Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 444 Next >>
Topic: Acting Presidential Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2017 at 1:00am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Every one of Trump's comments regarding the judge and safety of people should be directed at gun control. Then I would agree with him.

Well, actually, I wouldn't. Because he's attacking a judge that is applying the law while he is trying to pretend the law doesn't exist. Which I guess is how he runs his business. Only now, it's all in the open.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2017 at 1:44am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The evidence is mounting that Trump is functionally illiterate.   And I have no doubt of it.  

There is video of a deposition he gave for a lawsuit.  In it, he rather lamely refuses to read a paragraph of a legal document when asked by the opposing counsel.   His own lawyers can be heard off camera objecting to this simple request.    In the video he has the look of a nervous child in grade school who has just been called upo by the teacher.   He says he can't read the passage because he doesn't have his glasses.   

Did we really just elect a man who honestly can''t read or write at an acceptable adult level?   It explains so much of what we have heard about him over the years.  It's not impossible.  Trump has been rich his entire life. It's not impossible for his money to have enabled him to skate through schools.  Many adults with far lesser means have made it out of school and into the workforce while reading at a grade school level.    

I showed the video to my mother, who happens to be a retired university professor and Doctor of Education.  She has taught children how to read for her entire adult life and she also most cried watching it.

What the fuck have we done?

Go to You Tube and search 'Donald Trump can't read' and look for the video from The David Packman Show.  See for yourself.

Edited by David Allen Perrin on 06 February 2017 at 2:00am
Back to Top profile | search

Mark J. Tomlinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2017 at 9:29am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

You do realize that this is ridiculous don't you David?
--Mark 

Edited by Mark J. Tomlinson on 06 February 2017 at 9:29am

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2017 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

i didn't interpretate it that way. The video strikes me as showing him
being defiant and intentionally dodging any attempt at providing
information..... not illiterate.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 06 February 2017 at 10:22am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I think "functionally illiterate" is an overly harsh assessment, but judging by his vague, meandering speech patterns, his simplistic vocabulary, and that he apparently never touches books, he's probably not among the more literate Presidents we've had.

This, IMO, is the assessment that rings the most true: Donald Trump is just a puppet who doesn’t care about anything.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2017 at 11:03am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

But why Mark?

Do you believe Trump when he tells you how 'smart' he is?

That he knows 'the best words'?

That he 'knows more than the generals'?

Do you really think he was top of his class at Wharton (as he has claimed he was), speaking in the manner he does, and admittedly not picking up and reading book as a matter of just plain curiosity?  

Edited by David Allen Perrin on 06 February 2017 at 11:04am

Mark J. Tomlinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2017 at 3:18pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

David,

None of those things were what you originally posted, and are frankly irrelevant. He's a blowhard. Fine. 

You posted statements saying he is functionally illiterate. You then post a link to a Youtube video to try to buttress your argument. The video's essential argument is that Trump is having difficulty reading a written statement during a deposition. Trump says he doesn't have his glasses and that the writing is small. The video's argument is that they don't believe Trump wears reading glasses. You then try to reinforce this by saying you mother, (who you offer as an expert in reading aptitude) was nearly in tears after seeing the video. 

There are numerous videos showing Trump has no problem reading, and also wears reading glasses. But you ignore this and draw a ridiculous conclusion. Is he the most eloquent of Presidents? Absolutely not. But that's not what you were arguing. 

I get it - you don't like Trump. That's fine. But if you don't see how absolutely ludicrous it is of you to state that Trump can't read, then I don't know what else to say to you, and I frankly can't even believe I'm wasting time arguing over it. 
--Mark

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2017 at 4:43pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Trump can probably read.  We've seen the tweets, after all.    Comprehension may be the bigger problem.

Edited by Kevin Hagerman on 06 February 2017 at 4:44pm

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2017 at 4:48pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Would it be 'ludicrous' if you found out he was dyslexic?  

I'm being 'mean' because I do indeed detest Trump.  But beyond me being an asshole (and I am indeed) there seems to be LOTS of admittedly anecdotal evidence to suggest that the man at the very least has difficulty reading. 

Plenty of adults have made it far in life without having a reading level beyond that of a 3rd grader.  And many of those people are not wealthy with resources available to bridge the gap for them.  

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2017 at 5:04pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

My understanding is that the entire "Donald Can't Read" campaign is to do to him what he did to Obama with "Obama was Not Born an American". Putting together flimsy clues and snippets and using the usual conspiracist rhetoric of "Well, we don't know he can't read, but who's to say?"

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2017 at 5:45pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

As far as I know, the "Trump Can't Read" bit started on Samantha
Bee's show. She was satirizing Trump's conspiratorial rhetoric about
Obama and HRC, by starting a conspiracy theory about Trump in the
same style.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2017 at 8:01pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Ah, social media....
Neither Trump, nor Sam Bee, are illiterate...but they're two different kinds of stupid.

<< Prev Page of 444 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version