Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Wars
Byrne Robotics > Star Wars << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Did Anyone Pick Up Marvel Comics’ Star Wars #1 At The Time? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 December 2016 at 7:40am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Yes, I know, James, but the debate has become relevant after the Special Editions, where Greedo also shoots.
Back to Top profile | search

Jason Larouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 December 2016 at 2:40pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

My favorite thing about the original adaptation is that Vader chokes the imperial guy from the beginning while having a cup of coffee

How he drinks it, nobody knows!

Edited by Jason Larouse on 20 December 2016 at 2:40pm

Warren Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2017 at 8:13pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Robbie, if you're still "listening," I don't remember seeing the first issues of Star Wars or the treasury editions for sale, though I saw ads for the treasury editions in other comics, but I did have Star Wars 4, 5 and 6.
For those who don't know, the movie was divided into six parts for the first six issues of the ongoing Marvel comic. There were two treasuries that included the first three parts and the last three parts, respectively, and another that collected all six.
I did have Star Wars 4, 5 and 6. My parents bought them as a set in a sealed bag sold by Whitman (The Whitman company also sold other Marvel and DC comics this way. As a kid I got another bagged set that included several Marvel issues and it was kind of a treat to get this "sampler.")
The 1982 edition mentioned by someone else wasn't a treasury edition because it wasn't tabloid size. It was double-size in page count, containing the first three parts. I have that, too, and had hoped to buy the second issue and use the two as reading copies, but I missed it. It's actually probably more valuable than my copies of Star Wars 4, 5 and 6, which were well read and not bagged and boarded in my pre-collector days.
As others said, the big appeal of these adaptations then was that films weren't readily available on video and wouldn't be seen on television for a few years. I didn't know of anyone who had HBO at the time. If you didn't have the means (money or willing parents) to see the movie again, the comic, novel, trading cards and a story record (with actual dialogue, sound effects and music from the film) were your "Star Wars" fix.

Warren Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2017 at 8:35pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

One more entry and then I'll shut up. I feel the need to add my two cents in the ongoing debate over that scene with Greedo.
The dialogue subtly reveals what's really going on. Greedo tells Han Jabba has put a price on Han's head because Han owes him money. Han begs off, saying he has the money (which we might assume is what he expects to be paid by Ben Kenobi). Greedo tells him it's too late, that Jabba is through with him because Han lost one of his shipments to Imperial forces, which Han says wasn't his fault.
Greedo says he can make his case to Jabba and he may "only take your ship." Han replies, "Over my dead body!" Greedo retorts, "That's the idea. I've been looking forward to this (in other words, killing Han) for a long time." Han responds, "Yes, I'll bet you have" before shooting Greedo.
So Greedo intends to kill Han and Han knows it. It may happen right there in the Cantina. Remember, Ben just slashed two patrons with hardly a second look from the clientele. I feel the Cantina scene was very much inspired by westerns and their sense of a lawless frontier.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version