Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5
Topic: Wow Moments (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 July 2016 at 6:35am | IP Logged | 1  

As opposed to making all new bits, that were never lying around, and hammering them in with as much force as possible because they don't fit and wreck everything.

••

Marvel has taken on the form of a scene from LOST IN SPACE that I have cited before: the Robot has been stolen and taken apart. John and Don are putting it back together, and at one point John says "This part doesn't fit. Hand me that file." My sixteen year old self almost yelled at the screen "If it doesn't fit, it doesn't go there!!"

Marvel in recent decades has been a long stream of moments of reaching for that file.

Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2016 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 2  

Reminds me of an old commercial where the workman gives a sly smirk and says, "We'll make it fit."

And yeah AF 12 has to be added to my list of gut-punch moments. NEVER saw it coming.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 July 2016 at 11:21am | IP Logged | 3  

AF 12 has to be added to my list of gut-punch moments. NEVER saw it coming.

•••

At the time, many people were convince Snowbird was for the chop.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2016 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 4  

In my area, Snowbird was considered the character on the way out. It was a friend behind the counter at the LCS that suggested to me Guardian might be the one dying. When I asked how the main guy on the team could be killed off, he replied with, "When does John Byrne ever do what you think?"

This was the first time I can remember speculation getting ahead of my experience. The next time was when things leaked that the Thunderbolts were made up of villains posing as heroes. And thus spoiling became the norm and people actually thought knowing a secret was better than experiencing a story. A HUGE gut punch to the industry was the inability to keep things under wraps.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 July 2016 at 12:28pm | IP Logged | 5  

"When does John Byrne ever do what you think?"

••

Back when that was still considered a good thing! Over my years online, I have noticed a distinct change in the thinking of some fans. They now consider any story that does not go the way they expected it to to be WRONG.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2016 at 1:27pm | IP Logged | 6  

Guessing, finding out, etc. and being right about it is preferred these days. As if there is some "Sherlock Holmes" merit badge everyone is trying to get.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2016 at 4:24pm | IP Logged | 7  

"They now consider any story that does not go the way they expected it to to be WRONG."

----

Back when Google opened up USENET archives about 10 years ago, going all the way back to the early 80's, I came across a thread on the old rec.arts.comics.misc newsgroup where people were trying to guess what the name of Reed and Sue's baby was supposed to be....then the miscarriage happened and they were PISSED. They felt like they were cheated out of their little friendly betting pool, almost as if you did it deliberately to piss them off. It was really freaky to read.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 July 2016 at 4:37pm | IP Logged | 8  

There are three levels to this.

• I don't like it.

• Therefore it is bad.

• Deliberately.

As if that really makes sense!!

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2016 at 6:09pm | IP Logged | 9  

I was GOING to wait for the Omnibus, but, instead, out they came from the bookshelf last night. So great! I got through #2 and went straight to dreamland.....man, Aurora was gorgeous. I will never get over the way she looked on #7. Smokin'.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 5
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version