Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: Atlantis A’swipes (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2016 at 5:49pm | IP Logged | 1  

I have fond memories of the Atlantis Attacks crossover, so I dug up my old issues and tracked down the last few gaps to plug. JB's enjoyable contributions* to that storyline made an impression on me even back then, but I didn't realize that his work also, um, inspired a panel in the closing chapter of FF Annual #22...

*Great writing, plus pencils inked by Terry Austin and Walt Simonson?!? More, please!

Back to Top profile | search

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2016 at 8:23pm | IP Logged | 2  

The penciller on that issue was Rich Buckler; This wouldn't be the first time he'd relied upon the work of others to inform his own.

There's a website I just found called Panelocity that breaks down swipes and the panels where the art first appeared. Type "Rich Buckler" into the search engine and a number of examples will appear. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 August 2016 at 6:22am | IP Logged | 3  

Can't find the search function on Panelocity, but just some random clicks tell me this is a site that really stretches the definition of "swipe."

Sure, there are instances of Buckler swiping -- that's shooting fish in a barrel, really -- but there are also instances where he and other artists are simply positioning figures the way one most likely would when presenting a particular pose.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2016 at 7:32am | IP Logged | 4  

I never understood why Buckler swiped.  His natural style was really quite good!  He was a master of cinematic storytelling; you can't steal the things he excelled at.

(Though I can see DC asking him to ape Neal Adams on covers and WORLD'S FINEST and Marvel asking him to keep the Kirby vibe going on FANTASTIC FOUR.)

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2016 at 7:35am | IP Logged | 5  

Wow, how did I not spot that one before?

Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2016 at 7:42am | IP Logged | 6  

Some of those Panelocity swipes are a stretch.

I remember reading an interview in "Wizard" with George Perez who said one of his jobs as assistant to Rich Buckler when Perez was starting out was to find suitable swipe material for Buckler. Since I've seen examples that I am sure were not swipes by Buckler in the past (I think...), he does seem to have the ability to come up with images from his own head without relying on swiping. To me, as an artist myself, it seems an awful lot of work to swipe nearly everything, or as much as Buckler did, apparently. It seems easier to me to just come up with something on your own.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 25 August 2016 at 10:42am
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 August 2016 at 7:48am | IP Logged | 7  

Roger Stern tells of his days as an editor at Marvel, when one artist turned in his latest (in both senses of the word) job with several pages still having the xeroxes of the panels said artist had swiped taped to the back!

There's no real sin in swiping. It's a good way to learn, for example. I've used swipes that way myself. The problem arises when artist become dependent on swipes, just basically tracing page after page of other people's images.

But as I have said many times before, there are a limited number of ways some characters can be drawn. If someone asks for, say, Captain America charging at the camera with his shield in front, it's most likely going to look a whole lot like the last 101 times that shot was done.

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2016 at 9:03am | IP Logged | 8  

I did manage to find the search function - you have to
leave the mobile site and use the standard web page, and
even then it's tricky. With that said, as others have
noted, some of the examples are definitely stretching the
definition of "swipe". In their defense though, I did see
examples where they pointed out that a certain image was
probably just similar, and not a swipe.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2016 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 9  

One of my favourite JB quotes: "Swiping is a good way to learn. It's not a good way to make a living."

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version