Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: Which soundtrack fits better? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2016 at 12:53pm | IP Logged | 1  

I didn't post this thread on the Movies forum because my focus is mainly on the comicbook characters. Now that there are so many films, there are some characters who have seen more than one depiction on screen, with their corresponding soundtracks.

My question is, which of both soundtracks do you feel fits better with the comic book character?

For example, in the case of the X-Men, we have the first trilogy (2000-2006) and the“prequels” (2011-2016). Which of the soundtracks fits better? While I prefer the score of the most recent films, I feel that the music for the original trilogy sounds more suitable, particularly the main theme. The melody feels a little odd –excuse my lack of musical terminology-, actually it’s not easy to hum, and somehow I feel it is appropriate for a group of misfits.

As for Superman, we have the classic John Williams score, and the music for Man Of Steel. I like both, but Williams’ music reflects better what’s the character like (or what it should be like). There is a feeling of fun, of joy, you can see the crowds cheering Superman when he appears and saves the day. In other parts there’s a feel of thrilling anticipation. Perhaps MOS score fits the late New 52 Superman better, on the other hand (and I like the action sequences music a lot).

Now Batman.There’s the soundtrack for the Burton films and the music for the Nolan trilogy. The Batman theme by Elfman sounds great, but it sounds like action and adventure. I think the soundtrack by Zimmer and Howard for the trilogy harmonises better with the tone of the comic book character nowadays.

There are more cases, such as Spider-man or the Fantastic 4.

What do you think?

Back to Top profile | search

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2016 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 2  

Nothing tops John Willams' Superman march. It's my favorite Superman theme. It's my favorite John Williams work. It's my favorite movie theme, period.

Elfman's BATMAN theme was one of the best things to come out of that production. If I think "Batman music", it's that, the 60's TV theme...then everything else.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2016 at 2:10pm | IP Logged | 3  

JW's Superman music is my favourite that's been done so far for Superman. Nothing else is even close.

I liked Elfman's music for Batman, I like Elliot Goldenthal's theme for Batman Forever as well. Nearly as much as Elfman's. I think Zimmer's Batman work was fairly melody free and I don't rate it.

As I said in a different thread, I think Michael's Giachhino's main theme for Nu-Trek would have actually made a good Batman theme.

I don't find the recent wave of superhero films to have memorable music.

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2016 at 9:49pm | IP Logged | 4  

I can't say many of the super hero themes have had any staying power over me except the original Superman, original Batman, and Dark Knight series. Of the three I loved the Dark Knight sound track. 

I'm a big Hans Zimmer fan and I like just about everything he does.

I'm sure I like may well enough but I can't hear them in my head right now - hmmm - except for Danny Elfman's Spider-Man.

And I really like the new Wonder Woman theme song so hopefully the sound track will have the same vibe.

Edited by Robert Shepherd on 28 July 2016 at 9:51pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 July 2016 at 5:03am | IP Logged | 5  

Since it's the only one I can remember to the point of knowing which movie it came from, I would go with John Williams' original SUPERMAN score.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2016 at 8:07am | IP Logged | 6  

As Wonder Woman has been mentioned, I'd also add I'm a fan of that bass riff that comprised much of the theme tune from the TV show. Hell, I'm a fan of the theme song as well.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 July 2016 at 8:20am | IP Logged | 7  

Hell, I'm a fan of the theme song as well.

••

Tho I never understood why they wanted to "Get us out from under Wonder Woman..."

Oh, there's a comma? Never mind!

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2016 at 8:22am | IP Logged | 8  

I think John Williams' Superman will never be surpassed

I like Danny Elfman's Batman but also like Zimmer's soundtracks as I'm a big ambient music lover - so the more gentle stuff in there is really good for me to listen to

I prefer Elfman's Spider-Man 2 theme than the music in Amazing Spider-Man

With X-Men, I think Henry Jackman did a good job with X-Men: First Class - there are some really nice bits in there, particularly when Banshee is flying.

I love and my son especially loves the main theme to AVENGERS. Any time I play that I'll catch him singing along to it

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version