Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Dr. Who
Byrne Robotics > Dr. Who << Prev Page of 3
Topic: The Return of Doctor Mysterio Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2016 at 2:33pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Finally watched it.  Pretty light and fluffy like the other Christmas Specials.

Capaldi was a bit bland in it.  I did immediately start scanning all the comic artwork for JB, and was really happy to see the closeups of that Superman comic.  I also liked how there were comics from both companies present.

It was also nice that New York was the invasion site for once.  Not really much to say about it though.  Doesn't seem like something I'd watch again.  I thought for sure he was mourning Clara and not River.  Bleah.

Back to Top profile | search

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2017 at 9:46am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Watched it.  Surprisingly straightforward, no dreams within a dream, or rewriting someone's past, the only nonlinear storytelling bit was a simple flashback.

The "if Superman wore glasses he'd look like Clark Kent" bit probably played on Vaudeville, but I still find it funny.

I also thought he was mourning Clara, but I guess River was the more recent, and at least he's taking the advice of not being alone.  Also the "Christmas Tree" he built on the roof was to help fix the time eddies around NYC, so there was a nod to the Ponds, too.  I don't want to be watching for Moffat to be saying goodbye to his tics and tropes, but there was a fun capper here:

"That was the Doctor."
"Doctor?  Doctor who?"
"Doctor Mysterio!"

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 03 January 2017 at 10:02am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Anyone sitting at the helm of DOCTOR WHO should think long and hard before questioning the tropes of any other examples of fantasy fiction.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2017 at 5:40pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

From the point of view of an alien, unfamiliar with comic books and their characters, it "kinda sorta" works..although it emphasizes the 'elderly, absent-minded' side of the Doctor that I haven't really missed. 
The pop-culture fanatical Tennant and Smith incarnations would have been geeking out about meeting Stan Lee, not playing 'somebody's grandpa trying to figure out what kids are into these days'.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version