised when I pulled up a cover image and saw the "Elseworlds" logo, so I thought I should "correct" my original title to avoid being "corrected" for my "mistake."

;-)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 July 2016 at 12:23pm | IP Logged | 5  

The whole point of GENERATIONS was that the series reflected the changes in the characters, and in comics in general, over the years. It was not just "characters age in real time," as so many seemed to think. It portrayed the characters as they were seen in comics of the Fifties, Sixties, etc. And, importantly, there was a deliberate lack of continuity between the stories, just as there had been -- tho not deliberately, per se -- thru their publishing histories.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2016 at 1:49pm | IP Logged | 6  

GENERATIONS is awesome.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2016 at 1:54pm | IP Logged | 7  

Yeah, GENERATIONS is perhaps one of the best Superman/Batman stories of all time. Excellent series, and a wonderful love-letter to the characters and their histories.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2016 at 2:04pm | IP Logged | 8  

To claim someone is a 'terrible person' in a review, I think you'd have to either (a) actually know that person or (b) back it up with some pretty airtight evidence.

I'd say the person who casually labels a person as 'garbage' in public without any shred of evidence for the claim tends to demonstrate that they themselves are 'garbage' more than anything else.

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2016 at 2:05pm | IP Logged | 9  

I loved the first two and the Batman/Captain America crossover.  Reading them in chronological order definitely adds a level of fun too.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2016 at 2:42pm | IP Logged | 10  

To claim someone is a 'terrible person' in a review, I think you'd have to either (a) actually know that person or (b) back it up with some pretty airtight evidence.

To mention what they personally think of the author in a review about the actual work is quite unprofessional, IMO. How they feel about the author shouldn't have anything to do with the work they are supposed to be reviewing.

(And yes, I realize the shitstorm swirling about Bill Cosby makes me a hypocrite, but there ya go.)

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2016 at 2:43pm | IP Logged | 11  

I loved the first two and the Batman/Captain America crossover.  Reading them in chronological order definitely adds a level of fun too.

That settles it. This is next on my reading list.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 July 2016 at 2:56pm | IP Logged | 12  

That settles it. This is next on my reading list.

••

And you do have the advantage of being able to read the chapters in chronological order, if so inclined. Not mandatory, of course. Read them in the published order, and the enjoyment level (whatever that is!) should be about the same.

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version