Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 444 Next >>
Topic: Acting Presidential Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2016 at 9:19pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Just like the business that it is, newspapers are in business to sell newspapers... and they can't even do that well enough these days. And as readership declines, so does quality. I've been interviewed for my local newspaper, and when the articles appeared, it's like everything I said (even, for one interview, via a prepared statement) was either taken completely out of context or ended up meaning completely opposite of what was really said. Most of that I attributed to the reporter having a fundamental misunderstanding of the subject of the article and either taking bad notes or, worst case scenario, coming into the situation with a agenda and taking 'soundbytes' to solidify some confirmation bias about the subject.

And this was just at podunk, local town level journalism. Extrapolate that situation out to a major newspaper and world-defining subject matters. Forget accusations of liberal or conservative biases in the news, I'm surprised if anything I read/see/hear in the news is the 'whole' story.

"Oh, but Michael... they're concentrating on online readership these days..." Yuh-huh. Because everything I read on the internet is gospel truth, too! LOL
Back to Top profile | search

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2016 at 11:41pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Jill Stein is going to demand a recount in 3 key states:  Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania. There have been reports of voting irregularities in those states.

I won't link her website where she's requesting money to pay for the recounts.  Here's the money needed and the deadlines to request the recount:

Wisconsin: $1.1 million by Nov 25
Pennsylvania: $0.5 million by Nov 28
Michigan: $0.6 million by Nov 30

She has currently collected enough for the fees, but additional money would be needed for court challenges, etc.

It's going to be VERY interesting to see what happens if the recounts happen.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2016 at 11:52pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I wrote my post above with the Paul Ryan conflict of interest scandal in mind. I went from here over to Facebook and found out about the Melania Trump/ Secret Service boondoggle taking place wherein Trump stands to clear well over a hundred million dollars charging Trump Tower rents to the Secret Service men who will have to set up offices to protect the First Lady and her son in their capricious-seeming, clearly calculated decision to live away from the White House. 

That's not just a hundred million taxpayer dollars being wasted. That's a hundred million taxpayer dollars going directly into the President's pockets. How many welfare cheats are we going to have to drug-test and disqualify to make up for that chunk of change? A lot, since the testing always costs more than the money saved disqualifying those few who fail. And Trump supporters, all of whom seem to think "Hillary" is spelled with a "K," are screaming false equivalencies about Obama's golf games and trips abroad (fewer than W's, but y'know, "Equivalency!!"), none of which put a dime in his bank account. 

Trump would have to serve more than 250 terms and give up his salary for all of them just to pay for this one decision; a decision made before he's anywhere near the Oval Office. There will many, many more decisions just like this one to come.

Zero accountability. Massive profits for the President before he's even taken the oath of office, and all at taxpayer expense. Literally taking millions from the taxpayers and paying it to himself. White supremacists in the White House. The new head of Social Security wants to dismantle Social Security. The new head of Education wants to dismantle public education. And we haven't even begun yet.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2016 at 7:40am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Trump stands to clear well over a hundred million dollars charging Trump Tower rents to the Secret Service men who will have to set up offices to protect the First Lady and her son in their capricious-seeming, clearly calculated decision to live away from the White House. 

Surely this isn't true. Or legal.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2016 at 1:11pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I read he's also pushing for foreign diplomats to say in Trump accommodation in Washington.

LINK to Washington Post article.

From the article: “'Why wouldn’t I stay at his hotel blocks from the White House, so I can tell the new president, ‘I love your new hotel!’ Isn’t it rude to come to his city and say, ‘I am staying at your competitor?’ ” said one Asian diplomat."

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2016 at 1:32pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Yeah, I mentioned that on the first page. 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2016 at 7:24pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Knew I'd read it somewhere :)

Edited by Peter Martin on 24 November 2016 at 7:24pm

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2016 at 4:48am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Jill Stein has enough money to request the recounts in WI, PA, and MI.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2016 at 10:29am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I'm just curious here, because I cannot find an instance where this has ever happened.

IF Jill Stein is successful in getting the recounts in those 3 states and IF they do find irregularities to the point where a full recount needs to be done, then what?  Those 3 states aren't included in the electoral votes totals on December 19th?  Meaning, officially, Trump hasn't won.

Say they do the recount, find out X number of votes should have gone to other candidates or they just weren't counted, thereby giving those states to Clinton.  (She'd have 272 then)  So that means everything Trump has done since the election is for naught and Hillary has some catching up to do!

I'll say this though, I seriously doubt anything is going to change.  I really don't think a recount will be done in any of the states.  And even if they're done, it's going to be 2000 all over again, only times 3, with lawsuits, etc.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2016 at 2:19pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

If only this would happen. 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2016 at 4:53pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

But the law is totally on his side. The President can't have a conflict of interest.

Cos he says so.

Not even a President whose business owes more than half a billion dollars to the Chinese.

Besides, he's going to set up a blind trust.

Run by his kids...

No possible way for him to know what the business is doing then!

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2016 at 8:44pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Trump didn't understand what was meant when the person interviewing him talked about Presidents placing their business interests in a blind trust. By him, everything will be fine just having his kids run everything and not talk to him about any of it (right...) even though he's going to spend a large part of his presidency operating out of his offices in New York... (uh, huh...)

Remember when Obama being away from the White House on vacation was a bad, bad thing..? Yeah. This presidency is going to be unprecedented in the amount of time our Chief Executive will be away from the office doing other things, mainly raking in cash. Lots of it ours. 

Gosh, I hope no one attacks us or any of our interests while he's off building hotels, sorry, not talking to his kids about the hotels being built out of the offices he'll be operating from.

Good thing someone's finally doing something about all this government corruption! Like... showing us all how its really done!

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 444 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version