Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: A Thought About Creator/Fan Interactions (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2016 at 11:12am | IP Logged | 1  

Yes, that shows a level of self-absorption found in some people. They are the sorts who throw empty beer cans onto the streets because, well, "one empty can on the sidewalk won't make a difference". :/ 
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 September 2016 at 11:24am | IP Logged | 2  

Very early on I started wearing an OFF DUTY badge when away from my table. I did this because signing one book out on the floor would raise a cry of "Hes signing over here!" with the accompanying surge of bodies.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2016 at 11:32am | IP Logged | 3  

It's just weird. I don't get that at all. Maybe it's just me, but it's like I saw Margot Kidder heading towards the toilets at Collectormania one year. It would never have crossed my mind to even attempt a conversation, follow her, etc. 

Always try and follow proper etiquette. 

I saw an actor from the BBC drama CASUALTY in town years ago. Buying lunch. Did I want to approach and say hi? Yes! But I chose not to. That was his time. 

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2016 at 12:43pm | IP Logged | 4  

Some people seem to throw regular manners out the window the moment they see a famous person. I think a lot of celebrities show amazing restraint when confronted by someone who "just" want a selfie or an autograph.

A funny side-note: A few years ago Jo Nesbø was doing a book signing. I had no idea, I was just passing by on my way from work when I spotted him by a table outside the bookshop. He was tidying up and obviously finished for the day, so I had no intention of stopping. But then he looked at me, smiled and asked: "Would you like a book?" I ended up buying his latest novel and getting it signed. It would have felt rude not too ;-).

Casey Sager
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2016 at 3:37pm | IP Logged | 5  

I remember the first time I met JB at a con, I saw him walking the aisles and was about to approach him until I saw the "Off Duty" badge and figured I should probably just go see him when he returned to his table. I thought it was pretty clever, I guess some fans don't see it that way.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Cole
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2016 at 1:08pm | IP Logged | 6  

I Always give every creator I meet their diginty and respect because that's how I was raised to treat people.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

marios ksidonas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2016 at 2:04pm | IP Logged | 7  

Here in Greece there is a comic festival that takes place every year and i have witnessed a lot about the interaction between fans/creators.I myself keep wondering were do the creators find such patience with all those things that happen around them!
For me when they are signing is the only time that i find them availiable to give them my comic for signing(usually i pick my favorite and not a pile!)All the other times i might meet them they are like anyone else around me!Human beings!They eat?Do not disturb!!!!You do not want to be disturbed while YOU are having lunch!And so it goes on!
Many times i meet them outside the festival while i am taking a coffe and we might say a few words...I dont mention anything about comics.He is on a break!!!Respect that!There are so many things that you can say(mostly we are talking about there trip, the city Athens  and what they can see of it and how)
Many times i am wondering what indeed are you expecting from a comic book creator to do for you?
About two years ago we had a very famous artist who was doing sketches (and very affordable i can say!).So i decided to get one!Halfway the drawing a guy approached and interupted us wanting to show his artwork to get the artists opininion.Guess:You ask a traditional artist who uses pencil, ink and makes painting covers to tell you his opinion about your .....digital art!!!I couldnt help myself to keep  me from laughing!!!No matter how good you are what do expect him to do???
And another thing about showing artwork...the artist you have in front of you is also a proffetional who also looks for his future deals for work and not the company itself that you wish to work!He cant hire you and he has his own problems to stay in the field!So back off and find the right people for art reviewing!
The industry has changed a lot ...and so has the way of promoting your art!There are so many artists nowdays ...( i recently read that Marvel is not looking for artists!So you can assume how many are on the line for them to work!)
And also is good for the fans who make questions in panels to read some interviews the artist has given in the past!when i hear the phrase "as i have said in the past....".i can imagine the artist (writer penciler ...whatever ) how tiring must be to answer the same questions again and again...
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2016 at 2:49pm | IP Logged | 8  

I have always been somewhat wary of conventions, but a friend once invited
me to one for DARK SHADOWS (a favorite series of mine) back in 1997. Her
father was an organizer for it, so I got to meet some of the stars in a relaxed
setting, which was a bonus.

However, I recall an incident during the Q&A session that reinforced some
of my issues with conventions. A lady -- who fit perhaps every "civilian"
stereotype of a "cult TV fan" -- got up and mentioned how she'd started
rewatching the series from a "different perspective," this time focusing on
the special effects and overall production. She then asked the most
pedantic question about the staging of a scene from a specific episode (out
of the more than 1,000 filmed, by the way).

I suppose I am capable of such pedantry -- all fans are to a degree. I can
recite lines from STAR TREK episodes, but if I met William Shatner, I
wouldn't expect him to recall what he was thinking when he performed the
closing line from "The Alternative Factor." *I* might visit these episodes
frequently, but I am aware that the actors most likely don't.

The cast was more than gracious with her, which is a skill I don't see
praised often enough among the vast majority of creators/actors who
interact with fans. So many of us could never deal with a demanding public
and maintain a consistent professionalism.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2016 at 6:31pm | IP Logged | 9  

I suppose I am capable of such pedantry -- all fans are to a degree. I can 
recite lines from STAR TREK episodes, but if I met William Shatner, I 
wouldn't expect him to recall what he was thinking when he performed the 
closing line from "The Alternative Factor."

I saw it with professional wrestlers being interviewed about their careers. In one interview, a wrestler told the interviewer/fan he was being "redundant". At many points, the interviewer kept asking, "What is your memory of that match and what was the crowd reaction like?" As some wrestlers have stated, they cannot recall every match!

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2016 at 2:54am | IP Logged | 10  

An apropos:
LINK

What the people (and the reporter, apparantly) don't undertand is that Turner is at WORK, and not there to do photo-ops.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2016 at 7:50am | IP Logged | 11  

And another thing about showing artwork...the artist you have in front of you is also a proffetional who also looks for his future deals for work and not the company itself that you wish to work!He cant hire you and he has his own problems to stay in the field!So back off and find the right people for art reviewing!

-----

Plenty of professional comic artists I know are skilled at and enjoy doing portfolio reviews for aspiring artists (assuming it's the right time and place.) It's not unusual at all for someone to ask for a review from an established pro.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 September 2016 at 7:59am | IP Logged | 12  

Portfolio reviews are considered part of the game, tho sometimes they can be painful. Over the years I developed ways of finding SOMETHING good to say about what was placed so earnestly in front of me.

In the early days, you see, I had made the mistake of assuming someone showing me a "portfolio" wanted an honest judgement of same. SO often not the case!

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version