Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: People Want Free Content (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 September 2016 at 4:43pm | IP Logged | 1  

Imagine a storekeeper who sells comics, and takes each issue, scanning full color copies of the cover and every story page(and perhaps the ads, if he feels like it).

Then, the storekeeper gathers all these pages, paper clips them together, and leaves them on a table, with a sign that says 'FREE'. Maybe he'll even put multiple scanned copies of all the issues in an entire series together, and stick them in a binder, also left on a table.

That's basically what downloading comics is. Not stealing originals, but copies(several-generation copies, if they come from the major file-sharing sites).
Back to Top profile | search

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 September 2016 at 5:45pm | IP Logged | 2  

I'm not a fan of downloading comics. I prefer having the book in hand. Even with the back issue books. I'm not supporting the creators of the books because they are older issues. But I'm helping the store owner stay in business. 

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2016 at 12:23am | IP Logged | 3  

Metallica WERE rich,but they`d earned it by constant touring and recordings for which they`d been paid,how does a new group proceed to that level or even survive if their releases are stolen? The downside of this is that new cd`s are relatively cheap,but concert tickets are a LOT dearer as that`s how the major bands earn their money nowadays.When i started attending concerts in the early 80`s a record/cassette cost more or less the same as a concert ticket.
As for comics,i have been told of sites where you can read old and new comics for nothing,but i prefer to pay.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2016 at 5:52am | IP Logged | 4  

It's the same with TV ratings. Imagine if everyone said, "We will watch this or that show on a file sharing site." That show would not do ratings on TV. Which means there's a chance it could get cancelled. And those same fans would complain about the cancellation.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2016 at 6:48am | IP Logged | 5  

Free content is everywhere and there are now a lot of people that have grown up in the digital age where they are used to getting content via YouTube. I even know people that run commercial discos for parties etc, and all they do now is create a YouTube playlist and have that playing through the speakers.

That presents a real problem, because how do you get new content if no one will pay for it? There seems to now be a real disconnect between content and production. this is not helped by terrible distribution. Regional deals, digital not always being available, even if paid for, should you change region/swap computer does not help the crowd that want to do things correctly and pay. I have digital content that I have paid good money for but can no longer use because I swapped my computer (software, Flixster downloads etc). There are times when I am working abroad that I cannot access a service that I have subscribed to because there is a separate distribution deal for that country. Really annoying

For artists then, it seems to have become about finding added value outlets such as concerts. Or cinemas offering enhanced viewing, which unfortunately a lot of the movie going public actually do not want - such as 3D or moving chairs.

We do live in a weird world where some of the most popular 'channels' or people I have never heard of because I don't go to YouTube for my content. But I think that is where it will continue to move in the future - people finding people creating stuff that they love, getting found out and suddenly being able to gain a revenue through advertising/size of audience etc.

As an aside, but slightly related, what the heck is the deal with streaming being included in record charts? It's like saying in the old days the charts would take in to account how many times a record was played on the radio. The stagnation of the charts, songs being at the top for months and a few artists dominating with multiple songs shows, in my mind, the folley of this.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2016 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 6  

I do bristle when online I see people directing others to free download sites for movies.

Theft, pure and simple.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2016 at 1:15pm | IP Logged | 7  

For me, it's also about supporting the ancillary professions. We do live in an interconnected world (and rightly so).

So, actors make films. And creative people, such as costume designers, contribute to that. What else, though? Well, there are cinema staff. There are cleaners who clean the stores. There are drivers who deliver food and drink to those cinemas. In any profession, there's a supply chain.

I doubt cinemas will go bankrupt any time soon. However, if there was ever a time when fewer people were going to cinemas (due to downloading), what happens? Do those cinemas shed staff/cleaners, etc? All things to consider.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2016 at 2:15pm | IP Logged | 8  

`OMG! Great news,i have found `Insert name of latest blockbuster here` click on this link`
If i see this shit on Facebook(usually a comment in the most inappropriate post)i immediately report it,every little helps.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2016 at 2:39pm | IP Logged | 9  

I get particularly angry at people asking for a PDF copy of a novel. Buy the damn book. Or borrow from a library. 

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 27 September 2016 at 7:03pm | IP Logged | 10  

Even if one is disinclined to pay for individual books, CDs, DVDs, etc, there are a wide range of streaming or unlimited usage services for basically everything: movies, TV, music, books, magazines, even comic books I believe. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 September 2016 at 7:23am | IP Logged | 11  

Exactly. I don't subscribe to it as I prefer to pay individually, but Amazon has a monthly subscription where you can download/borrow eBooks. Netflix is good value for money. 

Some people just don't want to pay for anything.

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 September 2016 at 9:00am | IP Logged | 12  

They are still paying. They just don't feel as though they are.  I was a pirate in my younger days. It was easy to get thousands of movies that I would never watch, or thousands of mobi or cbr files I would never read, or thousands of tracks I wouldn't listen to.  I thought I was being cool, and I would show off my collections to friends that came over, and that was about it.  

The time and money wasted, in retrospect, was ridiculous. Besides usenet access, there was the need for storage space, overages on my internet connection, software, etc. But the world and market as has changed. Subscription services provide the same access at a lower cost. Binge habits make it easy to drop in and drop out of a subscription. When my wife and I are ready to watch West World, I would pick up HBO for a month and drop it the next. The market has really made piracy obsolete. More and more are dropping out of the practice. Sure, there are some that will never pay for anything, but they are fast becoming the dinosaur carrying a buggy whip.

My question is, did piracy help to produce the current market practices, or would they exist anyway?

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version