Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 444 Next >>
Topic: Acting Presidential Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2017 at 6:38am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I hope whomever is running on the Democratic ticket in 2020 brings some paper towels with them to all the debates and gives it him.
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Sommerville
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2017 at 12:46pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

A question on the Russian investigation. What other than hacking emails was an illegal act? I am a bit confused about the social media being a part of the investigation. Is not social media just the twenty-first century equivalent of handing out propaganda fliers. I assume there is no real regulation about what can or can not be done on those platforms, it is all the whim of the controllers of the companies. 

I am sure every Government has a room or more of people spreading their best interests on social media through bots and bullshit. Trying to influence elections is an old past time of the American government. I am sure legal and illegal opposition to a unfriendly leader has been done more times that we know.

What is the focus of these investigations? Is it illegal or immoral actions. Was there really any influence since reporting, from early on said, Russian was trying to influence the election.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2017 at 2:09pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Michael S. - I think the illegal part would have been about the Republican party cooperating with, and getting aid and assistance from a foreign power to influence the outcome of a national election. I believe that's a felony, but I'm not exactly sure of my phrasing - I'm not a law scholar.

The focus of the investigations - again, to my understanding - is establishing an incontrovertible chain of evidence linking the Trump campaign, and the Republican party, to the Russian government and its agents, so that a trial can be convened (perhaps a grand jury?) - a fair and unbiased trial as promised by the Sixth Amendment.

"...legal and illegal opposition to a unfriendly leader has been done more times that we know." Perhaps so, but we aren't trying to sink to the lowest possible level that we can. Just because it's been done doesn't make it right. The U.S. government has failed its citizens on such matters in the past - I'm minded to think of internment camps as just one example - but we have to try to be better. Trump does not aspire to such noble goals, of course, but some Americans - I'll even dare to state that MOST Americans - want to go the high road. Following our laws, adhering to the Constitution, all that fun and good stuff that we have in place.

Michael Sommerville
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2017 at 4:18pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I think law scholars are having problems defining what exact charge, if any. I can understand on the hacking, cooperating or requesting it done,   and asking for intel on political opponents being a felony. If a foreign Government gave unsolicited information would that be collusion or would it depend on if it was used or not? Would cooperating on fake social media posts get the same traction in regards to a crime being committed? 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2017 at 4:55pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I think law scholars are having problems defining what exact charge, if any.

-----

Well yes, because the investigation is not over. There will be less ambiguity once the investigation has been completed. 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2017 at 6:08pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

If a foreign Government gave unsolicited information would that be collusion or would it depend on if it was used or not?
---------------------------------------------------
Trump Jr sending an email saying "if it's what you say I love it" and then arranging a meeting blows out of the water any idea that information was unsolicited.

Rather than collusion, there is a strong suggestion this could be conspiracy to break a federal law. Federal law prohibits any foreign national from making "a contribution or donation or other thing of value or to make an express or implied promise to make a contribution or donation in connection with a Federal, State or local election" and furthermore it is an offence to "solicit, accept or receive" that contribution, donation.

So to go after President Trump, they'd need to be able to do three things, I think :

1. Prove he had knowledge/approval of Donald Trump Jr's actions
2. Prove Donald Trump Jr knew it was a foreign national who had promised to provide dirt on Hillary
3. Argue that dirt on Hillary fits the description of an "other thing of value" that the federal law prohibits as a contribution from a foreign national.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 04 October 2017 at 11:19pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Michael Sommerville wrote:
What is the focus of these investigations? Is it illegal or immoral actions. Was there really any influence since reporting, from early on said, Russian was trying to influence the election.

I'm going to assume you know how law works.  Cast a wide net and then tighten it in order to see what is caught and what slips through.  Using the same analogy, you don't know what the focus is until you cast the net and you don't know what you're going to get until you reel it in.  Asking what the "end goal" is right now is absolutely premature.  It's a long process.  It's a ton of work.  It's a jigsaw puzzle with a billion pieces.  Don't assume they're going to have the answers in an easily digestible form mere months after they started.  The Watergate investigation took years.  You'll get your answers in due time.

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2017 at 1:02pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

In addition to charges related to collusion with Russia, it's also possible Trump could be charged with obstruction of justice, either for his firing of Richard Comey or any other potential efforts to impede the investigation which might be discovered.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2017 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Trump wants to shut down all news stations that are critical of him.

Here comes the fascism!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2017 at 1:39pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Jeez, get that guy out (legally, I mean). Detestable. 

Does he not realize that's how many dictatorships started?

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2017 at 1:54pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I can’t get that link to work, but this is pretty much going exactly how I said it would go.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2017 at 3:18pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Trump wants to shut down all news stations that are critical of him.

Someone needs to SHUT HIM DOWN!!!

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 444 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version