Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 444 Next >>
Topic: Acting Presidential Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2019 at 3:59pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

But Melania has made the world better for ALL children. 
Back to Top profile | search

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2019 at 4:10pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Charles Valderrama wrote:
Get these poor children into a safe place; whatever it takes.

These children are already in a safe place - out of the womb and out of reach of those horrible abortionist baby killers. What happens to them after they're born - whether they suffer, live or die - is somebody else's problem.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2019 at 9:05am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I don't care what they call these children centers - concentration camps, internment camps, or death camps* - but I'm horrified by the fact that so many citizens of the United States are willing to stand by and accept their existence.

*Don't tell me that no children have gotten sick and/or died in these centers. Simple math says that it had to happen. And maybe that would make people sit up and take notice.

Worse is the situation during a war. Many people may have forgotten that we are still fighting a war in Afghanistan. Trump has an election coming up... I am horrified by the possibility that to keep his numbers up (not as if they're particularly good right now) if he won't start that war in Iran, and if he won't use nuclear weapons to ensure that he keeps popular. With John Bolton speaking nonsense in 45's ear.... I live in great horror. He's too stupid to NOT take desperate action.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2019 at 10:48am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Only in America? Is there any other country that has a similar way of dealing with immigrants? I know that there is a crisis in Europe with people fleeing North Africa, but are any other countries separating children from their parents in order to neglect them so horribly?

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2019 at 2:53pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

QUOTE:
Girl, age 15
“I started taking care of [name redacted, age five] in the Ice Box after they separated her from her father. I did not know either of them before that. She was very upset. The workers did nothing to try to comfort her. I tried to comfort her and she has been with me ever since. [Redacted] sleeps on a mat with me on the concrete floor. We spend all day every day in that room. There are no activities, only crying.”

QUOTE:
Boy, age 8
“They took us away from our grandmother and now we are all alone. They have not given us to our mother. We have been here for a long time. I have to take care of my little sister. She is very sad because she misses our mother and grandmother very much… We sleep on a cement bench. There are two mats in the room, but the big kids sleep on the mats so we have to sleep on the cement bench.”

QUOTE:
Boy, age 12
“I’m hungry here at Clint all the time. I’m so hungry that I have woken up in the middle of the night with hunger. Sometimes I wake up from hunger at 4 a.m., sometimes at other hours. I’m too scared to ask the officials here for any more food, even though there is not enough food here for me.”

QUOTE:
Girl, age 16
“The day after we arrived here, my baby began vomiting and having diarrhea. I asked to see a doctor and they did not take us. I asked again the next day and the guard said ‘She doesn’t have the face of a sick baby. She doesn’t need to see a doctor.’ My baby daughter has not had medicine since we first arrived. She has a very bad cough, fever and continues to vomit and have diarrhea.”

QUOTE:
Girl, age 17
“I was given a blanket and a mattress, but then, at 3 a.m., the guards took the blanket and mattress. My baby was left sleeping on the floor. In fact, almost every night, the guards wake us at 3 a.m. and take away our sleeping mattresses and blankets. They leave babies, even little babies of two or three months, sleeping on the cold floor. For me, because I am so pregnant, sleeping on the floor is very painful for my back and hips. I think the guards act this way to punish us.”

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2019 at 6:25pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

It's amazing how Obama has done all this two and a half years after leaving office isn't it?

Trump blames Obama story, USA Today:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/06/23/trum p-falsely-says-obama-started-family-separation/1540733001/

A year or so ago I thought a few hysterical people were exaggerating. This really is fubar. This really is the USA today :^(
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2019 at 8:31pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Eric Ladd wrote:
Only in America? Is there any other country that has a similar way of dealing with immigrants?

There are, and even here in Australia, illegal immigrants are sent offshore where they stay in indefinite detention, and frequently riot, self-harm or even immolate themselves out of despair.

Being objective for a minute, the sad reality is that you can't just let anyone into a country just because they're "seeking refuge". Many years of effort and many tax dollars from legitimate citizens has gone into creating the institutions and infrastructure in an advanced country. There is a genuine issue of imbalance if 'free riders' can enter and benefit from these without contributing, or being able to contribute in the future, or worse, will detract from it by being criminals or welfare cases.

So this is a complex problem which won't get resolved by pretending we can let everyone in.

But equally, there is something extremely odious about people like Trump and his supporters who basically want a White Christian Migrants Only policy in everything but name, who piously promote the sanctity of life but act otherwise, and who offer absolutely nothing in the way of a practical method of sorting out beneficial, honest immigrants from the dangerous or parasitic ones - just racism, hostility, walls, and cages.

So while my heart doesn't necessarily bleed, my head does explode when I hear and see this sort of barbaric stupidity from the "pro-life" Republicans, many of whom also benefit economically from the cheap labour that these migrants have given America over the years (not to mention, cheap labour abroad).

Edited by Koroush Ghazi on 27 June 2019 at 8:34pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2019 at 9:57pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

This Snopes story, and the official Trump poll that it reports on, made me chuckle: LINK

Sample question:

Who do you believe is more transparent with the American People?

Option 1: President Trump
Option 2: A Lying Democrat

Clearly a survey carefully constructed to harvest unbiased data. I also like that it even mimics Trump's idiosyncratic use of capitalisation.

Edited by Peter Martin on 07 July 2019 at 9:58pm

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2019 at 10:18pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

He *does* lie more transparently.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2019 at 1:54am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I think the leaked memos of Sir Kim Darroch's assessment of Trump and his cabinet sum everything up nicely.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2019 at 9:07am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Not sure if anyone saw this article over the weekend or not:  LINK

Honestly, it's not all that shocking, which, in and of itself, is shocking.  We're becoming numb to the the dumb.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2019 at 10:28am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

As Mr. Brown noted... it bothers the hell out of me that we are becoming accustomed to the leader of the free world making such inane, insane, and stupid utterances. Worse... he doesn't seem to realize that he is the president of the United States, and has a dire responsibility to weigh his every word and comment.

That sounds tough? That IS tough. That's why it's a little harder then postmaster of Poughkeepsie (with no insult intended to that postmaster.) President of the United States bears a horribly difficult responsibility, and it's not for the stupid or ignorant.

<< Prev Page of 444 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version