Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 444 Next >>
Topic: Acting Presidential Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2017 at 7:37am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I think Spicer ad libs occasionally, but his message is most likely on point from #45. The entire administration is inept, unthinking and motivated by priorities that do not include the best interest of the people. I would be surprised if Spicer was let go over this unless there is widespread condemnation from the people supporting the president. Somehow I don't think I'm going out on a limb by saying #45's supporters don't give two shits about insulting Jewish people or about minimizing Hitler's atrocities.
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2017 at 8:45am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Spicer said a dumbass thing, then compounded it in his later efforts to clarify what he meant. He has followed that up with an apology in which he admitted he screwed right up. I'm inclined to say, people make dumbass mistakes and if they say sorry it isn't the end of the world.

Do I think he was trying to deny the holocaust? No. Do I think he was trying to clumsily make an ill-advised point that Hitler didn't use chemical weapons on the battlefield? Yes, I'd guess this is what he was trying for and then got himself in a hole.

Possibly what he was reaching for was that Syria seems to have stockpiled and used chemical agents that have little use beyond a means to kill, such as sarin, as opposed to methane and hydrogen cyanide, which have common industrial uses -- but there's also a good chance Spicer's thinking has never ventured that far, so I'm not sure.

I'm inclined to give Spicer the benefit of the doubt that he wasn't intentionally downplaying Hitler's war crimes and it was an ill-advised comment borne out of clumsy stupidity. Not the best trait for a press secretary, of course... 

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2017 at 9:53am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Peter, I think your assessment is fair, but people might find it hard to give him the benefit of the doubt since this is the latest in a long list of stupid comments. My guess is that Trump told him to get out there and "make Assad look bad. Even Hitler didn't use chemical weapons, so mention that". Spicer was most likely going off of bad info and isn't smart enough to question the info he is given or the person giving it.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2017 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Spicer-Man, Spicer-Man
Does whatever a Spicer can
Spins a web, full of lies
Hides his boss' Russian ties 
Look out!
Here comes the Spicer-Man!

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2017 at 11:23am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

In this day and age it's become commonplace to compare any dictator (or even any garden-variety political opponent, for that matter) to Hitler.  So it's not surprising that someone would eventually feel the need to take the historically-ignorant comparisons up a notch and say someone is "worse than Hitler."  It wouldn't surprise me if Spicer was instructed to put this message out there.  Perhaps they are trying to lay the foundation for an invasion of Syria.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2017 at 11:30am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Whatever the case regarding Spicer's message, he proved ONCE MORE that he's in over his head and ill-equipped for his position, like many in this administration.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2017 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Jason C: "In this day and age it's become commonplace to compare any dictator... to Hitler."

It is? I don't know that I've heard such a comparison very often at all. Still, Godwin's Law applies.

Jason C.: "Perhaps they are trying to lay the foundation for an invasion of Syria."

Or at least the Sudatenland. (Okay, sorry 'bout that one.)

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2017 at 1:05am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Eric Sofer wrote:
It is? I don't know that I've heard such a comparison very often at all.

The spurious Hitler comparisons are everywhere.  Conveniently illustrating my point, in today's news, Larry Pittman of the North Carolina house of representatives compared Abraham Lincoln to Hitler. 

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2017 at 2:55am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

There are a fair few people that have been comparing Trump to Hitler, especially in his methodologies of early day power grab, thereby laying the foundations for later day dictatorship. So, yes, those comparisons are out there.

Spicer though, is just an idiot. I'm not prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt. It is yet another example of how he will just say anything to try to justify his message. Remember, this is the man that tells so many lies that we now have the phrase 'Alternative facts'
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2017 at 2:58am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Is he actually an idiot or is he trying to the best of his ability to articulate the ramblings and tweets Trump spews daily? Lord knows it would be difficult to put a positive spin on the nonsense coming out of the man. 

If this is true, can't wait for Spicer's tell-all book once he gets fired. 

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2017 at 3:24am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

He's an idiot Neil

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2017 at 3:46am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Is he actually an idiot or is he trying to the best of his ability to articulate the
ramblings and tweets Trump spews daily?

----

That's not an either-or.

<< Prev Page of 444 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version