Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Supergirl Season 2 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2016 at 2:59am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

My father enjoys the show. I find it frustratingly stupid. I like the actors cast as Supergirl and The Martian Manhunter and Lena Luther. That is where it ends. I'll watch it if there is nothing else on but it is definitely not must see tv. 
Back to Top profile | search

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 November 2016 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Supergirl continues to be a supporting character on her own show. The James/Guardian stuff isn't working, and Mon-El's 'endearing' confusion with modern pop culture idioms is not all that and a paper receptacle containing fried tuber fragments. 
"Here on Earth, we say 'All that and a bag of chips." 
Oh, right.
Oh, and the Alex and Maggie thing? Make a fist, either way. Are they a couple? Are they friends? Are they just going to keep 'having a "Still friends"  moment' every week?

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2016 at 9:03pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Why would Henshaw call himself Cyborg Superman?

Brandon Scott Berthelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2016 at 3:38am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Could be because of his hatred of aliens he considers
himself a true Super Man now that he is a cyborg.

But having to jump through hoops to have a reason is not
so great. I would think just calling him The Cyborg
would be best but then you have Cyborg of Justice
League.

Byron Graham
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2016 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Henshaw declaring, "I am Cyborg Superman!" was cringeworthy. Like Brian suggested, there's no justification to use that name. But like Brandon, I twisted it into Henshaw saying "super man" just so it would make a modicum of sense.

I'm really liking Chris Wood as Mon-El and Katie McGrath as Lena Luthor.

I don't miss Cat Grant. And I still don't like James Olsen.
Back to Top profile | search | email

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2016 at 10:10am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

It doesn't make sense. There's no reason at all for him to call himself that. 

Kinda missing Cat. 
Really like Mon-El. 
Not really liking Winn this season. I guess every series needs a Cisco/Felicity character?
Ready for James Olsen to die. Why does EVERYONE need to become a superhero?  

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2016 at 3:25pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Everyone with at least one dead parent. Two if they really want to be 'driven' and bad-ass about it. Except Kara and Barry Allen are allowed to have a sense of humor. Oliver Queen could have one, and does every dozen episodes or so, but he apparently has a stick(arrow) lodged in his...funnybone. Forget about the GOTHAM version of Bruce Wayne ever smiling.

Edited by Brian O'Neill on 03 December 2016 at 3:28pm

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2016 at 2:01pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Henshaw declaring, "I am Cyborg Superman!" was cringeworthy.
--

The worst moment in a season full of bad moments. It's like they're rushing through fan service index and checking the boxes without giving any thought to context.

Brandon Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2016 at 10:11pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I can't help but wonder if James/Guardian and his new sidekick Winn are being groomed for their own spin-off series. 

Edited by Brandon Frye on 04 December 2016 at 10:11pm

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2016 at 5:47am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I'm not sure they're getting their own spin-off series quite as much as they might get a "mini-series inside the series" try out. I am meaning three or four episodes where Supergirl is incidental to the story and the mini-arc focuses on Guardian and Winn.

Crap, it would be a god damn sight better than "winter hiatus." WHAT THE HELL IS WINTER HIATUS? Besides something I loathe with the passion of a thousand burning suns.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2016 at 2:40pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

It sounds better than 'We're showing reruns in December so we can hype new episodes even more by creating anticipation.'

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2016 at 10:39am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Why would Henshaw call himself Cyborg Superman?

When they took Supergirl's blood to access the Fortress, I thought they had some kind of Kryptonian enhancement for Henshaw in mind. Which would have at least have made the Cyborg Superman thing make a little sense, even if only anticipatory, at first.

I guess not, though.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2017 at 3:32am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Not one of their better episodes. Can Alex and Maggie 'move on' to having conversations that aren't fraught with subtext, tension, and awkwardness, with their relationship hanging on every word?(Not a spoiler, because this describes every conversation they've had since they became a couple).

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2017 at 9:19am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

I'm quickly tiring of the need of every character on the show wanting to be a superhero. First, Winn goes from computer genius (Felicity) to expert engineer/ builder (Sisco) and now seems to be an amalgamation of the two. Now, he's going on adventures with them. At least Jimmy/Guardian only showed up in one scene.

If things don't improve on this from and the whole Alex/Maggie relationship as Mr. O'Neill described above, I'm dropping it. Really, the only thing keeping me aboard right now is just how great Benoist plays Supergirl. She is absolute perfection in the role.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2017 at 9:27am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Not a spoiler, because this describes every conversation they've had
since they became a couple.

------

They became a couple at the end of the last episode, so this episode
contains all the conversations they've had as a couple.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2017 at 7:56pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Fine. "Every conversation since they met."

I didn't mind Wynn wanting to be a hero, but the overall story was iffy.
Bring back Kryptonian villains.

Edited by Brian O'Neill on 25 January 2017 at 8:00pm

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2017 at 9:37pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Wynn had on what looked to be a Captain America shirt. 

Edited by Brian Miller on 26 January 2017 at 9:57am

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2017 at 9:52pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

"NOT a red shirt!"

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2017 at 1:30am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Alex was cool as a tough badass. I can't stand her as a soft girly-girl. At least make her tough all the time. I don't think a woman who fights as a covert ops agent would be intimidated by a relationship.

I can't stand the pop cultural dialogue they give Mon-El. Good grief, who writes that and thinks it works?

Clearly they want to build up Team Supergirl since the team approach has worked ok on Green Arrow and Flash. I don't mind that so much, but I'm just pissed at how fast characters go from zero to hero. James stated he had a black belt, not skill worthy of a master martial artists or green beret.

I agree they are still trying to find who Winn is. He has major identity issues right now.

And what the hell happened with Jeremiah? Wasn't he just rediscovered alive and then completely written out? No closure to his surviving?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2017 at 8:35pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Jeremiah was last seen in the episode that aired just before Thanksgiving. Apparently, they want to drag out his story, as he was presumably recaptured after he volunteered to stay behind so Kara and Mon-El could escape. 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2017 at 12:53am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

I love how they find interesting ways to have J'onn not do squat. He shouldn't have been left out of the crossover event.

But I hate the whole James/Guardian thing. James is boring, and the Guardian costume (especially the helmet) is awful. James should have been a brand new character, not Jimmy Olsen race-changed and aged.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2017 at 6:22am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

ITEM: I'm done being interested with the lesbian love scenes and dialogue... and wow, I couldn't imagine writing THOSE words! Yes, I know it's a lead supporting character, but I don't want there to be any surprises from this relationship (Is Maggie a Durlan who's seducing Alex to get closer to Supergirl?) I ESPECIALLY have no interest in basically two police/high-stress characters who find difficulty in a relationship. Yeah, put it on at 2:00 in the afternoon with the other soap operas already.

ITEM: Mon-El - indecisive characters aren't so interesting to me. I need a direction for him. I like his potential... I don't know if I like the underlying secret. Mon-El is really a Daxamite prince and slave owner? Facts seem to be pointing that way... I guess we need more development, but I'm too conflicted with my memories of Legion stories.

ITEM: Mon-El and Guardian would really make a cool team. THAT'S your World's Finest, I think... not quite Superman and Batman, but still a nifty pairing. I doubt they'll go that way, mind you...

ITEM: Crossovers. For "Invasion", I don't have much problem leaving J'onn, Mon-El, and Superman out of it. Barry came for Kara's help, and why would she ask for further help? Turns out she was right....

But when that turns around and occurs on Earth-S (for Super... clever, huh? :), how do you keep them out of it? And let's be honest - if you've got J'onn and Superman, do you really need Heat Wave, Sentinel, or Speedy? It was hard enough for the first crossover... when it's on their own world, how do you keep those heroes away from a crisis?

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2017 at 2:31pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

I'm just finding Alex and Maggie too overemotionally whiny, with all the 'Ohhh, NOOO, you're mad/sad. you never want to see me again, so I'll go...but we can still be friends' drivel.
If they did 'talk shop' more often, then...I guess they'd be the milennial version of what people who never actually watched CAGNEY & LACEY used to think that show was about...

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2017 at 2:46pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

I like Melissa Benoist and  David Harewood. I don't care for the rest of the cast. I find the show to be so uninteresting.  It isn't must see tv for me but I tune in hoping it will improve.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2017 at 4:24pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

I like those two and Jeremy Jordan.

The whole Alex-Maggie thing irks me, but its mainly because of the way its written and that I can't get past they got the casting so wrong.

If GOTHAM ends and the CW somehow gets a Bat-related show, I want a blonde Renee Montoya. Maybe have explain that she's bi and Montoya was her dead husband's last name.

(But only if there's an episode where she confronts her husband's killer and says `My name is Renee Montoya. You killed my husband. Prepare to die.')

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version