Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: A Thought About Creator/Fan Interactions (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2016 at 3:39am | IP Logged | 1  

Back in the day, the likes of "Stan's Soapbox" was often the first page I turned to in a comic. He was so avuncular and friendly to the readers. He has that reputation as being like that - and I am sure it is well-deserved.

However, with all due respect to him and others, what if Stan Lee had had a forum like this one, with daily interactions, etc? Would there not have perhaps been a time where he might have been having a bad day or got into an argument with someone?

I've read a lot of complaints about comic creators, including our host, from forum users, Twitter users, Facebook users, etc. And yet I'm thinking, isn't it unfair to expect a creator to be 100% happy/polite all of the time? Blimey, I don't see eye-to-eye with my mother 100% of the time so I am bound to have disagreements with comic creators. And yet some fans use it as an excuse to say, "Look at him/her, look at how they interact with fans, look at their grumpiness, etc."

To err is human, eh?

I feel privileged to be on this forum. I also feel privileged to be able to have interactions on social media. Sometimes it's a brief answer to a question or an acknowledgement - late WWF wrestler Roddy Piper retweeted a tweet of mine once - but on this forum, we can interact with our host, we can read his thoughts, we can learn stuff, etc. And we do it for FREE. My god, as a kid, I'd have climbed Everest to have that constant interaction with certain comic creators.

At the same time, it's unrealistic, whether we're talking about comic writers/artists or sports stars, to expect someone to be 100% happy all of the time. Whether it's our host or anyone else, they are all humans. Some days, people can have a bad day, not feel like speaking, etc. And yet time and time again I find some internet users attacking certain people for not being perfect!

In 2016, we are privileged to be able to communicate instantly and daily with certain people, whether they are wrestlers, actors or comic professionals. And yet with a privilege like that, I think it's essential to remember that with daily/regular interaction comes the responsibility to remember that the person you are interacting with isn't perfect and won't necessarily be 100% happy-go-lucky all of the time. If a Stan Lee Forum had existed in the 1960s, I am sure he would have had occasional arguments/disagreements/bad days.

So, on a final note, when I hear things like "This person was grumpy this morning" or "He could have been a bit more humorous with me", I try to remind people that anyone, famous or not, is human. And if you can find a human being who is happy 24/7 and who you never disagree with, well good luck with that!

Any thoughts?
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 September 2016 at 5:40am | IP Logged | 2  

Years ago, a young woman I was dating made what I still consider to be a brilliant observation on this subject. For some fans, she said, reading the comics every month begins to take on, in their minds, the form of a dialog, a back and forth between themselves and the talent. So, on such occasions as they might meet that talent, the fans expect the dialogue to continue.

But for the talent -- the writers, the artists -- whats happening is more in the form of a monologue. The "dialogue" cannot be continued because it doesnt exist.

This can make for bad feelings amongst some fans.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2016 at 6:05am | IP Logged | 3  

Indeed.

I view certain things as "icing on the cake". Do I feel I have a god-given right for this forum, creators' Twitter profiles, etc. to exist? No. I'm glad they do, but I don't feel it's my divine right.

I have witnessed social media 'conversations' such as a fan saying, "When are you going to answer my damn question?" It's the age of expectations, I guess.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 September 2016 at 6:10am | IP Logged | 4  

There are many fans, I have found, who do NOT view personal interaction with the pros as "icing on the cake." They take it as part of what they are paying for when they buy the monthly books. Its a variant on "taxpayer mentality." The whole "Hey, my tax dollars pay your salary!" attitude.

Such people do not grasp that convention appearances, signings, postings online, etc, are something EXTRA the pros are providing -- sometimes even for free!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2016 at 6:29am | IP Logged | 5  

Absolutely! Imperfect though I am, I've always realized that.

I feel the same about anything. KISS release an album and I'll buy it. For my fifteen or twenty quid, I get an album of songs. That's the "contract" and that's what I expect. I don't demand or expect that Gene Simmons will send me a tweet or answer a "shopping list" of questions.

I also feel the same about tweets or Facebook posts. The "contract" there is the person sending tweets. Sure, it's great if they reply to a question I ask - some have done! - but I don't expect it. Same with Facebook. Happy to read their posts, but any responses to my own comments from them are the "icing on the cake".

That's how I try and view it, anyway. I'm not perfect so I daresay that there must have been times in my life where I've slipped into "taxpayer mentality".

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2016 at 7:11am | IP Logged | 6  

I continue to be amazed that a comic legend of JB's stature interacts with us on a daily basis, responding to virtually any civil question. Thank you good sir.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 September 2016 at 8:56am | IP Logged | 7  

…a comic legend of JB's stature…

••

legend |ˈlejənd|

noun

1 a traditional story sometimes popularly regarded as historical but unauthenticated…

Yeah, that fits. . . .

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2016 at 9:34am | IP Logged | 8  

In some cases I look at the interactions I've had with some pros like conversations you might have with a person while standing in line at a grocery story. Once you've payed for your goods you go on with your lives and don't converse again. Unless you find yourself in line again. 

Other in other cases for example like on this forum. I think of my interaction with JB like that I'd have with someone I'd see on a weekly basis at a local comic shop. We have these brief glimpses thru the windows of each other's lives. We don't know everything just certain stuff we choose to share.

Edited by Anthony J Lombardi on 22 September 2016 at 9:35am

Andy Meyers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2016 at 9:35am | IP Logged | 9  

With any interaction I've given a compliment and thanked them for their work. That pretty much ends the conversation because I don't want to sound like Farley on The Chris Farley Show ("remember that time... that was awesome!).

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2016 at 10:36am | IP Logged | 10  

I have had the opportunity to meet some well known artists and writers as well as some celebrities. Most, but not all, have been gracious to me and anyone I have seen them interact with.

Once in awhile I have a bad experience and almost always, it is due ego. I don't mind an artist or writer recounting a good work experience or being proud of the work, but when they compare themselves with others, especially those who are self taught, I get irked and move away as soon as I can.

I think many fans don't consider the fatigue most convention guests experience, from long days of travel, unfamiliar surroundings, poor sleep, sometimes partying and long days greeting and interacting with mostly strangers.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2016 at 10:45am | IP Logged | 11  

I think many fans don't consider the fatigue most convention guests experience, from long days of travel, unfamiliar surroundings, poor sleep, sometimes partying and long days greeting and interacting with mostly strangers.

This is true.

I try to consider that. I cannot imagine sitting there for hours. It's because of that I also try to cover off-topic stuff with them.

I met the late Richard Kiel in 2004 at Memorabilia (Birmingham NEC). He signed his autobiography for me. Then we got chatting about England, the weather, other off-topic stuff, etc. I suppose I didn't want to be predictable and ask things like "What were the metal teeth like to wear?" or "What was it like working with Roger Moore?" Although he was affable and cordial, he may well have heard those questions a million times before, hence my decision to ask about different stuff.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 September 2016 at 11:06am | IP Logged | 12  

The most egregious fan sin, at cons, must surely be the failure to consider the time of day. Asking for "just one more" autograph may not seem excessive to the one doing the asking, but at the end of the day, especially after the show has officially closed, the last thing a pro wants after signing literally hundreds of books is to be confronted with "just one more."

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version