Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: King for a Day (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2016 at 2:44pm | IP Logged | 1  

Dear Anthony,

I don't want to be one of those guys, but I am.

Please expand and detail your knowledge of comicbook history and the publishing industry prior to 1963. And please remember nothing happens in a vacuum.

'nuff said! 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Steve just so I'm clear on this what exactly is it that you are asking of me? 
Back to Top profile | search

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2016 at 3:19pm | IP Logged | 2  

First let me say that if i'm wrong on something I've mentioned please someone point it out. I'm going on memory here of things I've read and heard years and years ago and the memory is faulty.

Prior to the silver age of comics most of the comics I've seen had little or no credits in them. Now I'm not saying all comics. Just the ones  I came across. It wasn't until I saw Marvel's comics of the 60's that I began finding the names of the artists and writers in the credits. If DC was doing them first I wouldn't know I didn't collect DC very much.  As far as the nicknames go. I never saw anyone but Stan Lee doing that. 

I've read several different books on the history of comics growing up. 'All in Color for a Dime'  Les Daniels'Marvel Five Fabulous Decades'.

I've seen several documentaries on the history of comics and Jack Kirby. including Jack Kirby Storyteller.Which you can watch on youtube.

'Masters of Comicbook Art' also available on Youtube
'Comicbook Confidential'

I listen to a NPR interview of Jack Kirby from years ago. I enjoyed it very much Stan Lee even calls in and gets involved. It's available on youtube.

I've read some articles that Mark Evanier has written about Jack Kirby.
Lastly I've had several phone conversations with John Romita sr. Years ago when I first began submitting samples to Marvel Comics. When JRSR wasn't helping me with his art I'd ask him what was it like behind the scenes. Naturally since it was something I wanted to do I was curious about what went on behind the curtains.

It's because of these different experiences talking with various people and the stuff I've read. saw and heard that form my opinion.  I'm not claiming to be an expert. It's just my observations. And I encourage people to share their thoughts and  opinions. 

Bert Kruger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2016 at 3:40pm | IP Logged | 3  

Hey guys, give this a read if you haven't already, pretty good read.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2016 at 3:43pm | IP Logged | 4  

I'm looking forward to eventually reading it. I've thumbed thru a few pages but haven't been able to pick it up yet.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2016 at 6:54am | IP Logged | 5  

Anthony, you make your case well. And you're right that Stan did aggrandize all of his artists (and even his writers when he became editor in chief), so I have to say that your point deserves very serious consideration.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 August 2016 at 6:58am | IP Logged | 6  

Jack Kirby deserved to be called the King his talent alone merited that moniker. But it was Stan Lee who sounded the trumpet and said long live the king.

••

Something to which Kirby responded disparagingly at first. I recall an interview in which he was asked about the "King" title, and he dismissed it, saying "I don't write the credits!"

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 August 2016 at 7:04am | IP Logged | 7  

I can't fathom that Kirby was ever denigrated in any quarter. The power of his work is overwhelming. How can such seemingly simple lines create art so mighty?! Utterly amazing.

••

I'll loan you my time machine, and you can go stand behind me at the various conventions where fans asked me who were my favorite artist. Nods of appreciation when I said Neal Adams, John Buscema, Bernie Wrightson. Pantomime gagging and puking when I said Kirby.

Perhaps the only good thing the Image Boys did was adopting Kirby. Their intent was self-serving, comparing their "plight" to his, but they got their psychophants* to at least pretend to appreciate Kirby.

Of course, the pendulum then swung too far in the other direction, with Kirby going from disparagement to deification.

===============

• © Mike O'Brien

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2016 at 8:03am | IP Logged | 8  

QUOTE:
...at the various conventions where fans asked me who were my favorite artist. Nods of appreciation when I said Neal Adams, John Buscema, Bernie Wrightson. Pantomime gagging and puking when I said Kirby.

JB, did Kirby's reputation at that same time take a similar dip in the opinion of professionals?

Bert Kruger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2016 at 8:18am | IP Logged | 9  

JB said - "Pantomime gagging and puking when I said Kirby."

I'll admit I was guilty of this.
I didn't really start to appreciate Kirbys art until I was in my 30's...same can be said for me about Ditko. 

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2016 at 8:37am | IP Logged | 10  

When I was a young collector, I was more interested in style (details, textures, unnecessary rendering) over substance. I didn't 'get' Jack's work, but now stare in absolute awe at his stuff.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2016 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 11  

Anthony,

Truly it was a suggestion, do as you might.

Just a few questions:

Have a look at the first page of Captain America #1 (March 1941). Note the credits, how is it possible to have such cachet? Specifically , it is Jack and Joe, but they are not the first to command such recognition. Who else was there, who did?

How does the publishing industry return policy and practice tie into the US Prohibition?

No one needs to answer the questions, even if you have an answer readily available.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2016 at 9:37am | IP Logged | 12  

Any man who could come up with the idea of a guy wearing
trunks, riding a surfboard through space and make it cool,
will always be the King, in my book.

If someone tried to come up with such an idea today, they'd
be laughed out of their editor's office.

I'm not even a huge fan of the Silver Surfer, but I marvel
at the mind that could create it and make it work on the
page.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version