Sean Watson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2016 at 11:14am | IP Logged | 3  

Happy Birthday! Incredible artist!
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 August 2016 at 12:11pm | IP Logged | 4  

Happy birthday to the Man, the Myth and the Master.

Rich Marzullo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2016 at 12:21pm | IP Logged | 5  

His influence has reverberated for decades, and (hopefully) will continue to for generations to come. What a legacy...

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2016 at 12:47pm | IP Logged | 6  

The Torch lighting the cigar. Love it! 

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2016 at 3:53pm | IP Logged | 7  

I'm wondering just now about the Jack Kirby we knew. How much of the legend that he became was do to Stan Lee? Now I'm not thinking about the usual debate about who did what and when. What I'm thinking is would the average comic reader had known who Kirby was if Stan Lee hadn't dubbed him the King. Stan was the King of promotion I don't think that is debatable. Jack Kirby was very much the opposite. At least that's the impression I have gotten from what I've heard and read. For certain people within the industry would have known the name Kirby. But that doesn't mean he would have achieved the status he eventually achieved because of Stan. I also think had it not been for Stan's promoting Jack Kirby. His legend may not have recovered from the Jack the Hack days. Jack Kirby could have ended up a footnote in history like many of the other talented artists from the golden age of comics. That most of the youthful comic readers of today never heard about.

Thoughts?

Edited by Anthony J Lombardi on 28 August 2016 at 3:55pm

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2016 at 5:08am | IP Logged | 8  

To The King!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2016 at 6:21am | IP Logged | 9  

Anthony Lombardi - In the venue in which Jack Kirby is measured, I think that Stan Lee's promotion may have played a small part. But his art was still brilliant, and those who laud such efforts would still have seen it, and would have recognized and acknowledged it.

I also feel that a case may be made that Stan's plotting may have driven Jack to greater and greater heights. A plebian story likely would not have required the grandeur that Kirby seemed to achieve so easily. But Stan threw the Fantastic Four and Thor epics around like a farmer scattering seeds, and Jack turned them into an excellent crop. I'm not so sure that Jack's limits would have been challenged if he had been the artist on Daredevil or Ant-Man.

Stan gave everyone a nickname and promoted them, but we don't really discuss Dashin' Don Heck or Gentleman Gene Colan in the same way that we do Jack Kirby. Both artists were splendid, no doubt - but they aren't the King.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2016 at 6:36am | IP Logged | 10  

QUOTE:
How much of the legend that he became was do to Stan Lee?

Perhaps in a negative way this is applicable too, i.e., folks long after the Lee-Kirby team was defunct started aggrandizing Kirby to Lee's detriment, "justified" by their placing the onus of blame on Lee for supposedly first aggrandizing himself to Kirby's detriment.

That nonsense aside... I can't fathom that Kirby was ever denigrated in any quarter. The power of his work is overwhelming. How can such seemingly simple lines create art so mighty?! Utterly amazing.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2016 at 9:18am | IP Logged | 11  

Anthony Lombardi - In the venue in which Jack Kirby is measured, I think that Stan Lee's promotion may have played a small part. But his art was still brilliant, and those who laud such efforts would still have seen it, and would have recognized and acknowledged it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
Eric there is no question that Jack was brilliant. I agree that those who lauded the effort would have seen it. Artists and collectors would have recognized his talent. But I think it is safe to say that there were more people who just read comics and didn't care about the behind the scenes stuff.

On one hand Jack Kirby was an innovator. On the other hand he is just some guy like so many other guys toiling behind his drafting table. Trying to crank out a living. From all I've seen of Jack Kirby I get the impression that even though he was aware of his importance. He was just another guy behind the drafting table. He wasn't a self promoter. Now Stan Lee first and foremost is a carnival barker. I think his writing is fantastic. Many of the character I loved growing up spoke with his voice. But he was the King of promoting. If I recall correctly it was Stan Lee who first put the artists and writers names in the credits of the comics. Certainly he began the nicknames.

Jack Kirby deserved to be called the King his talent alone merited that moniker. But it was Stan Lee who sounded the trumpet and said long live the king.

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2016 at 2:40pm | IP Logged | 12  

Dear Anthony,

I don't want to be one of those guys, but I am.

Please expand and detail your knowledge of comicbook history and the publishing industry prior to 1963. And please remember nothing happens in a vacuum.

'nuff said!

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version