Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 36 Next >>
Topic: Trump Wins Republican Nomination (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 8:02am | IP Logged | 1  

What I don't understand is the "Anyone but Hillary" memes I see all the time on Facebook. Do people actually plan on voting for Trump just to avoid Hillary? At least Hillary wouldn't be wrestling in the Oval Office. Or nuking Belgium because they bothered her.

••

I loathe Hillary, but she's getting my vote. And this in a state that pretty much always goes Blue. But I just can't afford NOT to vote.

Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 8:17am | IP Logged | 2  

Complacency about the utter impossibility of Trump winning is what could kill the Dems this year. It has to be treated as a serious threat, deserving our nation's best effort to keep a monster out of the Oval Office.

Take Trump at his word: he would enact (or at least pursue) policies that are anathema to American values. We cannot afford to assume someone else will save us from this orange-topped toxic waste dump.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 8:29am | IP Logged | 3  

His VP is a fool who helps him with nothing.

His choice of running-mate is a hard-core, hardline conservative Christian. It's nothing more than a ploy to ensure the Christian vote.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 8:30am | IP Logged | 4  

Someone has already mentioned it:  He's similar to Hitler.  I dislike saying that, because I doubt Trump will start building crematoriums and internment camps, but his values and ideas are VERY reminiscent of Hitler.

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 8:32am | IP Logged | 5  

"I still can't get the hang of the emoji's. That was
said with a wink and a smile."

Understood, Doug. ;) :D :) I could go on, but that's
plenty!

_____

"Don't kid yourself. Whether it's true or not, many
will be voting for Hillary Clinton expecting exactly
that!"

Oh I get that there are those that believe it! It's a
shame in this day and age (at least I know now that
Doug's not one of them, *phew*).
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 8:56am | IP Logged | 6  

I have tried to lead my life believing that people are mostly good and will do the right things when the chips are down. But when Trump gains the Republican nomination I think two things:
- That party is in such disrepair that none of them could fend off this lunatic.
- There are entirely more unthinking and potentially bad people in America than I thought.

I question education, law enforcement and even foreign policy over the last 20 or so years that gave rise to a group of people that actually believe Trump would be best for America. It's like the country is becoming the "international bully" that many other nations believe it to be. Has the collective IQ in America dropped that drastically? Are there that many people that can't think past a sound bite or headline?

Trump is the perfect president to be in place if collectively the US decided to stamp out the rest of the countries that disagree with their world policy. He would be great to conquer those parts of the planet that disagree with American. Is the country really on the verge of thumbing its collective nose at the world and believe its own "we are the greatest" chants? I continue to be worried because every week he gets closer and closer to putting an eventuality into motion that is less likely if he is not the most powerful person on the planet.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 9:06am | IP Logged | 7  

I question education, law enforcement and even foreign policy over the last 20 or so years that gave rise to a group of people that actually believe Trump would be best for America. It's like the country is becoming the "international bully" that many other nations believe it to be. Has the collective IQ in America dropped that drastically? Are there that many people that can't think past a sound bite or headline?

•••

Education is a huge problem, but ultimately it feeds into the biggest problem of them all, the pervasive Gun Mentality. It is so ingrained that even seemingly rational people are infected, sometimes unconsciously. And Trump speaks directly to that mentality, plus all its tendrils.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 9:22am | IP Logged | 8  

JB, you brought up something I had not thought of in another thread; that even owning a gun changes a person's mentality. Are we seeing the fruits of widespread gun ownership? Is this the tip of the iceberg or are we at the 7th level of hell? I agree that you have to be in a completely different frame of mind to buy a gun because you think it is necessary for your survival and that at some point it will save your life or the lives of people you love and care about.

I'm reminded of the movie "Paycheck". At the end, the justification of not seeing the future is that we end up with self fulfilling prophecy. Are we headed that way with gun ownership? People arm up in order to be safe and cause instability, fear and the most unsafe society in the history of the world...

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 9:28am | IP Logged | 9  

Isn't Gun ownership declining in the US? I thought it hit its peak in the late 70's. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 10  

Neil, I think it all depends on how you slice the numbers. My statement is pure speculation if gun ownership is up. I simply don't know the numbers, but my point is that the pervasiveness of gun ownership seems to have made the US less stable and safe. Although gun ownership proponents would have you believe things are safer with more guns in the public hands.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 9:44am | IP Logged | 11  

Anyway, before I cause too much drift. I am surprised and terrified that Trump has gone this far. I am equally terrified that friends and family think Trump is exactly what this country needs. The lines of division are so stark for this election that we are not simply discussing whether the two candidates are for: big or small government, pro-choice or anti-choice, etc. One of the candidates is capable of whipping a large portion of the constituency into a blood lust filled frenzy. That is a very scary realization.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 12  

We cannot afford to assume someone else will save us from this orange-topped toxic waste dump.

I wish I could disagree with that, but it concerns me. A colleague asked me why I should care about who is US President. Well, I'm sure there have been difficulties over time, but I like to think the UK and US have a pretty good relationship. I'm sure we've both been "critical friends" to each other at times, but I don't want that divisive individual - with his slogans and lack of policy - in the White House.

Please, America, don't let it happen. :(

<< Prev Page of 36 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version