Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 444 Next >>
Topic: Acting Presidential Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2017 at 2:38pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

QUOTE:
There is no such thing as a safe space in real life. Trump and Republicans are not evil, Democrats are not Angels. Both parties are very flawed and unyielding in rhetoric,

Argumentum ad temperantiam is boring.

QUOTE:
I am no Trump fan but I will not demonize every thing he says and does to fit a narrative.

But you'll minimize what he does say to appear that you are looking at the issues "logically".

At the very least, Trump's tweets do nothing to fix the perception that he feels that Americans of Latin descent aren't welcome in this country, demoralize victims and those providing aid, and might discourage his supporters to provide financial aid to Maria victims. If you don't see that as problematic, maybe you need to add a little more empathy to your logical reasoning.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2017 at 2:55pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/22046933_70466 3479729903_2269533476753862155_n.jpg?oh=cf74f633ec2528f5ff07 ef9a02f88ca6&oe=5A477B4F

I love Jon Favreau.

Michael Sommerville
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2017 at 3:59pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Being on that phone is getting things done. Maybe she could have got the aid moving faster if she was doing her job instead of wading in sewage. That is her job. Search and rescue is a job for others.

I don't minimize what he says. The majority of the tweets that get air play are usually moronic and not politically correct. Breaking new, he is a loudmouth and a braggart. The boring or ones that are not controversial nobody discusses.

I agree Trump can come across as divisive. His detractors always use that as an excuse to attack his voters and supporter. It seems to me the people do not need him to divide you. Each side looks to the extreme of the other and calls it the core. McCarthyism seems alive and well, but instead of the Red Menace it is the evil Alt-right.

Personally, I think social media is just an accumulation of people wanting to boost their self importance. Actors, musicians and other artists are masters of it. Trump just takes it one small step further.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2017 at 4:10pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Being on that phone is getting things done. Maybe she could have got the aid moving faster if she was doing her job instead of wading in sewage. That is her job. Search and rescue is a job for others.

Yes, it's her fault, then. Okay, got it. And being out there on the ground is absolutely of no use. Glad that was explained to me.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2017 at 5:02pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Do I demonize Trump? NO... he does a damn good job on his own.

Michael, until you are in HER SHOES facing the tragedy and wreckage she is faced with... which hasn't been seen in Puerto Rico in decades, you should be careful about how you respond. A general Trump sent to PR said exactly what the mayor said -- there is not enough manpower and supplies to tackle the level of devastation. Sounds to me like you're trying to defend Trump's tweets attacking the mayor, who is seen trying hard to save lives, which in my eyes is unforgivable. (I'll not address your comments anymore; you're entitled to your opinion.)

-C!

Edited by Charles Valderrama on 01 October 2017 at 6:38pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Sommerville
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2017 at 6:51pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I was not assigning fault or defending any tweets. I did say the majority of Trump's tweets were moronic. I was just wondering if that was the best use of her time. I think the photo ops of Presidents in distribution centers are not productive also. It seems that co-ordination was and is an issue. I see no malice or what ever " ism " where others want to assign it in the government response to the situation.

Charles, thank you for understanding that it is all opinion. I enjoy reading what others say and comment when I agree or disagree. If we do not listen and challenge each other we stagnate. I would never hide from a differing opinion, I am always open to being persuaded by a good argument I may play a bit of a Devil's Advocate but that is what makes discussions interesting. If everyone agreed it would boring in my opinion.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2017 at 10:55pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

"Devil's advocating" = "I know this is a completely unnecessary 'side' to an issue that shouldn't have this side, but for rhetoric's sake, suppose it does, and suppose further that  your opinion sucks. Having established that, how much less stupid is the following scenario..."

Michael Sommerville
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2017 at 6:42am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Wow, that definitely is not the definition of Devils Advocate I have ever seen, but thank you for showing openness to differing opinions. Every issue has sides, some we agree with some we do not. The world is shades of grey, not black and white.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2017 at 6:48am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

There are no shades of grey with regards to 45 tweeting insults to people or having a narcissistic personality. 

Is it really right for a guy to be tweeting insults all of the time? Where's the shade of grey in the covfefe tweet? I'd have had respect for him if he'd admitted it was a typo. And moved on. But no, we get crap such as "Good luck if you can work out what covfefe" means - and his sycophants defended it.

A guy who feels the need to lie about a typo (it's fine to make typos!) is insulting our intelligence and cannot be trusted to be honest about anything else. Any previous president would have been self-deprecating and acknowledged it was a typo; but, no, the man with the ego, who can never be wrong or show humility, had to make out it was a 'secret word' and he was making a point.

All I know is that "due to negative press covfefe" sounds a hell of a lot like "due to negative press coverage"...

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2017 at 6:56am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

So what does it say that the world went nuts over a typo before the White House came back with their reponse?

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2017 at 7:01am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I didn't go nuts. I was amused. And didn't hold it against him.

But when he came back with his crap about it being a word, and having a meaning, I thought. 'This is an egomaniac who can't even take ownership of a typo. If he can't take ownership of a typo, what mistake will he ever take ownership of?'

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2017 at 7:54am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I was amused, too. I woke up, turned on the news, and the CBS Morning News had a breaking overnight story about a tweet containing the word "covfefe".
Then, as I strated flipping channels, every newscast from every major network was leading with a story about an overnight tweet with the word "covfefe".
And every network was breathlessly awaiting word from the White House about what the word meant. Some were coming up with what it could have meant, others surmissed that it was a typo, but kept right on with the 'breaking' nature of the report.

My amusement faded into disgust. This is what our media had turned into. At that point, I didn't care what covfefe meant, or was supposed to mean. I didn't care if Trump had made a typo. All I could see at that point was a media so honed in on one. little. thing. that meant nothing in the grand scope of things.

That it even required, or that that same media demanded a press conference to explain what 'covfefe' meant... even a complete bullshit answer about what it meant... absolutely flabergasted me.

<< Prev Page of 444 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version