Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Drone delivery trials in the UK (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2016 at 9:02am | IP Logged | 1  

Plus, I'm happy for some things to just remain as they are. I can happily wait for Amazon to deliver my parcel via a car or van. Or lorry (or whatever they use). I have no yearning for it to be delivered by drone.

There are different delivery options, anyway. Sometimes I'll opt for next-day delivery, other times I'll go for free delivery and wait a few extra days. It'll get here eventually via car, motorcycle, van, lorry, etc. 
Back to Top profile | search

J W Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2016 at 9:12am | IP Logged | 2  

Bill Collins wrote:
Plus i can`t read whilst a passenger as it makes me travel sick,so doing other activities is a no-no for me!

Again, you're thinking of SDCs in terms of a traditional vehicle. A great many of the designs have only a passenger compartment with two seats facing torwards the direction of travel, and two away. For a lot of people, the direction they face is a key factor in eliminating travel sickness. For the rest, it's usually the movement of the passing environment in their peripheral vision, and you'd be able to completely black out the windows in that scenario…

Edited by J W Campbell on 27 July 2016 at 9:13am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2016 at 9:21am | IP Logged | 3  

Followin the Law of Diffusion of Innovation, it requires a certain amount of risk and expense before something can reach the tipping point that it can become a new standard. Even in testing, Amazon cannot afford to send all packages by drone. When it arrives in the US, the FAA has a great deal of requirements for commercial drone use. All of these expenses will be passed on to the Innovators and Early Adopters. They will have to pay for "1-day drone delivery" and I bet it won't be cheap. This will give the program time to iron out bugs, figure out how to bring down costs, and , essentially, answer many of the questions posed above. 

Keep in mind, at this point it costs a lot more for a single certified pilot to fly a drone back and forth from a warehouse to each delivery one at a time than it does to pay a delivery drive to load up a truck once and go to each routed destination. 
Back to Top profile | search

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2016 at 9:24am | IP Logged | 4  

I don`t get travel sick in a train or plane when reading,just a car(Can`t even glance at my phone or browse the music system(when a passenger),but i can`t see blacking out the windows catching on! I ought to add,watching Cloverfield made me nauseous for a couple of days!
Like Robbie,i can wait for my Amazon delivery by post or courier,employing people! If i`m THAT desperate for a dvd/cd/book i`ll get off my arse and visit a shop...in my car! ;-)

Edited by Bill Collins on 27 July 2016 at 9:42am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2016 at 9:26am | IP Logged | 5  

Joseph,seeing as there is a payload limit,you will be restricted to small items,i wonder if the cost of delivery will outstrip the cost of the purchase?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version