Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 2 ~ SPOILERS start Pg 5 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2017 at 3:15pm | IP Logged | 1  

Yikes.  I really did not like this very much at all.

Just saw it, and will have to sleep on it some more, but for me, this was exactly the type of obnoxious, smug, "Oh look, we're hot shit!" sequel I was hoping we wouldn't get.

The story was a gloppy mess (subplots all over the place, and Chris Pratt is somehow relegated to a supporting player in his own movie), and quite frankly, I thought the dialogue was surprisingly poor, and the "comedic" bits were terrible.  Some mildly amusing and/or touching bits here & there, but not enough to save it for me.  It's easily one of my least favorite of all of the Marvel Studios films.

Can't say I out-and-out hated it, but a huge disappointment just the same.

(The songs choices were great, however.)

Edited by Shaun Barry on 06 May 2017 at 3:37pm
Back to Top profile | search

Benny Hasa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2017 at 3:55pm | IP Logged | 2  

This is a tough one for me in trying to figure out if I like this one more or the first film. 

Either way, I loved this film from start to finish. Tightly structured and entertaining throughout the entire running time.  Ego was great, and maybe the most well crafted villain in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.  

The film also tugged at my emotional strings, as I was practically in tears by the end as the last scene fades out on Rockets face. The fact that these character resonate so well makes me realize how well written everything in the film was. The characters, the story, it all flowed smoothly and I feel the need to watch it again. 

Funny, sad, and just an overall great film.  Easily one of my favorite Marvel films, if not my favorite. Marvel continues to strike gold. 

Oh, and the Stan Lee cameo? Pure cinematic bliss. 

Laren Farmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2017 at 4:36pm | IP Logged | 3  

Can't believe how much I loved this film.  I enjoyed the first one...but this blew me away.  Nebula...Yondu...Rocket...Mantis...all of them hit me emotionally.  And Russell was fantastic as Ego.  
Back to Top profile | search | www

Olivier Droz
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2017 at 6:10am | IP Logged | 4  

It worked well, laughed a lot. I just do not see why Yondu could not be saved "just in time" like Peter was in the 1st movie, Rocket knowing he gave a jetpack he would have waited close enough for the rescue.

For my best enjoyment of upcoming phase 3 movies, I would have like postcredit scenes to provide hints on some phase 4 archvilain. I feel everything is too much orbiting around Thanos (which is not the case in the comics), even if I am glad of the Warlock genesis scene.

So to enhance the "comics experience" in the MCU, we should have quickly other great vilains on the scope

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2017 at 7:38am | IP Logged | 5  

Edited by Brian Miller on 07 May 2017 at 7:39am

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2017 at 2:06pm | IP Logged | 6  

I am Groot.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2017 at 2:27pm | IP Logged | 7  

It was big, loud, extremely colorful, and ultimately entertaining enough to be worth the Dolby Atmos Experience ticket price.

That said, I don't have a real need to see this again... Ever.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2017 at 7:00pm | IP Logged | 8  

I'll just mention one thing that really pissed me off about the weird, uneven, juvenile humor about VOL. 2:

Spoiler:

INVISO TEXT (Click or highlight to reveal):
During Yondu's admittedly touching funeral, James Gunn still managed to have Chris Pratt/Star-Lord slip in some wink-wink jokes about David flippin'-Hasselhoff.

Talk about beating a dead horse with that joke at the most inappropriate time.  I wanted to throw my popcorn up and exclaim, "Will you give me a f___in' break!!!"

Really not a fan of the overall approach to the humor, this time around.  Painfully, gratingly unfunny for most of the film.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2017 at 7:27pm | IP Logged | 9  

Talk about beating a dead horse with that joke at the most inappropriate time.

-----

Maybe you just hate David Hasselhoff? I didn't think it was inappropriate at all.
It came off as very sweet and sentimental and certainly not a joke at Yondu's
expense.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2017 at 8:18pm | IP Logged | 10  

Different strokes, Michael... by that scene, I just wasn't diggin' the film, period, and that joke came across, to me, as really stupid and poorly timed.  Maybe I could understand trying to inject some sort of levity into the situation, after what happened to both Ego and Yondu, but the Hasselhoff reference completely let the air out of what was shaping up to be a nice, poignant scene.

Edited by Shaun Barry on 07 May 2017 at 8:21pm

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2017 at 8:41pm | IP Logged | 11  

"I'm Mary Poppins, y'all!"

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2017 at 8:54pm | IP Logged | 12  

Maybe I could understand trying to inject some sort of levity into the situation,
after what happened to both Ego and Yondu, but the Hasselhoff reference
completely let the air out of what was shaping up to be a nice, poignant scene.

-----

But it wasn't solely about injecting levity into the situation. The idea of Star-
Lord as a child telling the other kids that his absentee father was David
Hasselhoff was funny, but it's also a bit sad. Gamora certainly appreciated his
vulnerability in telling that story. Realizing that Yondu was the father that he
wished for as a child all along was touching and the Hasselhoff references
worked for a character who deals with his abduction as child by clinging to the
pop culture of his youth, from his mom's mixtapes to naming his ship after
Alyssa Milano.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2017 at 9:33pm | IP Logged | 13  

"I'm Mary Poppins, y'all!"

One of the best lines in the movie.

Loved this movie.  It's not a great as the first one, BUT there's some great character stuff going on and there were tons of "easter eggs" in it as well.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2017 at 9:37pm | IP Logged | 14  

(Brian, you just pegged the only real laugh I had in the entire movie!)

Michael, I suppose I understand the logic behind it, but at the same time, the overabundance of pop culture references grew tiresome for me.  Who knows... I'll probably still give it a second viewing somewhere down the road, since my son seemed to enjoy the film, and we will most likely end-up owning this, once it hits on Blu-ray.

Edited by Shaun Barry on 07 May 2017 at 9:38pm

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 07 May 2017 at 10:13pm | IP Logged | 15  

Shaun Barry wrote:
by that scene, I just wasn't diggin' the film, period, and that joke came across, to me, as really stupid and poorly timed.  Maybe I could understand trying to inject some sort of levity into the situation, after what happened to both Ego and Yondu, but the Hasselhoff reference completely let the air out of what was shaping up to be a nice, poignant scene.

But I didn't read it that way at all.  What was, at first, a funny reference to Hasselhoff turned into something poignant by the end of the film.  It wasn't, at all, an attempt at a joke or levity, but a realization that the father figure he had pined for was there all along. It works for me.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 07 May 2017 at 10:18pm | IP Logged | 16  

As far as my personal take on the film, I really enjoyed it.  I thought it was one of the better sequels in the Marvel cannon.  That said, I don't think it superior to the original.  I can't quite put my finger on it, but that first film caught lightning in a bottle for me and this one, as ambitious as it was, just didn't.  It's good.  I'll end up adding to my library.  But I didn't walk out of it with the same high that I did the first.  

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2017 at 11:26pm | IP Logged | 17  

The whole reason he talked about David Hasselhoff during the funeral scene was because it closed the circle on the conversation he had with Nebula earlier.  It worked for me.  Shrug. 

It's funny, the Zune when it came out was actually a superior device, with some pretty awesome features.  (You and other Zune users on the same WiFi router could share songs or all listen to the same song, for example).  Always made me a bit sad that it ended up being turned into a punchline so often.  (The TV show Chuck had a pretty memorable Zune joke too). 

Other than a few too many unnecessary swear words, I didn't have too many problems with the movie.  Ego's plot was pretty nasty, and Peter learning that his mother was just one of millions (and purposefully given cancer) was a pretty hard slap. 

Fabrice Renault
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 May 2017 at 3:39am | IP Logged | 18  

I really enjoyed the movie and the only moments I found a bit tedious were the "Taserface" moment with Rocket Racoon (a bit too long) and the carpet joke with the golden people.
The whole battle inside Ego was better than the final act in the first movie.
Did anyone notice that the whole "Groot putting bomb in Ego's brain" plot was lifted from John Byrne's FF issue with Ego ? (or maybe it had been done in some other stories involving Ego too - I haven't read that much comics involving Ego).
On the other hand, although I knew Ego was a bad guy, the whole "Kurt Russell is Peter Quill's father" thing sort of convinced me that Ego was a good guy this time. I blame Kurt Russel's charisma on that one.

Rooker stole the show this time around. Still, maybe we'll get to see him again with the original "guardians of the galaxy" somewhen.

In my opinion, a very strong sequel.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 May 2017 at 7:48am | IP Logged | 19  

I will say that the prologue in 1980 featuring a young Kurt Russell is probably the single greatest example of CGI "de-aging" that's come down the pike... to my eyes, it looked flawless.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 May 2017 at 9:47am | IP Logged | 20  

Did anyone notice that the whole "Groot putting bomb in Ego's brain" plot was lifted from John Byrne's FF issue with Ego ?

I thought the same thing, Fabrice. I think it occurred to me when Rocket strapped the bomb on his back. I loved the movie, I don't think it's superior to the first but it's still great fun!

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 May 2017 at 10:13am | IP Logged | 21  

I will say that the prologue in 1980 featuring a young Kurt Russell is
probably the single greatest example of CGI "de-aging" that's come
down the pike... to my eyes, it looked flawless.

-----

As I understand it, a lot of that was makeup. CGI was used to place a
younger actor's skin on Kurt Russell's face to smooth out the lines, but
it helped that Russell has aged relatively well.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 08 May 2017 at 10:14am | IP Logged | 22  

I thought I might see the film a second time, but that seems unlikely to happen.  There are new movies opening for the next five weeks that I'm interested in seeing, so I doubt I'll get around to GOTGv2 again.  If I had to boil my review down to a simple "thumbs up" or "thumbs down", GOTGv2 would get an up; yet I don't have much desire to see it again.

The film suffers from sequelitis: the idea that more is better.  Occasionally that works (CIVIL WAR), but usually it doesn't (AVENGERS 2).  In the case of GOTGv2, it was a mixed bag; nowhere near as egregious as A2 or, say, THE PIRATES OF THE CARRIBBEAN sequels, but I think the film would have been improved by some judicious editing.

Too many sequences, especially of the exposition-y type, drag on; jokes are repeated even when they weren't that funny the first time; and the pacing is erratic and sloppy.  I prefer the relative leanness of the first film's storyline.

I'll go against the grain in this thread: I didn't care much for the villain.  Ronan is one of my favorite MCU villains: a visually arresting character; an actor who disappears into his role; a clear goal; clear motivation; and real world analogue in religious/racial zealots.  Ego was ... Kurt Russell playing Kurt Russell with some vague plan to detonate a Genesis bomb or something.  I didn't find it threatening or engaging.  It was a serviceable plot to hang some action set pieces from.

On the plus side, the characters worked well and I think the introduction of Mantis and bringing Nebula and Yondu more or less into the fold was handled smoothly.  The production was colorful and inventive; the action scenes were almost dizzingly inventive and fun; and the humor was mostly on point.  (I could have done without the cretinous toilet and penis jokes.)

Short version: drop 15 to 20 minutes onto the editing room floor and I probably would have regarded this as on par with the original.  As is, I needed a fast forward button.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 May 2017 at 12:37pm | IP Logged | 23  

In reply to the question re Groot/Ego and the bomb, I think a bunch of people noticed that when it popped up in the trailer.

You have to give this movie credit for showing a full on face for Ego the planet. Compare that to the FF movie that had Galactus as a cloud
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Lund
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 May 2017 at 1:36pm | IP Logged | 24  

I agree with Thom.... Kurt Russell doing Kurt Russell, that was about
it.... Everything played overtly long for a gag and then a knowing
glance at the audience... It was at times "fun" but very tedious to sit
through. Stallone put me right out of the movie altogether.... He was
Starhawk? Gag!

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 May 2017 at 2:34pm | IP Logged | 25  

I thought it was solid as a movie and as a sequel. Not every movie Marvel puts out is going to be their best movie ever. It wasn't quite as good as the first, but it wasn't a pronounced stumble like the majority of Marvel's #2 films. 

It might have been better than the first with ruthless editing. There were around a half dozen scenes that dragged. Also one scene too many of an unbeatable hero effortlessly murdering all his opponents in slow motion. Hopefully they'll save the next one for Rocket's solo film. 

I liked Kurt Russell as the villain. When he first appeared riding that egg in space, I was hoping it wasn't him just to add to the random cosmic-ness. But he was good. "Who the hell do you think you are?" was about as interesting and idiosyncratic a response to an attack as we've seen in a superhero movie.

I'm not sure the ending earned its emotions -- Gunn was smart to let Cat Stevens do the heavy lifting. At the same time, I appreciated the relentlessness of the scene's length, and how it insisted on hitting ridiculous notes like introducing the sort-of original Guardians to put on a fireworks display. Silly but sincere. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version