Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 36 Next >>
Topic: Trump Wins Republican Nomination (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 9:05pm | IP Logged | 1  

Let me clarify:  Trump, like Hitler, is feeding people's fear in his rhetoric.  It doesn't matter if Trump actually believes it or not, he's playing off the fear and the prejudices (racism, religious extremism) of the people voting for him.

That is how he is similar.  The rhetoric Trump is spreading is similar to what Hitler used in 1933 to gain his power.  (FEAR!  THEIR RELIGION IS EVIL!!)
Back to Top profile | search

John M. Jackson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 9:29pm | IP Logged | 2  

I'm sorry, Kevin, but I see just as much, if not more, fear-mongering on the left.

It's like every four years Democrats are positive the Republican nominee is the new Hitler.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 9:32pm | IP Logged | 3  

Taking his opportunity to stick a shiv into Trump's back by no means makes Ted Cruz any sort of profile in courage but he showed more balls (and self-interest) tonight than any other Republican has show this year.

I should be amazed Trump allowed Cruz on stage without a formal endorsement and vetted speech, but this is not a professional operation.

Pundits predict Cruz has catapulted himself to 2020 frontrunner status but while I'm probably giving the GOP too much credit, I have trouble believing they'll flock in greater numbers to a candidate who's previous selling point was his unlikeability, which he's now compounded with disloyalty.

Edit: Rumor is a speech was vetted, but Lyin Ted pulled the fast one. 

Edited by David Miller on 20 July 2016 at 10:16pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2016 at 3:17am | IP Logged | 4  

The reception he received on visiting Scotland was hilarious. A Mexican band greeted him with tunes at the airport while the landowner who resides adjacently to Trump's golf course planted a Mexican flag on their border.
---------------------------------------------
I thought the best response was the middle-aged woman stood at the side of the road with a large hand-painted sign. Not sure I can post what the sign said (google it) but it was simple and effective.

I also liked the person who put a static-charged balloon above his 'hair'. Again google for the amusing image.

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2016 at 6:07am | IP Logged | 5  

As much as I disagree with Cruz's politics, I'm proud of him for saying what he believes and not falling in line.

Remember, even with the convention in Cleveland and Ohio having a popular Republican governor, you won't see Kasich this week!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2016 at 7:13am | IP Logged | 6  

Governor Kasich, Cleveland, and the vital state of Ohio are being shafted and insulted by the RNC, I feel. Of course, as a Clevelander, I might be a little biased - but then again, Ohio does count as a swing state, and I've seen how they're seated in the back, how Kasich was treated (or rather, not treated), and just some little things that make me think that the RNC feels entitled, rather than honored guests in Cleveland. This could have serious repercussions in November; pissing off Ohio and getting them to not vote for Trump could be his Waterloo. 

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2016 at 9:08am | IP Logged | 7  

Trump is setting himself up to lose. Unless Hilary self-destructs, which the Clintons are famous for. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2016 at 9:34am | IP Logged | 8  

Asked how he could go back on his pledge, Ted Cruz said Trump “abrogated” the pledge with personal attacks on his wife’s looks and by suggesting that his dad was somehow involved in the assassination of John F. Kennedy. “I’m not in the habit of supporting people who attack my wife and attack my father,” he said, “and that pledge was not a blanket commit that if you go and slander and attack Heidi that I’m going to come like a servile puppy dog and say, 'Thank you very much for maligning my wife and maligning my father."

Was never a big fan of Cruz, but I really can't argue with that particular reasoning. Trump's a big bully and personally I think till now he's gotten by without accountability for his hateful words. Hopfully that'll change.

-C!

Edited by Charles Valderrama on 21 July 2016 at 9:36am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 July 2016 at 9:40am | IP Logged | 9  

I'm having trouble with the timeline. When did Trump malign Heidi and Poppa Cruz? I thought that was back on the campaign trail. Did he actually do it after Teddy Canuck had agreed to speak at the convention?

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2016 at 10:02am | IP Logged | 10  

Here's a weird thing about Trump: he's like some twisted evil version (er, inter alia!) of Stan Lee respecting his penchant for adding sobriquets to his opponents. Little Marco, Lyin' Ted, Crooked Hillary. What would be weirder, and a lot scarier, if true, is if this simplistic tactic of bestowing calumnious monikers actually works on turning voters his way.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2016 at 10:07am | IP Logged | 11  

Trump's a big bully and personally I think till now he's gotten by without accountability for his hateful words. Hopfully that'll change.

This is what I hate.

He has no substance. He has no plan. He's just a person who knows how to insult others (and, hey, Donald, take a good look in the mirror!).

All I've ever seen in his speeches are variations on the following:

"I've built some great hotels, I'm a success, etc."
"I will make America great again."
"I have a plan."

Zero substance. I could tell you all that I am going to build a helicopter that can get to the moon. Hey, I've had some successes in my professional life. I will make that helicopter. I do have a plan. I'm on it.

Sadly, I can imagine him getting elected. I don't look at opinion polls, but have a feeling he has a lot of support. President Trump...no way. :(

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2016 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 12  

I'm having trouble with the timeline. When did Trump malign Heidi and Poppa Cruz? I thought that was back on the campaign trail. Did he actually do it after Teddy Canuck had agreed to speak at the convention?

It was on the campaign trail I believe…. and I'm not surprised that Cruz agreed to speak - tho' it's strange that anyone believed he'd actually endorse Trump just because of some lousy pledge that he probably agreed to BEFORE the comments about his wife and father were made by Trump.

-C!

Edited by Charles Valderrama on 21 July 2016 at 10:33am

<< Prev Page of 36 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version