Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6
Topic: Talk About Lowering Standards (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2016 at 9:05am | IP Logged | 1  

It used to be a privilege J.B.,but the reason i stopped buying them was because it was becoming a chore to read new titles,now when my friend passes Previews on to me,the only things that take my interest are the trades of classic 60`s,70`s and 80`s stuff.James,it`s not an advert,it`s informing the uninformed! Comixology has the J.B./Claremont Iron Fist Epic Collection on offer from today!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2016 at 9:10am | IP Logged | 2  

It used to be a privilege for me as well, and I held on for much longer than I should have. It got to the point where I was reading an X-Men comic around 2003 and it took me until the middle of the issue to realize...that I had already bought this same issue and read it months before. At that point I decided that if nothing in the content was worth me actually absorbing (The cover didn't even tip me off that I was buying a duplicate!), then it's not worth me buying to begin with. At that point, I broke my 20-year continuous streak of buying X-Men.
Back to Top profile | search

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 04 October 2016 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 3  

The sad thing is,for the price of 2 Marvel monthly comics,i can subscribe to Netflix for a month...which one provides the most entertainment and value?

The last time I made an effort to read comics, I went to my local (now closed) store and paid a not-insignificant amount for a stack of books. I went home, read them, and realized it took me only about 90 minutes; hardly a good return-on-investment for what I paid.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2016 at 9:56am | IP Logged | 4  

Comics are good value if you enjoy the particular issue (in my view). I'm still a proud owner of SUPERMAN VOL. 2 #9 (our host's first Superman/Joker counter). It cost just under a quid back in 1987. I've re-read it many times since. Not a bad investment, eh?

My only beef is when you don't feel you are getting a complete story. Or, if the story is part of an arc, well it feeling like a warm up.

I think Stan Lee and Mr Byrne were able to keep sub-plots going and give so much bang for your buck. Even when their stories were part of, say, a three-part arc, nothing felt wasted. Each part of the Galactus trilogy can be enjoyed and feels like great value.

It doesn't necessarily feel that way when the first issue of something is almost all talking heads and a warm-up to a mission. 

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2016 at 10:16am | IP Logged | 5  

Value for money/bang for Buck,that`s the thing,if i can re-read a comic numerous times over the years and still enjoy it,i have had value for money,even if it only took me 10-15 minutes to read.If i spend $3.99 on a current title featuring characters i don`t recognise or like,stories with continuity that confuses the hell out of me,that takes 10 minutes to read and leaves me with no desire to read it ever again,then i feel i haven`t had value for money.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2016 at 10:20am | IP Logged | 6  

Absolutely, Bill.

I want to support monthly comics rather than TPBs. For a comic industry that sells monthly books to survive, it needs us buying it.

But I concur with what you've said. There's definitely an incomplete feeling, especially when certain issues don't feature action.

One of my favourite arcs from yesteryear is "The Lazarus Affair" (BATMAN). At the time, it felt special as it was four issues long. True, you needed to read the four issues to really appreciate as a whole, but each issue had bang for its buck, i.e. one issue saw Batman skiing and taking on Ra's al Ghul's forces. It didn't feel wasted.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 6
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version