Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 36 Next >>
Topic: Trump Wins Republican Nomination (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2016 at 2:31pm | IP Logged | 1  

The Libertarians would have a chance this year IF they would have found a fresh new face to spread their views instead of nominating Gary Johnson for the 5th time*.

* estimate-actual number of nominations may vary.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2016 at 2:38pm | IP Logged | 2  

I don't know enough about Gary Johnson or Jill Stein of the Greens to comment. What I do know is that, here in the UK, we've been screwed (mostly) for decades by both the red and blue parties. 

In the US, it seems both the Democrats and Republicans are pro-war, clueless on certain issues, etc. That does over-simplify things a tad, I know. But why not give another party a chance?
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2016 at 2:54pm | IP Logged | 3  

Look at this:

Marc Foxx
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2016 at 4:00pm | IP Logged | 4  

@Steven Myers - this is only the 2nd time that Gary Johnson has run for President on the Libertarian ticket.

He just needs to get to 15% in the polls to get in the national debates...and he's polling around 12-13% now.

Johnson/Weld 2016 campaign ad
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jeremy Simington
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2016 at 4:27pm | IP Logged | 5  

DAVID ALLEN PERRIN: But as time passes I think I will give in. And I fucking can't stand the Democratic Party for putting me in this position.

I feel your pain, but I truly believe that voting for anyone other than Hillary is a vote for Trump. There is simply no point to writing in someone else or not voting. Who exactly does that send a message to? What effective change will it accomplish? The reasoning of the Nader supporters I knew in 2000 was, "We have to show voters that there should be a 3rd option and even though we know there's no chance that Nader can win, the Democratic Party will see that we were right and we'll force them to make big changes. The worst thing that will happen is four years of George W. Bush and then we'll have a viable 3rd party candidate in 2004!" 

Yeah, that plan worked out GREAT. 

Any Democrat or independent or Bernie supporter or anyone else who is willing to consider voting for Hillary must vote for Hillary. Don't like her? Fine, spend the next 4 years finding a better Democrat to run against her in the primaries in 2020. But for fuck's sake, don't do anything that makes it easier for Trump to get elected. The lesser of two evils is LESS EVIL, and by several magnitudes of order in this election.

Want viable 3rd party candidates? Start working to get them elected to smaller positions like mayor, state rep, governor, congressman, and Senator. There's simply no chance of electing a 3rd party or fringe candidate as President before there are a substantial number of them in those other positions.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2016 at 4:42pm | IP Logged | 6  

Want viable 3rd party candidates? Start working to get them elected to smaller positions like mayor, state rep, governor, congressman, and Senator. There's simply no chance of electing a 3rd party or fringe candidate as President before there are a substantial number of them in those other positions.

I can't argue with that logic.

I could research it, but I'll ask, anyway: are there any mayors, senators or congress representatives who aren't Republicans or Democrats?

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2016 at 4:45pm | IP Logged | 7  

Robbie Parry wrote:
Why can't all disenfranchised folk vote Libertarian?

Isn't disagreement with their platform enough? I don't think a miniscule Government is quite the cure-all they seem to think it is.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2016 at 4:57pm | IP Logged | 8  

Why can't all disenfranchised folk vote Libertarian?

----

As an Atheist, I think prayer would be more effective in producing
change than the invisible hand of the free market.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2016 at 5:21pm | IP Logged | 9  

"...are there any mayors, senators or congress representatives who aren't Republicans or Democrats?"

I'm nor sure about local governments but there are 2 Senators* that are Independent. 

*Bernie Sanders was still registered as an independent as of 7/14.

Jeremy Simington
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2016 at 6:26pm | IP Logged | 10  

There are 435 members in the US House of Representatives. 
0 are independent/3rd party.
There are 100 US Senators.  
1 is Independent.

My state of Pennsylvania is the 6th most populous in the US.
There are 203 members in the state House of Representatives and 50 state Senators. 0 are independent/3rd party.

California is the largest US state by population.  They have 40 state Senators and 80 state Assembly members. 0 are independent/3rd party.

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2016 at 6:50pm | IP Logged | 11  

Robbie Parry wrote:
Why can't all disenfranchised folk vote Libertarian? Why not give someone other than Republicans and Democrats a chance?

All the disenfranchised folks are not a unified bloc that agrees on the issues.  Bernie supporters who want things like free college and a single-payer healthcare system would be incredibly foolish to vote for Johnson, who supports massive tax and spending cuts that would dismantle the current social safety net, much less make expansion of it possible.  Voters who think Trump isn't a genuine social conservative are hardly going to like Johnson's advocacy for legalized drugs and prostitution or his support of gay marriage.  There is no ideal third party candidate that can appeal to everyone who dislikes Trump and Hillary, because people dislike them for many different, contradictory reasons.

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 21 July 2016 at 6:50pm

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2016 at 7:36pm | IP Logged | 12  

Plus Libertarian isn't the only other party out there. 

On principle, I'll never vote Green party.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 36 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version