Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Drone delivery trials in the UK (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2016 at 12:40am | IP Logged | 1  

Today, the UK government is announcing that they will team with Amazon to look at the practicalities of deliveries by drone.

It will be looking at a number of things such as level of sensors required, can one person control more than one drone, how big should they be, what regulations will need to be changed.

I wonder if it will look at just how big an incentive it will be to idiots with BB guns to try to shoot the things out of the skies.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2016 at 1:19am | IP Logged | 2  

I just can`t see this working,as James said,my first thought is idiots shooting at them,then there`s the crowded airspace,if there are lots of them flying overhead,privacy,annoyance etc,the prospect of injuries,road accidents if one falls from the sky.What about the terrorism aspect? Do we need our skies filled with drones when,terrorists could hide a rogue on in amongst the Amazon ones? How cost effective are they against a courier? I bet health and safety lawyers are rubbing their hands already! 
Self drive cars are another thing that makes me wonder `why`?

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2016 at 4:00am | IP Logged | 3  

Self drive cars are another thing that makes me wonder `why`?
-------------------------------------
Probably less accidents for a start.
Back to Top profile | search

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2016 at 4:13am | IP Logged | 4  

Already death`s caused by system not recognising the difference between the side of a truck and the summer sky.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2016 at 6:01am | IP Logged | 5  

I can already hear the Amazon accountants/lawyers pounding their calculators trying to figure out how many  wrongful death settlements vs. couriers salaries and benefits  would make this viable .

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 July 2016 at 6:50am | IP Logged | 6  

This is a cousin to movies racing to create CGI actors when the technology was nowhere near ready. People have a need to get the cool new toys out there as soon as possible, even tho this kind of JETSONS technology -- drones, self-driving cars -- is still years away from being perfected.

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2016 at 7:02am | IP Logged | 7  

To be fair to self-driving cars (specifically the Tesla autopilot), per passenger mile, it is already twice as good as people.  Granted, there's only 150 million miles on it for comparison (for cars, that really is a small sample), but still.  The company goal is 10 times as good as people.  That doesn't eliminate accidents completely, but if universally implemented it could take global passenger fatalities from around 104000 people per month to 10400/month.  Looked at that way, even only twice as good is worth it.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2016 at 7:39am | IP Logged | 8  

As a whole that sounds good.
But you would still have to feel for the poor innocents who were not ; falling asleep, drunk, driving distracted , etc. and are still killed.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 July 2016 at 7:52am | IP Logged | 9  

To be fair to self-driving cars (specifically the Tesla autopilot), per passenger mile, it is already twice as good as people. Granted, there's only 150 million miles on it for comparison (for cars, that really is a small sample), but still. The company goal is 10 times as good as people. That doesn't eliminate accidents completely, but if universally implemented it could take global passenger fatalities from around 104000 people per month to 10400/month. Looked at that way, even only twice as good is worth it.

••

"I hope this little incident won't put you off flying, Miss Lane. Statistically speaking, it's still the safest way to travel."

BTW, here in the JBF we cling to the old fashioned, more sensible way of expressing numbers. Use commas, please! I have better things to do than count figures to find out what the number is supposed to be.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2016 at 8:17am | IP Logged | 10  

My wife has just changed cars from a manual to automatic due to her arthritis,having driven it for a few weeks after only having driven automatic`s when in the U.S.,i must admit i prefer manual(Stick shift) i like something to do while driving,i could see myself getting bored in a driverless car! Plus,what are the legal ramifications if you drink alcohol before getting in the driver`s seat? On the one hand you are in the driver`s seat,so legally `in control` of the vehicle,but if it drives itself and is statistically safer than a driver,what is the problem if you`ve had a couple of drinks? Not that i would ever drink and drive,but as with the drones,it seems a lot of stuff is a grey area,and no real thought seems to have been put into how these things would work out when you add the public into the mix!

Jeremy Simington
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2016 at 11:38am | IP Logged | 11  

I cannot wait for self-driving cars. I like to drive but I would enjoy nothing better than getting in, telling it where to go, and doing whatever I want. I would also love to have this technology when I become too old to drive safely. I'm not optimistic that it will be ready in my lifetime, but I'm hoping!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2016 at 11:46am | IP Logged | 12  

I can envision driverless trains/trams before driverless cars. Trains/trams, unlike cars, follow a certain path/route, never deviating - so perhaps it is practical to have driverless functions.

Cars, however, can go where they want, when they want (sometimes in the wrong direction, ignoring traffic signs). I don't want to be around driverless cars.

And no way am I ever getting on a pilotless airplane! 

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version