Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Wow Moments (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2016 at 6:46am | IP Logged | 1  

My favorite comic writer many years ago was Steve Englehart. His Detective Comics stories with Marshall Rogers are without a doubt some of my all-time favorites.

However, my favorite single issue story of his was from his run on Green Lantern (193 I think?). "A Sapphire's Tale " took the entire timeline of Carol Ferris of Star Sapphire, and without ret-con's, wove it into a unified whole, showing Star Sapphires place in the Green Lantern universe.

Still to this day one of my comic favorite stories.
Back to Top profile | search

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2016 at 7:22am | IP Logged | 2  

The "death" of Doctor Doom in FF 260. As
obvious as it seems, Doom transferring his
consciousness into another person went
right over my head.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 July 2016 at 7:24am | IP Logged | 3  

In another thread, someone asked me what I thought of Chris Claremont's writing. I said that when he was good, he was very good.

An example of this, and something of a personal "Wow Moment," was in an issue of IRON FIST, where Danny Rand returns to his family brownstone, and wanders the halls and rooms experiencing ghostly memories of his life there as a child. Obviously, I drew the scene, so I knew what it was, what was happening, but when the issue came out, and I read Chris' script, it actually brought tears to my eye.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2016 at 7:30am | IP Logged | 4  

Daredevil #191 blew my socks off when I was a kid.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2016 at 7:44am | IP Logged | 5  

JB: I made Guardian's resurrection as outlandish as I could, especially including one BIG clue that indicated things were not as they seemed.
It's been a while since I read this story, so...what was the biggest hint that you dropped? In retrospect, it's a head-smacker for sure, but I might have missed it as well. (I probably did--I wanted Mac back!)

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2016 at 7:49am | IP Logged | 6  

Personal wow moments:
Sue's miscarriage in FANTASTIC FOUR #267
Negan's brutal murder of
 INVISO TEXT (Click or highlight to reveal):
Glenn
in THE WALKING DEAD #100
the Death of Superman (SUPERMAN #76) -- didn't really care for the multi-issue storyline, but the final pages were pretty impressive
Rorschach murdered by Dr. Manhattan (mostly why he was murdered) in WATCHMEN #12

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2016 at 8:59am | IP Logged | 7  

X-Men #113,the team prisoners of Magneto,J.B.`s artwork blew me away! Like James,i was a slave to the whims of U.K. distribution,i`d cycle miles every month to different newsagents to get my fix! The big disappointment was part 2 of Days Of Future Past not being distributed,so i went the mail order route,then i started the weekly trips by train to Birmingham to Nostalgia And Comics,there i overheard a conversation that Alan Moore had landed Swamp Thing,a character i thought was a poor Man Thing copy,i read Moore`s first few issues,and loved what he was doing,the art was ace too.Then there was Frank Miller`s Ronin,i loved his DD,but this new format partnered with Frank`s story and art really hooked me.All this and J.B`s Alpha Flight,FF,Man Of Steel etc,what a time to be a comic fan!

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2016 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 8  

The more I read, the more I think Bill and I seemed to share this weird, separated by 100 miles, life.

I well remember doing my weekly trek around the newsagents in town, seeing which newsagent had which issues. And missing key issues such as X-Men 142 and just having no clue as to why that was.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2016 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 9  

Regarding Guardian's death in Alpha Flight #12 and his "return:" I recall at the time wondering how Mac was supposed to have called Heather by name as he was burning to death when by "his" own account, he'd already been transported away to Jupiter or wherever and all Heather was seeing was a collapsing pile of ash from the carbonized air that had surrounded him at the moment of transport. Empty Mac-shaped shells of ash usually aren't so loquacious. 

I wasn't so far ahead of the story that I knew it was an outright lie, but I do remember thinking that if this was really what they were going with, it was going to be a particularly weak return story. I did give it time to play out however and was pleasantly surprised my vague feeling that something wasn't right was correct in the end.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2016 at 2:10pm | IP Logged | 10  

James,i think it just that we share a 60`s/70`s U.K. childhood!

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2016 at 2:10pm | IP Logged | 11  

Although they weren't  'continued' or connected stories, the back-to-back MTIO # 100 and THE THING # 1 in 1983, both left quite an impression on me, from the stark depictions of life in 'Post-Galactus' New Amsterdam in the former, to the circumstances of Ben 'coming of age' in the latter.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 July 2016 at 5:39pm | IP Logged | 12  

I well remember doing my weekly trek around the newsagents in town, seeing which newsagent had which issues. And missing key issues such as X-Men 142 and just having no clue as to why that was.

••

Ah, the Thrill of the Hunt! Such an important party of reading comics until the DSM industrialized the marketplace.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version