Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: Mystery Packages (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2016 at 6:57am | IP Logged | 1  

To be fair to Eric, whilst he may not have specifically apologised per se, it's fairly obvious that the tone of his response was apologetic in nature and he explained it was his daughters birthday that day and he was busy.

Hope your daughter had a nice 10th Birthday Eric.

Back to Top profile | search

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2016 at 7:18am | IP Logged | 2  

Everyone, obviously this gift went off the rails for me and did not have the intended or anticipated result. I'll be performing a bit of due diligence on my end before sending JB a private response. I had only the best intentions and the recommendations of many people who had enjoyed these mystery experiences via the mail. For myself, I am noticeably down and depressed. I had hoped to give a man whose work and ideas I respect and admire a truly unique gift. Unfortunately for me, it exploded soundly in my face. It feels like one of my parents has told me how disappointed they are in me. I appreciate everyone's opinions on both sides of the issue, but I won't be commenting publicly on my gift gone wrong.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 October 2016 at 7:22am | IP Logged | 3  

To be fair to Eric, whilst he may not have specifically apologised per se, it's fairly obvious that the tone of his response was apologetic in nature and he explained it was his daughters birthday that day and he was busy.

••

Not too busy to type...

"So this was from me as a birthday present. JB's birthday is close to my wife's and I got one for her. I have talked with others about how hard it might be to find a unique gift for JB and thought this would be interesting. I guess that backfired and lesson learned. The Mysterious Package company is a Canadian company that sends mysteries through the mail much like loot crate or other mail order gift companies. But their mailings are more interactive and thought provoking than simply a box full of similarly themed toys. Videos on YouTube show what people typically receive. I get their quarterly mailing with knick knacks and a year long mystery to follow and solve online with the member community.

"I hope my conduct on the JBF and in person count for the intended spirit of the gift and no ill will is taken permanently. I had the best intentions. I would say more, but my daughter is celebrating her 10th birthday and I have much to do for preparation. Again, this was a gift with good intentions that due to it's nature backfired."

...but too busy to include "I'm sorry"?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 October 2016 at 7:23am | IP Logged | 4  

Everyone, obviously this gift went off the rails for me and did not have the intended or anticipated result. I'll be performing a bit of due diligence on my end before sending JB a private response. I had only the best intentions and the recommendations of many people who had enjoyed these mystery experiences via the mail. For myself, I am noticeably down and depressed. I had hoped to give a man whose work and ideas I respect and admire a truly unique gift. Unfortunately for me, it exploded soundly in my face. It feels like one of my parents has told me how disappointed they are in me. I appreciate everyone's opinions on both sides of the issue, but I won't be commenting publicly on my gift gone wrong.

••

But still no apology.

Lee Mayor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2016 at 7:38am | IP Logged | 5  

John,

Seriously? they guy is obviously upset that what he intended to be a nice surprise has gone wrong, you are clearly an idol of his and he has explained he intends to send you a private message to apologise. I am sure that if he realised you wanted the apology to made made publicly he would have done so.

He more than likely spent yesterday fretting about what had happened when he should have been focusing on celebrating his daughters birthday.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2016 at 8:00am | IP Logged | 6  

I something like this were to happen to me, I think I would be upset also, even with the best of intentions. And I don't have a throng of trolls out there on the net doing things like daily dedicating time to bash me online, or have a creepy online "fan" that watches every little thing I post online multiple times a day then immediately reposts it to their twitter feed without permission so that said trolls can have more bashing fodder (yes, really). So if I did, I would surely not be happy with my home address being given out to a third party.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 October 2016 at 8:04am | IP Logged | 7  

Seriously?

••

Yes. It's called common courtesy. Which would have prevent this from even happening, if a little thought had been given.

++

they guy is obviously upset that what he intended to be a nice surprise has gone wrong, you are clearly an idol of his and he has explained he intends to send you a private message to apologise. I am sure that if he realised you wanted the apology to made made publicly he would have done so.

••

Again, it was his choice to "go public" with this. I named no names. I certainly did not expect him to "out" himself. What is served by that? Other than, based on what we have seen, a lot of "Poor Me" from the guilty party.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 October 2016 at 8:05am | IP Logged | 8  

I something like this were to happen to me, I think I would be upset also, even with the best of intentions. And I don't have a throng of trolls out there on the net doing things like daily dedicating time to bash me online, or have a creepy online "fan" that watches every little thing I post online multiple times a day then immediately reposts it to their twitter feed without permission so that said trolls can have more bashing fodder (yes, really). So if I did, I would surely not be happy with my home address being given out to a third party.

••

Exactly.

Laren Farmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2016 at 8:09am | IP Logged | 9  

This whole situation is unfortunate, but let's not question JB's reaction. 

HE is the wronged party.  His trust was violated. 

Do I think Eric had the best of intentions...yes.  Do I think he feels horrible about it...yes.  Do I hope this matter will resolve itself in a way that is best for everyone...absolutely.

But I can't stand it when people tell a wronged party how they should feel about the person who did something wrong to them.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2016 at 8:20am | IP Logged | 10  

Sorry about the `Joe` response,i was on my phone and in haste referred to a more recent post in which the name was used,i just didn`t register that it was wrong.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2016 at 9:23am | IP Logged | 11  

Whatever respect Eric gained from me in terms of taking ownership of this is immediately lost when he fails to issue any type of apology.  It's made even worse when a second comment is posted as an attempt to explain it away....

The only person I know personally on this board is Brad Brickley.  And there is no way I'd send him mysterious packages like that, even if I thought he might enjoy it.  There are some boundaries that should not be crossed, no matter how well you know someone.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2016 at 9:45am | IP Logged | 12  

The only person I know personally on this board is Brad Brickley.  And there is no way I'd send him mysterious packages like that, even if I thought he might enjoy it.  There are some boundaries that should not be crossed, no matter how well you know someone.

Nor would I.

There are plenty of avenues to do something and keep it a surprise, either by signing up yourself or letting a person know. That chocolate company (wish I could remember the name) do a good job with that, but there's no mystery involved. Sign up or let someone else know.

Eric aside, some institution needs to look into this business model. The UK can go overboard at times on privacy, but I can't imagine some of our civil liberties organizations allowing that (I could be wrong). It's an awful business model which must have led to much anxiety, many misunderstandings and the like. 

I imagine much time-wasting, too. If I'd received stuff, and putting aside anxiety, my first thought would have been, 'Have they sent this to the wrong address?' 'Should I contact the courier?' 'Is there someone else waiting for this parcel?' 'Did my own order get mixed up and sent elsewhere?' It's not a good use of time! 

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version