Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: OT: Pokémon Go And Unity/Fitness (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2016 at 9:18am | IP Logged | 1  

Back in 2012, I noticed something odd: people, as in strangers, were actually talking to each other in subways, on buses, in restaurants, etc. The topic was the 2012 Olympics. It somehow brought a lot of people together, especially after the extraordinary opening ceremony.

Here in 2016, Pokémon Go appears to be bringing people together, too. It doesn't interest me (I've never followed the franchise). However, a friend of mine, who works in a bookshop, said complete strangers are now talking to each other about Pokémon Go. She said that because people tend to notice others playing the game - I guess something gives them away - and it gets many conversations going.

Isn't that a good thing?

However, my social media feed, and various comments at work, seem to be dismissive. I've seen people described as losers, etc.

My god, something - and does it really matter what? - brings people together, gets strangers talking and that's considered a bad thing? Really.

Then there's the fitness angle. Personally, if I'm outdoors or hiking, I want to see the surroundings, not a mobile phone screen. However, whilst it may not do people's eyes or neck much good in the long run, at least people are outdoors. I was pleased to see this tweet yesterday:

Nice. Sure, again, I wish they were outdoors looking at their surroundings and appreciating nature, but each to their own. At least they are outdoors. The media and various social media folk complain constantly about obesity and people never venturing outdoors. And now we have people doing just that. So what do those people do? Complain, anyway.

It is sad that it's taken Pokémon Go to unite people. It's even sadder that after the hype has passed, strangers will go back to being strangers and not attempting to communicate. And it's also sad that after the fad has passed, young folk may once again retreat into their bedrooms. 

For now, though, and this is just my view, I'm going to enjoy the fact that in an increasingly hostile/uncertain world, strangers are choosing to talk to each other. I don't care what united them, whether it's this, the Olympics or the price of beer. What matters for me is that people are talking and coming together. Maybe some of those strangers who began chatting about Pokémon Go will go on to become friends and talk about other things. Doesn't that deserve some goodwill?

Edited by Robbie Parry on 27 July 2016 at 9:19am
Back to Top profile | search

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2016 at 9:30am | IP Logged | 2  

So I was out of the country and Pokemon Go "hit".  My wife was trying to explain it to me. I was only thinking of the card game, she was talking about the app game.  It took a while to get on the same page.

They morning after I returned from Singapore, we were going to brunch and walking through a sculpture park to get there.  Its a beautiful park, but for the first time, it was crowded. Everyone was on their phone, face down, catching Pokemon.  I started outwardly mocking what they were doing. I wasn't being discreet. Yet not a single person in my vicinity looked up at me. Finally my wife said, "fine, you're right. But how many of these people would be out here on such a beautiful morning if not for Pokemon Go?"  At that point she had me, I conceded to her point, and stopped mocking entirely. 

My wife plays, I don't.  But in the two weeks since she started, we have been on more walks together talking and enjoying each others company than we had been on in the last two years, probably. 

Its a social media game that physically brings people together in interesting places in a noncompetitive way. I support the game.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2016 at 9:31am | IP Logged | 3  

With all the division, strife, and killings that have gone on in the last
month, I absolutely loved the fact that strangers were wandering the
parks, beaches, and shopping centers, talking to each other, and being
united for the same purpose. Even if that purpose was enslaving cute
digital animals in order to subject them to the equivalent of cockfighting.

My local park had people hanging out until midnight and 1 am just
playing the game, and it felt safe. Which was a nice thing to have after
the recent mass killings have taken away the idea that certain places
should be safe from your being gunned down.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2016 at 9:43am | IP Logged | 4  

Excellent point. There is a consideration that this merely proliferates the activity of staring into the phone and wandering around aimlessly, ignoring everyone around them (the way most diners at restaurants seem to be anymore.)

But there have been events, games, occurrences, etc. that have caused this previously, and if it fosters positive interaction and a little physical activity - maybe it's not such a bad thing after all.

If I think about it, I'm minded to remember a lot of people who used to read newspapers* that just sat and read, rather than watched their phones. It's probably easily comparable...

*These used to be collected sheets of paper with ink on them, with factual information about news, current events, sports, entertainment, local news, and advertisements. They were kind of nifty in their way. Also most useful for wrapping fried fish and french fries in some locales.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2016 at 9:43am | IP Logged | 5  

Thanks, fellas.

Yes, been so much death and destruction recently, not only in the places you'd expect it (i.e. Middle East), but in France, Germany, etc.

Pokémon Go won't solve the worlds problems, nor is there any guarantee people will continue chatting after the fad has passed. The chatty and affable people discussing Pokémon Go on the train may well just be silent after the fad has passed, but for now I'm enjoying the unity.

Taavi Suhonen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2016 at 12:33pm | IP Logged | 6  

I've been playing the game and it certainly has led me into many conversations I probably would have never had otherwise. Probably about 70 km worth of extra walking too - the app count is around 140 km now, but I would have ended up with roughly half of that even without it. There's no real need to constantly stare at the screen since you can set the phone to vibrate when you're near a Pokémon.

I also participated in a local Pokémon Go walk recently that ended up getting a lot more participants than the organizer (a friend of mine) had anticipated, so since the people needed to be split into 4 groups instead of the planned 3, I ended up leading the additional group around town.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2016 at 12:43pm | IP Logged | 7  

Some people are too stupid to play it, though. 

The app clearly says be alert and pay attention to your surroundings. There's a news story on Facebook about a 15 year old girl who was hit by a car.....because she walked out onto a busy highway chasing Pokemon.

Fortunately, the girl wasn't killed or horribly maimed. But the girl and her mom are blaming the app. Not the girl for doing something stupid.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2016 at 12:50pm | IP Logged | 8  

Yes, personal responsibility should be a thing.

Sadly, you will get people (not just with this app) doing stupid things. A bus driver was fired in my city a few years ago for reading a novel at the wheel. Stupidity exists everywhere.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2016 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 9  

You can blame the people for being stupid, but don't you think there is a care of duty on Nintendo's behalf to NOT put Pokemon's on highways, near power lines, etc?

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2016 at 1:09pm | IP Logged | 10  

Well, Peter, there is this, too:

Jason Larouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2016 at 1:26pm | IP Logged | 11  

For every fad (or trend if you want to call it that) there's always a group of people running to tell everybody how great they are for not participating in it.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2016 at 1:30pm | IP Logged | 12  

For every fad (or trend if you want to call it that) there's always a group of people running to tell everybody how great they are for not participating in it.

Seems to be that way, yes.

With anything, whether it's Pokémon Go or strip poker, I think if it's what people want to do, and no harm is involved, then why complain?

I'd rather people were doing something like that than committing the horrible acts we've seen in the news recently. 

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version