Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: GENERATIONS collected (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2016 at 12:50pm | IP Logged | 1  

"This volume looks to me to be like one of those SPECIAL
DVD collections that's really just the previous
collection with a new box. This is GI and G2, previously
collected in trades, and this will be those exact
editions, I'm sure."

Gee, if only there was something else that could be
included to make this a more enticing buy. There's
something RIGHT THERE, but it's just not coming to me...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 July 2016 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 2  

If you're thinking G3, Trevor, since that has not been collected as a trade there would be more work involved in putting the volume together than whatever is the digital age's equivalent of "grabbing the film."

The annoyance factor for me is that this will probably help perpetuate the myth that G3 was a poor seller, which it was not.

Back to Top profile | search

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2016 at 12:58pm | IP Logged | 3  

Indeed I was. Thank you for the clarification and
education!

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2016 at 5:19pm | IP Logged | 4  

My surmise is that this is probably part of their attempt to cross-market with the newly returned Super Sons.

Paul Reis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2016 at 8:51pm | IP Logged | 5  

i'm just going to repeat what others have said:

a collected G3 would have made me get this, but... 
i already have G1 and G2 collected, so, no!
(might have even splurged if G1 and G2 was in chronological order)
who at DC thinks these things out? - or should i say, doesn't think these things out ?

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2016 at 5:56am | IP Logged | 6  

Tangent: A tale of the Legion of Super-Heroes and DC Comics.

For a brief time, DC was reprinting some stories as new 100 Page Super Spectaculars... some collections and even mini-runs that were more recent.

They did this with a four part Legion story as a Super Spectacular.

ITEM: The page count wasn't 100. I'm sure that "100 Page Super Spectacular" is a brand name, not intended to be descriptive but even so... COME ON! Corollary: I'm reminded of a letter I saw once in Four Star Battle Stories, but instead of the word "Star", there were four actual stars. Someone wrote in and said that there were only three stories in their book.

ITEM: But the point of all this dreck... at the time those original stories were being printed, there were two comics... Legion of Super-Heroes and Legionnaires, and one of them (I think it was Legionnaires) was always the first part of the story, and it continued into Legion of Super-Heroes.

So the rocket surgeon assembling this collection A) put the stories together by book, and B) started with LSH. That is, for a four part story, it was published as part 2, part 4, part 1, and part 3.

I'm confident that brain trust at DC would (and will?) do the same thing with Generations and Generations 2. As noted below... in chronological order (which might make sense... they were kinda independent chapters. But I'm certain that's not how Mr. Byrne intended them to be read!)

And where's my G3 TPB already, damn it? And for three hot series, why the hell couldn't DC make Generations an ongoing? Or at least order G4? Did they really want to spite Mr. Byrne so badly that they would cut off profits? Was something more important than the money???

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2016 at 6:31am | IP Logged | 7  

In comics? Always Eric, always

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2016 at 6:37am | IP Logged | 8  

"And throw in that Gotham Knights story, too?"

I have to ask, what is the Gotham Knights story? The context of the post has me believing there is another Generations story that I may have missed?

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2016 at 6:38am | IP Logged | 9  

@James  Woodcock - Truly? Something more important than the almighty profit? I've seen some of the worst crap peddled as stories and art, and some of the dingiest events promoted - events that even some ad men might think twice about. With no disrespect intended sir, I cannot think this was done for art's sake.

But I wouldn't dismiss your opinion out of hand. Could you give me two or three "for instances", please?

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 29 July 2016 at 7:47am | IP Logged | 10  

For GENERATIONS and GENERATIONS II, I like having the individual issues on my bookshelf since they have a spine - I believe it's called "perfect binding" as opposed to the regular comic book saddle stitch.  These are cool to have on the shelf, just like BATMAN & CAPTAIN AMERICA, GALACTUS VS. DARKSEID: THE HUNGER, the OMAC series, and the STAR TREK: NEW VISIONS series.

GENERATIONS III consisted of individual issues, so that's the only one I want bound into a trade.  C'mon, DC!  

Dave B Stewart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2016 at 11:08am | IP Logged | 11  

Gotham Knights #2 has a black and white Batman 8 pager by JB that is very much in the style of Generations.  I could be mistaken, but I believe that JB may have said that it is a Generations tale.

Regardless, it is worth tracking down.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 July 2016 at 11:21am | IP Logged | 12  

Gotham Knights #2 has a black and white Batman 8 pager by JB that is very much in the style of Generations. I could be mistaken, but I believe that JB may have said that it is a Generations tale.

••

Originally it said so right on the story. Then, after it had been approved at every level and was about to go to press, the order came down to remove the GENERATIONS logo. No explanation given.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version