Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Best Experience Q for JB (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2016 at 7:25am | IP Logged | 1  

What would you say is your all-time best experience working in comics? A favorite storyline, an amazing collaboration, something that came out better than you expected, first time in print, first time a fan asked for your autograph...?

I'm asking because a couple of threads seem to dwell on unhappier moments, and I'd like to balance that out a bit. :)
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 July 2016 at 7:53am | IP Logged | 2  

Despite my grumblings -- and youse guys uncanny ability to ask me about experiences that were not the best! -- I have had a lot of fun working in comics, and there have been some truly good experiences.

My brief time working with Archie Goodwin was terrific, for instance. I was strictly art robot on that job, but the plots Archie provided were a joy to just sit and read. Plus he knew when to step back and let the artist do what the artist does.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2016 at 10:16am | IP Logged | 3  

I'm glad you mentioned that. His Wolverine arc was really terrific--and I hoped La Bandera would make a comeback--but not only that: it was my rare privilege to interview him (in his office!) about that very story for COMICS SCENE magazine.

Happy to hear that it was such a pleasure to work with him; he seemed like a really incredible guy.

Thank you, JB!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 July 2016 at 10:59am | IP Logged | 4  

Most everybody thought Archie was a great guy. In fact, I know only one pro who is adamant in his dislike for Archie, and as I have pointed out to him, in his stories of what a nasty guy Archie "really" was, there is only one common factor -- the guy telling the story!

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2016 at 7:15pm | IP Logged | 5  

How could anyone named Archie Goodwin be a bad person? If I had to make up a name for someone who was chronically nice, it would probably end up sounding a lot like "Archie Goodwin".
Back to Top profile | search | www

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2016 at 7:40pm | IP Logged | 6  

"it was my rare privilege to interview him (in his office!) about that very story for COMICS SCENE magazine. "

--

Hah, really? I think I have that issue....is it the one that featured JB's breakdowns pre-Janson, colored?

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2016 at 10:04pm | IP Logged | 7  

I really liked Archie Goodwin - it's hard for editors to critique a young wanna-be when they are clearly not ready for any pro work, but he said I was 50 pages away from giving it a shot. He gave me real hope.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2016 at 10:31pm | IP Logged | 8  

I still remember his MANHUNTER with Walt Simonson.  Those were 16-page comics squeezed into 8 pages--and it worked!  Goodwin and Simonson both made it work and it stands today as an incredible example of comic book storytelling.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2016 at 6:27am | IP Logged | 9  

Writers/artists almost unanimously seem to have great things to say about working with Archie Goodwin.  Must've been quite a guy.  Wish he was still around. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 July 2016 at 7:30am | IP Logged | 10  

How could anyone named Archie Goodwin be a bad person? If I had to make up a name for someone who was chronically nice, it would probably end up sounding a lot like "Archie Goodwin".

••

As you may know, Archie Goodwin was the name of fictional detective Nero Wolfe's assistant, his Dr. Watson.

Years ago, at a New York Con, Mark Gruenwald staged his own version of "Truth or Consequences," where audience members were invited to estimate whether a panel of pros were giving truthful answers to various questions. I was one of the panelists. When it came my turn I wove a whole tale about how, as a boy, Archie had lived with his family next door to Nero Wolfe's creator, Rex Stout, and Stout had become so fond of, er, Li'l Archie he had actually named the character after him.

The real Archie was actually born in 1937, three years after the fictional one made his first appearance.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2016 at 7:50am | IP Logged | 11  

Vinny, yes it is! Marvel's Steve Saffel was WONDERFUL about arranging things like that.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2016 at 7:52am | IP Logged | 12  

And JB, that is a fantastic tale to spin for this kind of event. I'm guessing a lot of people thought it was true.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version