Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Generations and "Elseworlds" series (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2016 at 3:19pm | IP Logged | 1  

It's unprofessional to attack someone.

Dave Mustaine, of Megadeth, has said some pretty controversial things. However, when I read reviews of his work, I never see anyone attacking him. They separate the man from the music.

Of course, I am not comparing our host to Mustaine, simply stating that you leave things out of the equation, especially as his Bad Byrne Stories were probably relayed to him via his friend's roommate's cousin's neighbour.

As for GENERATIONS, what's not to like?
Back to Top profile | search

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2016 at 3:26pm | IP Logged | 2  

"Read them in the published order, and the enjoyment level (whatever that is!) should be about the same."

Thank you. I did not mean to indicate one type of reading was more fun than the other.  Only that reading both ways added to my own fun.

Josh Goldberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2016 at 3:29pm | IP Logged | 3  

GENERATIONS (all three inclusive) is my favorite JB series.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2016 at 3:47pm | IP Logged | 4  

That settles it. This is next on my reading list.

••

And you do have the advantage of being able to read the chapters in chronological order, if so inclined. Not mandatory, of course. Read them in the published order, and the enjoyment level (whatever that is!) should be about the same.

%%%%%%%%%%%

Oh, I know. His initial post that I quoted mentioned BATMAN/ CAPTAIN AMERICA and that got me excited to read it in chronological order.

Jason Larouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2016 at 5:47pm | IP Logged | 5  

Imagine a professional movie reviewer opening a review of 2001 with "First off, Stanley Kubrick was a bit of an asshole. Lets get that out of the way".

Edited by Jason Larouse on 19 July 2016 at 5:47pm

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 19 July 2016 at 6:48pm | IP Logged | 6  

The writer of the article appears to be a kid still in college at Chapman University, a Christian institution. Maybe he doesn't like how opinionated JB has been about religion.

I understand that JB got a lot of flak when the internet was first around. JB has been online since the beginning and he does not and has never had a filter, so his opinions on religion, the decline of the comic book industry, and his opposition to guns has led to some hard feelings among readers.

What I don't understand is why it continues. Most public figures were on their best behavior when the internet and social media started, giving politically correct nuggets and being careful about what they said online. But over time a lot of them have become much more vocal about their opinions. We've slowly seen comic book writers and artists of JB's generation get applauded for their candor when they commented on the decline of the comic book industry, very much echoing JB's comments. And so many of them talk politics and restrict people from their social media sites - something we were criticized for in the early days of the JBF but is now common.

JB has gotten heat over the years because there is an impression that he leans politically conservative, but I don't know if he fits into that (or any) box, I'm politically liberal and a proud member of the Democratic Party, so JB is more conservative than me, but I can at least see where he is coming from.

It's weird to see a reflex comment like this kid posted - I don't know if he is reacting a political or sociological opinion JB has expressed in his time here. JB has been taken out of context a bunch of times, but the foundation of his opinions are pretty solid. Don't believe in lies (religion), stop killing a great business (comic books), and stop killing each other (guns).

Or maybe something in his work? I think JB has a solid track record in his work -- he was very progressive in writing strong female characters going back to the 1980s. And we can't forget that he created the first gay character with Northstar at a time when they wouldn't even let him reveal that the character was gay. He does not fit today's Republicans -- just watch the Trump Show on TV this week - JB has none of the hate speech of the current crop of Republicans.

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2016 at 7:24pm | IP Logged | 7  

that was weird. No explanation, just stating that Byrne is a horrible person
as if it were a well known fact we all agree on. Sounds like you have a
secret enemy John. Maybe you cut him off in traffic years ago. just weird.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 July 2016 at 7:40pm | IP Logged | 8  

When I was growing up in Canada, there was a political party called the Progressive Conservatives. There was no point at which I felt myself aligned with them, but I did like that name. I felt it described my attitudes nearly perfectly. Let us go forward -- carefully

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2016 at 10:47pm | IP Logged | 9  

I couldn't resist the urge to read some other articles written by this guy and in his top ten Batman Elseworlds list I found this gem:

"Citizen Wayne has the honor of being the only DC Comics story written by Avengers, Spider-Man, X-Men, and Guardians of the Galaxy writer Brian Michael Bendis. And, like pretty much everything Bendis has ever written, it’s pretty darn fantastic."

Your Honor, I rest my case.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 3:00am | IP Logged | 10  

"Dailysuperheroes", yet another site that deals in second, third hand news. Who cares. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 3:35am | IP Logged | 11  

"Citizen Wayne has the honor of being the only DC Comics story written by Avengers, Spider-Man, X-Men, and Guardians of the Galaxy writer Brian Michael Bendis."

This kid seems to have drunk several gallons of the Kool-Aid. Once upon a time, it was the writers and artists who were honored to be working on particular characters. Now he would have us believe the characters are honored by whichever talent deigns to work on them?

sigh

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 5:26am | IP Logged | 12  

I love GENERATIONS! I recently managed to find an unused copy of GENERATIONS II, but have yet to find the third part.

But that's a strange article. It's as if the writer is apologising for liking the story.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version